You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Default The Dark Tower

Well this is probably the appropriate part of the forum for discussing one of my favourite books of all time - The Dark Tower by Stephen King
I am interested in knowing if there are some people other then myself on this site that have read the books and are eagerly anticapating news on the movie. Last bit of news was that Ron Howard would direct and Javier Bardem was on board to play Roland Deschain and for the last 7-8 months the only bit of news was that Universal Pictures decided not to make the movie. It was supposed to be 3 movies and 2 TV seasons to cover all 7 books in the series. And now today I read that they were gonna cut $45-50 million from the budget and change the ending. Which kind of pissed me off.
So I'm interested in what people think of this whole situation, and if there are fans of the book here maybe give some of your ideas for possible casting choices and other things related to the production and the whole story in general.
I am also trying to vent this information in any form I can so even no disccusion is fine but I just need to mention it somewhere or I will go crazy
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Psychonaut

A new book is due to be released next year.

The Wind through the Keyhole (April 2012)

Quote:
For readers new to The Dark Tower, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE is a stand-alone novel, and a wonderful introduction to the series. It is a story within a story, which features both the younger and older gunslinger Roland on his quest to find the Dark Tower. Fans of the existing seven books in the series will also delight in discovering what happened to Roland and his ka tet between the time they leave the Emerald City and arrive at the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis.

This Russian Doll of a novel, a story within a story, within a story, visits Mid-World's last gunslinger, Roland Deschain, and his ka-tet as a ferocious storm halts their progress along the Path of the Beam. (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.) Roland tells a tale from his early days as a gunslinger, in the guilt ridden year following his mother's death. Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Book of Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, "The Wind through the Keyhole." "A person's never too old for stories," he says to Bill. "Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them." And stories like these, they live for us.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 AM   #3

Yeah can't wait for it! Have to find time to read through the first 4 books till then
I only discovered The Dark Tower a few years ago and couldn't even imagine what it felt like for readers who read the first book when it was published back in 1982 and finished the story in 2004.
I didn't have to wait for any of the books and that is in a way as good as it is bad. On one side I think I would go mad waiting for years for the next book in the series to arrive but at the same time it would have been nice to prolong the journey of Roland and his ka-tet for as long as posible and I am glad that I have at least one book in the series which I get a chance to anticipate and read fresh
Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
In an evening of July...

I loved the first three books, but it all went downhill from there. I gave up on the series after the fifth part, but still consider "The Gunslinger" to be one of King's best works.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #5

While not directly related to Ron Howard's ongoing/stalled production, a Dark Tower movie poster makes a cameo near the beginning of the film The Mist.

For further reading, there is also the popular Peter David written comic book, recently collected in the giant Dark Tower Omnibus.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Flower bower bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandesch View Post
I only discovered The Dark Tower a few years ago and couldn't even imagine what it felt like for readers who read the first book when it was published back in 1982 and finished the story in 2004.
I did exactly that. I had read and really loved the first three books in the series, and then pretty much gave up on King ever finishing it. By the time the later ones came out, I had to start all over again, which was actually a good thing as far as continuity went. I have mixed feelings about some of the later books, especially the introduction of
Spoiler:
the author into the storyline
but I think King redeemed himself with the ending.

I think translating the stories to the screen would be very difficult to do well.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
I think translating the stories to the screen would be very difficult to do well.
That's what they said about The Lord of the Rings as well. Get someone talented enough AND in love with the books to do it and the sky is the limit...
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Easily amused

HBO may be resurrecting it:
http://blastr.com/2011/10/ron-howard...medium=twitter
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Psychonaut

There is also a Whooooole bunch of comics/Graphic Novels.

1 The Gunslinger Born
2 The Long Road Home
3 Treachery
* The Sorcerer
4 The Fall of Gilead
5 The Battle of Jericho Hill

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
6 The Journey Begins
* Sheemie's Tale
7 The Little Sisters of Eluria
8 The Battle of Tull
9 The Way Station
Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #10

Lady Kestrel I know what you mean, when I got to that part of the book I had to stop reading, grab a cigarette and say holy s*** I hope he knows where he's going with this
Great news about HBO, if that happens maybe it would be better to make all of the books into a TV series that way nothing has to be cut from the story and it would last longer.
I got the first two graphic novels and love them.
To be honest when I first heard about them trying to make a movie I secretly hoped Clint Eastwood would be on board, I know thats a bit naive but wouldn't it be great?
I'm also in the club of people who want Mel Gibson to return as Mad Max but I'm just a dreamer
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #11

Finally we are back on the Path of the Beam

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/stephen-kings-the-dark-tower-wjavier-bardem/
Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
In an evening of July...

I'd much rather see it as an HBO series, to be honest.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #13

Wait a minute. HBO? Series? Holy Underpants! I can't believe I didn't think of this before. They should cast Ian Mcshane for something . He could be Cort or Calvin Tower (Lovejoy anyone?).
Have to read the books again to find a suitable character.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Advie.1

ALL Hail the crimson king

hey,thanks guys for such thread ..anyone got his hands on the Wind through the keyhole yet! i ordered it 2 days ago but it will take a month holy crap!
cant wait!!

and one more thing wasnt better for telltale to go and find any book of SK like the Stand Maybe Better than this overrated the Walking dead.. i lost interest in the middle of the 1st season anyways ,cant even stand to even play it!