You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Firefly fans... good news?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
Friendly Server Admin

Default Firefly fans... good news?

Good news for those who are/were fans of Joss Whedon's Firefly. They've been trying to get a movie made ever since the show was cancelled, and Universal had agreed to look at the project. Now it looks like a film called "Serenity" has appeared on universalpictures.com's "coming soon" list. Possible good news
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

FireFly is/was sort of a nice series in a Star Trek: Voyager-season-1 kind of way, except Firefly had a few genuinely brilliant moments, and the writers actually seemed to care about character development. I liked it quite a bit even though the Western angle was contrived. Thanks to you for recommending the series last month

I hope that movie works out, cause FireFly was really written as a series that you sort of had to follow every week or you'd miss something. There were many threads that developed slowly, and I'm not sure how they'd change the concept to work on the big screen. I'm still very interested though.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:54 AM   #3
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
FireFly is/was sort of a nice series in a Star Trek: Voyager-season-1 kind of way, except Firefly had a few genuinely brilliant moments, and the writers actually seemed to care about character development. I liked it quite a bit even though the Western angle was contrived. Thanks to you for recommending the series last month

I hope that movie works out, cause FireFly was really written as a series that you sort of had to follow every week or you'd miss something. There were many threads that developed slowly, and I'm not sure how they'd change the concept to work on the big screen. I'm still very interested though.
Great show--hope the movie works out. Marek, have you ever ever watched Buffy or Angel? They've got the serial storylines too--spanning multiple episodes, and seasons. Joss Weadon (creator of all three shows) certainly is good at what he does.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:07 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I've seen one episode of Angel, and a whopping zero of Buffy. I know I probably should. Maybe I'll try and get into it when there's a whole season on bittorrent. They're showing Angel and Buffy very inconsistently on Dutch TV.

I heard a lot about some Buffy episode that was basically a musical and it didn't suck. I'm still really curious about that.

By the way, I thought the directing for the episode in which the captain nearly 'loses his ship' was really, really good. Somehow the direction really stood out in that episode, and it's probably my favorite. It was also quite refreshing to see the plot revealed already halfway through the episode, and instead the whole thing focused on the characters.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Heh "Once with a feeling" was a great Buffy episode.

But somehow I've always liked Angel more, I hope it'll get a place in UPN or some other network so that the series can continue.

Warner sucks in many ways, big time.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #6
Disciplined Breakdown

Angel is much deeper, darker, and more mature. They are however both incredibly awesome shows.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well, apparently all major networks suck. I don't know about WB, but FOX cancels all the good shows, and UPN is the network that made Star Trek: Voyager an unwatchable 25-year-male-audience boob&action fest and introduced guest stars like The Rock. (Does that betray a little bias? I'm sorry emma, bashing Voyager is in my nature.)

Anyway, I doubt UPN could support a show like Angel if it's like you've described it.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 AM   #8
Jumping peanut on a stick

I always thought Buffy is a bit... naive? C'mon, skinny little teenage girl fights bad guys, who are 10 times bigger and stronger as she is, for breakfast. However, the lamest show must be Sheena- Queen Of The Jungle. Top model, who looks like she just walked from fashion-parade, is jumping around in the deepest jungle, heh.

Heck, at least Xena looks like a warior.

Last edited by Igor; 02-25-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:03 AM   #9
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Where IS emma btw? She hasn't been around in a long time.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:17 AM   #10
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Well, apparently all major networks suck. I don't know about WB, but FOX cancels all the good shows, and UPN is the network that made Star Trek: Voyager an unwatchable 25-year-male-audience boob&action fest and introduced guest stars like The Rock. (Does that betray a little bias? I'm sorry emma, bashing Voyager is in my nature.)

Anyway, I doubt UPN could support a show like Angel if it's like you've described it.
Heh... I actually described Firefly to my sister thusly: "C'mon, it's really good! You can tell because Fox cancelled it after the first season!"

Seriously, they've cancelled all my favorite shows... Futurama, Family Guy, Greg The Bunny, The Tick (live action, not animated), and The Critic (they cancelled it the second time, after picking it up from ABC who cancelled it the first time).

Incidentally, The Rock is one of my all-time favorite SNL hosts
Old 02-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

You probably know this already, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Family Guy
(http://www.planet-familyguy.com/main.php?mod=faq)

Will there be any new episodes?

35 new episodes are going into production after successful DVD sales and ratings of re-runs of the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
The Reggienator

I've been watching now a show called Tru Calling on Fox network.

It has starring Eliza Dushku, Buffy-verse's own Faith the vampire slayer.

I think the show has potential, but it could get the Fox axe and get cancelled after the first season is complete, wich is very sad if that happens.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #13
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
You probably know this already, but:
Yep
Old 02-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

By the way, for those looking for other good TV shows, I highly recommend Showtime's "Dead Like Me." The first season will be out on DVD in May sometime.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

I'm a big fan of 24, or at least, the first two seasons. I haven't got around to watching the third series yet.

Another good TV show I find, is Smallville. I only recently got into this, but if you're any kind of comic book fan or a Superman fan, you should watch it. Althought they've adopted a poetic license with it, and made a few things up, it's still a cool series!!

I thought the Rock was great on SNL also, the Nicotrel skit was very entertaining!!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian

Quote:
I heard a lot about some Buffy episode that was basically a musical and it didn't suck. I'm still really curious about that.
Marek, Once More With Feeling is awesome. A great episode, with surprisingly good musical numbers. I can still recall many of the tunes, and have found myself humming them on more than one occasion.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #17
Disciplined Breakdown

Quote:
I'm a big fan of 24, or at least, the first two seasons. I haven't got around to watching the third series yet.

Oh man, the first season was soooooo cool, the second one was pretty awesome too. The third one started really really slow, and is finally like 12 hours in starting to get mindbendingly exciting.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:01 AM   #18
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I never saw 24 on tv, but a friend bought the Series 1 DVD box set at christmas and a group of us finally thought "we're bored, lets try it out". So we sat down to watch it two days ago and we're now up to 10am and are hooked. It's just got such a great pace and a fun twisting plot.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:22 AM   #19
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Am I the only one who thought 24 was seriously underwhelming? I only saw the first three episodes, mind you, but I expected it to be a lot better.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:26 AM   #20
The Reggienator

No you're not alone.

I've watched two episodes of 24 and that's about enough for me.

« *cries* | hey »