You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What is your Myers-Briggs Personality?

View Poll Results: What is your Myers-Briggs personality?
1. Extraversion 2 6.90%
1. Introversion 23 79.31%
2. Sensing 6 20.69%
2. Intuition 18 62.07%
3. Thinking 16 55.17%
3. Feeling 9 31.03%
4. Judging 17 58.62%
4. Perceiving 7 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Developer

Default What is your Myers-Briggs Personality?

Adventure gamers on a whole seem to have a different approach to gaming. I'm curious if there is a common adventurer personality. If there is a common adventure gamer, perhaps developers can develop towards that player type.

Here's the test if you don't happen to know your Myers-Briggs type: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Please select Extraversion or Interversion, Sensing or Intuition, Thinking or Feeling, and Judging or Perceiving. The polls system does not allow for 16 options.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Lovable rogue

We had a thread on this a while back.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3429

I seem to recall being INTJ.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

INTJ, scoring especially highest on Introversion and Intuition. I invariably design my own games from this perspective, even knowing that the INXX types are among the rarest, statistically speaking.

(That said, I do take this measuring of personality with a grain of salt sometimes, as it's been studied that some attributes tend to correlate with others, and other attributes, such as Neuroticism vs. Stability, aren't even taken into account. I personally have a bone to pick with Thinking and Feeling as opposites, because I know I do a lot of both. It could be just the way they're named, though.)

Still, I am indeed interested in the poll results, and would also be intrigued by what it is that certain personalities like about adventure games as opposed to others. As we've no doubt seen on these very forums in terms of arguments about story vs. puzzles, 2D vs. 3D, etcetera, there is no single "common adventure gamer" to begin with.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #4

I could have picked either option for many of the questions, so I think the results are more reflective of a particular mood than a general description. I fall right in the middle of the S/N category, so I picked both in the poll. I was at 44%, while T and J were both about 25%.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

INTJ. I'm highest on intuition and judging, lowest in thinking.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Caffein Queen

Oh my, I'm a ISTP!
I=67%, S=1%, T=50% and P=22%

Seems my career should be in Computer Programming or Engineering of some kind A Crafter Artisans...

Not sure how that fits with loving adventure games.
Of course, adventures are all about solving something/finding a way, which I guess programming is sort of about too, right?

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
Life and times of...

I won't go checking back to what I got the last time, which was probably a little different at least on the numbers, but this time I had:

INTP
Introverted 89 Intuitive 62 Thinking 50 Perceiving 33

I guess... But that test is the kind where I at least can make quite different answers at different times, especially when the questions are in English.

(Edit): Well what do you know, on the social service side my most suitable job would be a lawyer (corporative). Exactly what I've been thinking would be a good way to go from law school... That or a professor
Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
merely human

We had the same thread about this a while back, yes. Here's what I posted then:

Odilon Redon, Guardian Spirit of the Waters (1878).

I'm an INFJ (Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging). This is interesting, I am the type that is the rarest of all (1%). I only took this test because this fellow, a respondent from San Francisco - and himself an INFJ - stated that I'm uncannily similar to him in psyche and that I had to be one.

Quote:
INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents.....This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers." As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type.

Due in part to the unique perspective produced by this alternation between detachment and involvement in the lives of the people around them, INFJs may well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil.

Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills. Since in addition they often possess a strong personal charisma, INFJs are generally well-suited to the "inspirational" professions such as teaching (especially in higher education) and religious leadership. Psychology and counseling are other obvious choices...

Their systems may for these reasons be conceptually "blurrier" than analogous NT ones, harder to measure in strict numerical terms, and easier to take for granted -- yet it is these same underlying reasons which make the resulting contributions to society so vital and profound.

Typelogic.com
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #9

I'm the same as Intreprid - at least when it comes to Myers-Brigss Personality Type test. And this means that I'm a INFJ type of person.
Sometimes,though, I'm a INFP, but that's only when I don't understand the questions in the test correctly.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
kamikaze hummingbirds

ISFP
Some aspects of the description are true to myself ("hearing the different drummer",etc.), whereas others (competitive?) are not so true.

Last edited by Hammerite; 12-28-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Unreliable Narrator

Something pertinent I wrote a little while back, particularly considering that most of us are turning out to be introverts.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #12

I'm not bothered by teams in mulitplayer games. I wouldn't want to be part of a guild, though, just hook up with someone for a one time thing. Battlefield 2 (as well as other CTF games) was awesome. I doubt I'm as big an introvert as you are, so that's one thing different.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #13
It's Hard To Be Humble

I've done this sort of test several times in my life, and always come up INFP.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #14

What I find fascinating from this small sociological study is that not only do are almost 90% of us Introverts, we're almost also all INFJ's as well or INTJs.
I know a sample of 16 people isn't much, but I don't think a sample of say a 160 people will make the main lines of the small study go away...

I know that I like to play adventuregames and singleplayer rpg games since I like a good story and the great characters I can meet in these games - just as I also enjoy reading books due to the same things...

Now, if game makers, developers and publishers just would take such -ehm- demographics & statistics into consideration when they build and design their games, then maybe, just maybe, we would get better adventure games
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #15
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Something pertinent I wrote a little while back, particularly considering that most of us are turning out to be introverts.
This is actually one reason why I decided to post this poll. That and after our discussion about whether there is a need for social play in adventure games. And as the lone extrovert in this poll (and I actually bounce back and forth between the two), I think it would be interesting to expand the poll to other genres of games to determine if adventure gamers are introverted or if its simply a quality of gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323
Now, if game makers, developers and publishers just would take such -ehm- demographics & statistics into consideration when they build and design their games, then maybe, just maybe, we would get better adventure games
This was my other reason.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvllrgrs View Post
I think it would be interesting to expand the poll to other genres of games to determine if adventure gamers are introverted or if its simply a quality of gamer.
It is at least as likely to be a quality of people who post in web forums. (Or maybe just people on the AG off topic forum.)
Old 01-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #17
Unreliable Narrator

Good point. After all, the people who post here and stay here usually do so because they have stuff in common with everyone else here...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #18
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
We had a thread on this a while back.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3429

I seem to recall being INTJ.
Oh. My. God. Reading that old thread brought back so many memories, or rather a sort of disbelief - was I really like that? I must have been going through some pretty rough times.

Still an INTP. The P/J vary from time to time, and during the heydays of my student life the test categorised me as an E for a while... but I think I'm really more extraverted these days, I just accept my introversion better.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #19
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I'm Chaotic Good...erm, I mean "INTP".

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #20
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Here's what I posted in that previous thread:

INTJ
Introverted 56
Intuitive 25
Thinking 1
Judging 67

And here's what I got this time:

INTJ
Introverted 33
Intuitive 12
Thinking 50
Judging 56

Hmm...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.