You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #1821
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. Yes and no. I don't think anything is completely original, because everyone's inspired by something, but I do think there's plenty of room for people to put their own spin on things.
2. Who is this "we" you speak of? I couldn't care less about line breaks, so long as they did their job.
3. "Inquisitive Stranger". (Because although "Uptight Square" amuses me, I don't seriously think that's how I'd like people to remember me.)

P.S. I have a cousin called Jing, and apparently my skin tone's probably too dark and my hair's too short for you.

1. What do you think of girls with short hair?
2. What do you think of guys with long hair?
3. Under what circumstances would you shave your head?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #1822
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. I really like short hair on girls. I've never been a girly girl and would wear my hair a lot shorter if I only would look good in a short haircut.
2. I haven't got one opinion for every guy with long hair. It all depends on hairstyle, hair quality and such.
3. If my hair would start falling off here and there I'd shave it all off.

-----

1. Do you often rearrange the furniture in your home?
2. What's your most loved furniture in your home?
3. When buying furniture, would you get an expensive item that would be around for a looong time or would you rather get an IKEA-price item to be able to change furniture more often.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #1823
JKR

Quote:
P.S. I have a cousin called Jing, and apparently my skin tone's probably too dark and my hair's too short for you.
Shucks. Ah well, I'm taken anyway.
I imagine you as your avatar (as I'm prone to doing on message boards).

Quote:
1. It's fine. Not my cup of tea, but then I always imagined if I were a girl I'd grow my hair long and do all sorts of wild things with it. So I guess I'm just resentful that those girls get to be girls and yet aren't taking advantage of the perks.
2. I had long hair, once upon a time. It was in a ponytail. I loved it. Then recently I saw some pictures of myself with the long hair and UHG it was terrible looking. Oh well, fun while it lasted. I think some guys can pull it off well.
3. Not just for kicks, but I wouldn't have much of a problem shaving my head. Hair grows back (most of the time). I never understood people who flip out about having their hair cut. It's like "Hello? Wait 4 months and it will be back to normal, no big deal!"

EDIT: Whoops! I was beaten to the punch. I'll leave those answers and do the new ones too!
Yes, but not usually major changes. Just a chair moved here and something else there. I don't have a huge house, and the great room (as I call it) has the TV where the cable is, so it can't move a lot.
Probably my bed. After years of having a crappy bed (several, actually) I was thrilled to have a nice new mattress. So comfy...
3. When buying furniture, would you get an expensive item that would be around for a looong time or would you rather get an IKEA-price item to be able to change furniture more often.
IKEA, for certain. I like changing things, and I'm an artist, so I have no money anyway.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO

1) Do you care what your hair looks like?
2)) Do you think of message board users as their avatar, or imagine what they really look like based on their posts?
3))) Would you rather people's avatars were a picture of themselves or not? (And WHY? Ooo, now it's a deep question!)
Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #1824
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
A few very simple questions this time:
Simple? Ok, they are not particularly profound, but they're not easy to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
1. No.
2. A CD-shelf.
3. Option c): Something IKEA-priced (or second hand) to be around for a looong time.

(Disclaimer: I still haven't settled into a real home where I can imagine myself staying for years ahead. My furniture answers should be read in that light.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
1) Do you care what your hair looks like?
2)) Do you think of message board users as their avatar, or imagine what they really look like based on their posts?
3))) Would you rather people's avatars were a picture of themselves or not? (And WHY? Ooo, now it's a deep question!)
1) Yes. I'm certainly not obsessing with it (I only wash it and leave it at that - no wax or spray), but I care more now than I did a few years ago. I like my hair colour, too.
2) Avatars. That's what they're for. (If only some people would change them less frequently!)
3) Typically not. That's more fun.

---

1) What do you think of if I say the two words "brass band"?
2) Is there any avatar on this board you find particularly fitting to its owner?
3) Do you like your hair?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #1825
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
I imagine you as your avatar (as I'm prone to doing on message boards).
Euthanaesia the Prophetess is indeed based on me, except all my hair is black and I no longer wear glasses, thanks to LASIK. I've got some real pictures of myself buried deep in this thread. Perhaps I should update it with new ones.

Also, I keep my hair short because I'm a lazy bum and don't see constant hair maintenance as being a "perk". Then again, I don't particularly enjoy many traditionally "girly" things in the first place, as you can probably tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
1) What do you think of if I say the two words "brass band"?
2) Is there any avatar on this board you find particularly fitting to its owner?
3) Do you like your hair?
1. Heaven.
2. Most of them are by default, because people generally tend to pick avatars that represent them in some metaphorical way, if they don't use pictures of themselves. Honourable mentions include RLacey as Monk and tabacco as Sam Eagle.
3. I love it, until it gets long and skater boi-like. Fortunately, all I have to do is get someone to cut it.

1. If you had a spirit guide at your side in the form of an animal, what would it be?
2. What do you think of eyeglasses?
3. Do you like Harry Potter?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #1826
JKR

Quote:
I've got some real pictures of myself buried deep in this thread.
Then again, I don't particularly enjoy many traditionally "girly" things in the first place, as you can probably tell.
Geez you're going to make me dig through a hundred page thread?!
Anyway, I can understand about the traditional girly thing. My wife is the same way. She prefers video games and gadgets over perms and jewelery. That's why I need to be girly enough for both of us, so I do the cooking and cleaning and clothes shopping. (Though honestly, there's just not enough variety in men's fashion...)

Quote:
1. If you had a spirit guide at your side in the form of an animal, what would it be?
2. What do you think of eyeglasses?
3. Do you like Harry Potter?
1. A fox, definitely. I used to imagine I had an invisible pet fox when I was growing up. He and I would explore places together, and it was so cool that he could go places that I'd get in trouble if I went.
2. I like them. I have glasses, and I think even if I got surgery I'd still wear the frames. I feel better in glasses than not. Also, I couldn't have surgery because if anything comes near my eyes I punch it. Reflex, I can't help it.
3. I did. I still do, kinda. I loved up to Book 4, but then 5 was the worst thing I've ever read. EVER. 6 was fine and 7 was a good ending. Now I've finally put the series behind me. By the end I just wanted it to be done and over with.

----------------------------------------

1. Which was the best Harry Potter book?
2. Do you prefer films or live plays?
3. Let's say you grew on a tree. What would the tree look like?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #1827
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Geez you're going to make me dig through a hundred page thread?!
You can actually search individual threads by username (there is a Search this Thread link at the top right)

But to save you some time here's one I found for you already.

Quote:
1. Which was the best Harry Potter book?
2. Do you prefer films or live plays?
3. Let's say you grew on a tree. What would the tree look like?
  1. Can't say I'm a big fan of any of them. Glad she got kids to read but I don't find her work that inspiring.
  2. Live plays. A film will be the same every time you watch. Live performances will always be different. Even if you only see a play once it's still an experience unique to that one performance.
  3. Interestingly entangling branches.
  1. What's a good way of dealing with back pain? (such as I'm experiencing right now for no good reason I can think of)
  2. Do you actually read all the questions and answers every time you look at this thread?
  3. Auditing is a job full of thrills and excitement. Discuss.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 AM   #1828
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
  1. What's a good way of dealing with back pain? (such as I'm experiencing right now for no good reason I can think of)
  2. Do you actually read all the questions and answers every time you look at this thread?
  3. Auditing is a job full of thrills and excitement. Discuss.
1. Get a massage. Mrs Urhan would probably be able to provide you with a nice back massage, but it could be well worth visiting a masseur. When I used to have severe neck pain I regurarely visited a doctor of Naprapathy who helped me a lot. It's kind of expensive though.
2. I've skipped a few, but I've definitely read most of them.
3. Well it could be like an adventure game I guess. Finding the clues for what a crook this client really is.

-----

1. How much do you decorate your home for Christmas?
2. What's your favourite Christmas tradition?
3. What's your favourite Christmas food?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #1829
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
But to save you some time here's one I found for you already.
Thanks!
And Squinky I wouldn't say you have really dark skin OR really short hair! At least not in that picture. Your skin tone is nice, and very similar to most of my friends actually. And when I said short hair, I meant like this:

Just not my thing. But now I've derailed the topic, so back to questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post

1. How much do you decorate your home for Christmas?
2. What's your favourite Christmas tradition?
3. What's your favourite Christmas food?
1. Less than I used to. Not because I don't want to, but now I think about how much it's going to suck to take them down in a few months.
2. Hmmm... Well I really like Christmas Eve service at my church, but I'll have to go with "Stockings on Christmas Morning". I may be married with my own house, but "santa" still brings Christmas stockings will all sorts of fun treats and tiny presents, and I love going through them all with family.
3. Eggnog is about the only food I know that's specific to Christmas!

.................................................. ...........

1. Do you like to dress up in fancy clothes for the holidays or stay in your pajamas?
2. If you could take one day a week off from work/school, what day would it be? Extend the weekend? Mid-week break?
3. Do you prefer colored toilets or white ones? (As random a question as they come.)
Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #1830
Lazy Bee

Quote:
3. Eggnog is about the only food I know that's specific to Christmas!
Oh man, you really should experience a Swedish Christmas smörgåsbord. Such a lot of yummy Christmas food!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #1831
Unreliable Narrator

Well, my hair looks like that when I get it cut. But on the bright side, at least I don't wear eye makeup that makes me look like a raccoon, so... okay, yeah. Back on topic.

Quote:
1. Do you like to dress up in fancy clothes for the holidays or stay in your pajamas?
2. If you could take one day a week off from work/school, what day would it be? Extend the weekend? Mid-week break?
3. Do you prefer colored toilets or white ones? (As random a question as they come.)
1. I'd stay in my pyjamas all day, everyday if I could.
2. Well, my schedule this term was set up so I got about half a day off every Tuesday and Thursday, and it worked well for me, so I'll go with that.
3. Hey! The politically-correct term is "toilets of colour", thankyouverymuch. (And you, sir, get a random answer.)

1. Do you ever find yourself narrating your life?
2. Do you ever find yourself referring to yourself in the third person?
3. How about in the second person?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #1832
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. Do you ever find yourself narrating your life?
2. Do you ever find yourself referring to yourself in the third person?
3. How about in the second person?
1. Sort of. My first novel is about someone who is very much like me.

2. I don't think so.

3. I never understood what second person means.

[insert row of random characters here to make a separation line break thingy]

1. Do you get along well with yourself?

2. What have you achieved that you are proud of?

3. What would you change about your personality, if anything?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #1833
JKR

Quote:

[insert row of random characters here to make a separation line break thingy]

1. Do you get along well with yourself?

2. What have you achieved that you are proud of?

3. What would you change about your personality, if anything?
3 (1). I never quite got second person either.

1. Most of the time. Only when I'm in a bad mood do I get angry with myself. Usually because I'm doing something I know I shouldn't/don't want to be doing.
2. http://www.FredtheMonkey.com for one! (Shameless plug? No... No of course not... ) I try to take pride in all the little accomplishments, even if no one else knows about them. I'm especially proud of how far I've taken Fred the Monkey, though, because he started out as scribbled little comics some 10 years ago...
3. I wouldn't be so selfish. Sometimes, try as I might to avoid it, I get jealous of people around me and momentarily wish they'd fail a little bit. I don't like the feeling and don't want to be that way, so I keep trying to improve. If I could change it just like that, I would. It doesn't happen often, I suppose it's left over emotion from back in high school when I felt that way a lot.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1] Which is the better waffle: Blueberry or Plain?
2] Do you think it's okay to leave a toaster plugged in all the time?
3] Fight or Flight?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #1834
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Quote:
3 (1). I never quite got second person either.
First person: I go to the shop.

Second person: You go to the shop.

Third person: He goes to the shop.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #1835
tsa
Playing character

That I understand. But how would you define an adventure game 'in second person'?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #1836
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1] Which is the better waffle: Blueberry or Plain?
2] Do you think it's okay to leave a toaster plugged in all the time?
3] Fight or Flight?
1. Plain!

2. That depends on wether it uses electricity or not when switched 'off'.

3. That depends on so many things I don't know where to begin. I'd flip a coin if I were you.

(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)-(§)

1. What shall I do to improve my place?

2. Do you often use a webcam to speak to someone?

3. How shall we conquer global warming?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #1837
Unreliable Narrator

1. Make it messier.
2. Ugh, no. If I can't have face-to-face communication, I'd rather use text.
3. By realising that we really need to get over this obsession with "conquering" stuff.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 AM   #1838
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
1. No thanks, I don't smoke.

2. I was called Mr. Shy by my friends during the two days I spent in Second Life.

3. is not so bad. Spam however, is a terrible waste of the Internet's resources.

^*&*^*&*^*&*^*&*^*&*^*&*^*&*

1. I liked your answer on my global warming question, Squinky, so I'll rephrase that question: What should we do about global warming, and why?

2. What is the worst thing somebody has ever called you?

3. Have you ever had your car or motorcycle crashed by somebody else?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #1839
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
That I understand. But how would you define an adventure game 'in second person'?
Most Interactive Fiction is written in second person. For graphical games, the terms have taken on slightly different meanings, so that "third person" basically means that you can see the main character on the screen, but if you look through the eyes of him/her/it/them instead, it's called "first person". There is no common definition that includes second person. (I could think of a few, but making up my own terms is more fun than useful.)

Quote:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
2. (This forum has no blushing smiley, or I'd use that instead.)

---

Edit: I was beaten, so no new questions from me this time. Observe tsa's post.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:58 AM   #1840
Psychonaut

Quote:
1. I liked your answer on my global warming question, Squinky, so I'll rephrase that question: What should we do about global warming, and why?

2. What is the worst thing somebody has ever called you?

3. Have you ever had your car or motorcycle crashed by somebody else?
1. Nothing. Global Warming is just another way for the government to extract money from me by nefarious means. Even if it is true it is happening that slowly that i'll be long dead before serious side effects are felt hence I don't care.

2. Far too rude to broadcast on a family friendly channel.

3. I've had accidents that were not my fault, but I don't let others play with my car.

()*&%$&(()^%&*(*)(^*%&^%£*^%)(*&)_(*&^*&^%$&$£(& ^_)(*_)*^$

1. Which do you prefer Christmas or New Year?

2. Have you ever been in a fight?

3. What's the worst present you have ever received?