You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #2841
The Major Grubert.

[QUOTE=MoriartyL;524479]
  1. ...for the record, that's not a "scientific concept", it's a theory. Which I don't hold by.
Insert definition of scientific theory, which is based partly on fact.
  • I believe that men and women are mentally exactly the same, and that all differences in behavior come from either physical differences
Okay. I would use the term biological rather than physical (there's a difference).
  • or (more usually) differences in how they're treated by society.

Possibly because of the "differences in behavior come from either physical differences" (Again, I would use the term biological rather than physical.)
  • There's a huge discrepancy between how harshly we treat men, and how condescendingly we treat women. The theory of evolutionary roles is just propagating sexist stereotypes and should not be given legitimacy.

You're mixing evolutionary science with social behavior studies, a commen mistake. They are related, of course, but different.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #2842
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Gee, you say that like it's a bad thing or something!
Sorry what I meant was it sounded over intellectualised with a hint of feminist 'aggression', for want of a better word!

Quote:
1. What, in your mind, is feminism?
2. Do you consider yourself a feminist? If not, do you consider yourself a feminist ally? Why/why not?
3. Does it make sense to you for a person to say "I'm not a feminist, but I believe that men and women are equal," and why/why not?
I thought I'd give these a go considering your reaction!

1. It's a movement striving to universally achieve equal rights for women.
2. I'm not quite sure because while I understand and agree with their goals I don't appreciate the highly strung, hyper sensitive feminists that are almost looking for a reason to get on any high horse they can find. They're twitchy, aggressive, unflinching and full of man-hate! The activists working within political spheres are by far the most valuable and need support but in western culture I'd like to think that many modern, rational and sane people treat women equally anyway. It's the same with black people, homosexuals and other 'unequal' groups. The nutters who think otherwise will never listen and I hope they're dying breed along with their archaic laws, rights and regulations. I suppose I am an ally, but to be a feminist I'd imagine you have to be an active constituent.
3. Depends what you classify as being a feminist! See above^

+_-

1. I always hear how there aren't enough young black role models for young black people. Do you think people in these groups need role models that are of the same ethnicity and why?
2. Have you ever had a role model of a differing ethnicity?
3. If so, are you at all like them now? If not, why?

Disclaimer: My train of thought has been derailed a number of times by work so my apologies if some of this doesn't hold together so well!

Last edited by geggis; 09-24-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #2843
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

1. Hmm. From what I've heard about African Americans (and understand that I've never actually met any, so this could be patently false), they seem to be a very us-versus-them kind of people. So I would guess that if there's a white person who does something admirable, many black kids would just look for ways to vilify him and his good qualities would go unnoticed. But a black person, he's "one of us" so he can be a role model. So I guess, yes, it probably would be helpful for them to have black role models. But it would be even more helpful if they stopped paying attention to skin color so much and found role models anywhere.
  2. Well, I kind of see Shigeru Miyamoto as a role model, so that's a definite yes. I consider myself Jewish first, American second. Only one of the many people I look up to in a role-model-ish way is Jewish (a composer I know), and only one is an American (a comic book writer). Even the role model who's Jewish isn't really like me, because he's hyper-religious and Russian. So I think it's fair to say that what people look like, sound like, and dress like doesn't particularly matter to me.
  3. Neah, I'm not like my role models. I'm like myself. I see what they do as something to strive for, and I do strive for it, but I'm bogged down in my own problems and rely on my own strengths. I'm not going to be exactly like someone else.

=========================================

1. Do you see greater value in independence or in being accepted by others?
  2. Sum up what other people think of you in three words.
  3. Do you ever struggle to overcome your own biases?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #2844
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. Do you see greater value in independence or in being accepted by others?
  2. Sum up what other people think of you in three words.
  3. Do you ever struggle to overcome your own biases?
1. You can only be truly independent when you are accepted by people.
2. Friendly, smart, weird-shaped.
3. Yes I do. Sometimes I succeed. Then I have to think of something else to be biased about

§1234567890-=

1. Why are gyneacologists most often male and midwives female?
2. How do you feel about getting older and less flexible over the years?
3. What do you expect to be the worst part of dying?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #2845
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. You can only be truly independent when you are accepted by people.
I don't understand that sentence. Would you mind explaining?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #2846
tsa
Playing character

People have to tolerate your quirks and habits. If they don't, they will try to make you stop your behaviour or force you to ask permission before you start one of the things that irritate them.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #2847
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
2. Squinky or Trumgottist.
(If this forum had had a blushing smiley, I'd use it.)

Quote:
1. Why are gyneacologists most often male and midwives female?
2. How do you feel about getting older and less flexible over the years?
3. What do you expect to be the worst part of dying?
1. For the same reason doctors are most often male and nurses female. (Which is too complex for me to analyse.)
2. In general, I look forward to ageing, but I hope to avoid becoming less flexible.
3. Unless I'll die in an unusually awful way (I'd hate to drown for example), I don't expect the actual dying to be that bad, so the worst part of it would be for those left behind. (I hope I won't die before my mother does - it was really hard on her when my brother died.)

--

1. What was your most recent disappointment?
2. What was your most recent source of joy?
3. Favourite Beatles song?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #2848
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. Discovering I didn't have as much stamina as I expected for last weekend's band tour.
2. Making some progress on my current favourite project.
3. Strawberry Fields Forever.

1. How convinced are you of your own sanity?
2. How convinced are you of other people's sanity?
3. How many role models of a different gender do you have?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #2849
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. How convinced are you of your own sanity?
2. How convinced are you of other people's sanity?
3. How many role models of a different gender do you have?
1. I'm not sure. If with 'sane' you mean having a balanced mind, then I'm quite sane. If with 'sane' you mean, conforming to the demands of society, then I'm not sure how sane I am.
2. That depends on the person. And on the definition of 'sane.'
3. I don't need role models. I go my own way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Fans usually want to be like their heros. Who did you like to be like in your youth?
2. Have you ever found yourself in the company of world famous people?
3. Why would/wouldn't you like to be famous?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #2850
Lazy Bee

Quote:
1. Fans usually want to be like their heros. Who did you like to be like in your youth?
1. I can't remember ever wanting to be like any of the musicians I worshiped. I just loved them and that was all it was about.
2. Well, the only one I can think of is -in those days rather famous- singer Suzie Quatro whom I encountered at a TV show where I was in the audience. Afterwards us fans got to meet and greet her and the band. I was thrilled!
3. I'm a very ordinary person with no interest in any way to be famous. I want to live in a 'small world' most of the time. I'm most comfortable with a close circle of friends.

----------
Have a go at these questions again. They're much more fun than any of the questions I would be able to come up with right now.
Quote:
Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #2851
Unreliable Narrator

1. People who made a living being creative, especially game designers.
2. No, only people famous in the video game industry, which isn't really that famous in the grand scheme of things.
3. I like to know that there are people out there who enjoy what I create, so a little bit of fame appeals to me. I also know deep down that I'll never be an ordinary person, so I like to make up for that by being extraordinary in some small way. However, I don't like the idea of having my private life scrutinised in a celebrity-like manner.

1. How do you feel about Roman Polanski's recent arrest?
2. Can art be beautiful even if the artist is a person who has done cruel and hateful things?
3. Have you ever been pressured into doing something you didn't want to do that you did anyway because the consequences of refusing seemed worse?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #2852
the midnight rambler

1. Of course it's terrible and I wonder how much damage it has caused Samantha Geimer. 30 years ago is a long time but something so heinous shouldn't be forgotten or forgiven.
2. Absolutely. I find it very strange how knowing the artist can have an impact on ones perception of the art itself even if it can't be helped. Ideally art should be enjoyed without knowing the artist, that would be the purist way without being lumbered with the past and personality of its creator. Although in some cases the artist is an intrinsic part of the art itself, though I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.
3. I don't think so, or at least I can't recall any incident where the pressure has made me buckle. I don't let pier pressure get to me like that if I can really help it.

-_+

1. If you could have any 5 artists dead or alive for your own ultimate music festival line-up who would they be and in what order from start to finish?
2. Do you have 3 questions prepared before you answer someone elses questions or do you make them up after answering?
3. Why do you think there are more male than female comedians?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #2853
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
(If this forum had had a blushing smiley, I'd use it.)
<---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
1. If you could have any 5 artists dead or alive for your own ultimate music festival line-up who would they be and in what order from start to finish?
2. Do you have 3 questions prepared before you answer someone elses questions or do you make them up after answering?
3. Why do you think there are more male than female comedians?
1. John, Paul, George, Ringo and Ludwig van. And let them improvise something together on stage (just no "Roll Over Beethoven" - too obvious).
2. I only post here if I find at least one of the most recent three questions interesting, and only think about the questions after having replies done. Although I sometimes use the previously prepared questions that I didn't get to post because somebody replied to the ones I had wanted to answer before I finished typing. (Lost yet? )
3. Because, despite any stereotypes, men are statistically speaking more of attention whores.

QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM

1. What was your last "brilliant, original, and yours alone" idea for a story that you discovered some film/book/game/etc. had already used?
2. What is your least favourite character flaw that you freely admit to have but hate when others point out about you?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #2854
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
1. John, Paul, George, Ringo and Ludwig van. And let them improvise something together on stage (just no "Roll Over Beethoven" - too obvious).
That's not fair though it is quite understandable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
1. What was your last "brilliant, original, and yours alone" idea for a story that you discovered some film/book/game/etc. had already used?
2. What is your least favourite character flaw that you freely admit to have but hate when others point out about you?
1. It's not a story idea because my mind doesn't really work like that, but the gameplay idea behind Scribblenauts was one I'd conceived before hearing about the game. I imagined a wizard who used his 'spell' book to spell out objects to conjure them. It started out as a way of making spelling fun and rewarding. Actually, the story for Mr Robot was quite similar to something I had in mind, but I think my version was a much more stark and bleak premise.
2. I'm quite snappy at times and have a very discreet sarcastic streak too. I only realised it yesterday when my girlfriend told me that I'd been snapping at her all day. Some of it I thought was justified but in truth it wasn't and of course I don't like hearing it from people.
3. Bloody hell, this question stumped me a few posts ago from Trum. It changes all the time. Tomorrow Never Knows at the moment. I love it's whizzing psychedelic fireworks.

+_-

I asked these sometime ago but I'll give it another whirl.

1. What sort of reaction to you get when you tell people you play/create games?
2. How do you justify or explain your hobby/career to the uninitiated?
3. If you were to open their eyes to gaming what 3 games would you have them play?

Last edited by geggis; 10-05-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #2855
Unreliable Narrator

Don't remember if I answered these questions before, but I'll do it now anyway.

1. Same kind of reaction I get when I tell them I play the tuba: "that is so not stereotypically girly and therefore way cool!" with the occasional sideways glance.
2. I tie the conversation to other common interests, such as storytelling and social issues.
3. It really depends on the person and what I think they'd like. If they're completely new to games (which I'd expect if they want recommendations) then probably Blue Lacuna, Today I Die, and Chivalry is Not Dead. Or something like that.

1. Do you think it's socially irresponsible for game developers to specifically set out to create games that are addictive?
2. Tell me about the last time you were forced to question the status quo.
3. Mahnamahna?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #2856
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Don't remember if I answered these questions before, but I'll do it now anyway.
Unfortunately you didn't and I was fishing for Squink! I could've pm'ed you but this seemed more fitting.

Thanks for the answers, I'll be sure to check those games out.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #2857
Not like them!

1. No.
  2. The status quo of what? Of anything? I guess I was questioning the status quo of The Simpsons when yesterday's episode reverted to it. I was just wondering, would it really be so terrible to move forward a tiny little bit, in a tiny little aspect of the show that no one particularly cares about? I doubt this answer has anything to do with what you're thinking of, but I'm not a mind-reader.
  3. Doo dooooo doo doo doo.

==========================================

1. Do you prefer TV shows that have a comfortable status quo they jump back to, or TV shows that get so far away from the original status quo that it risks losing your interest?
  2. What is your feeling about happy endings in stories?
  3. If you absolutely had to watch a TV show that was market-tested to appeal to a certain demographic, what demographic would that be?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #2858
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do you prefer TV shows that have a comfortable status quo they jump back to, or TV shows that get so far away from the original status quo that it risks losing your interest?[*
What is your feeling about happy endings in stories?[*]If you absolutely had to watch a TV show that was market-tested to appeal to a certain demographic, what demographic would that be?[/list]

1. Generally speaking I tend not to watch much TV, but when I do it's often a PBS show like Nature or Nova. Now, if those shows went a different route and , say began to emulate cheesy cable shows on Discovery channel a la "The Most Shocking Shark Attacks EHVAR!" I would be furious. In general, TV is made up of genre fiction and genre shows. It doesn't make a lot of sense to markedly change a format because they risk making viewers feel cheated.

2. Happy is subjective of course... I suppose if it's what the author intended all along, then fine. However, I dislike a happy ending being stuck on in place of a "sad" one simply to make a more popular film, for example.

3. The nerd demographic.

1. What if anything gives you heartburn when you eat it?

2. Do you feel winter/fall depression?

3. Do you think that grocery stores should charge you for bags?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #2859
Unreliable Narrator

1. I have not, in recent memory, experienced heartburn. I'm probably going to get an ulcer with all the crunch time caffeine I'm consuming, however.
2. I used to when I was in school, but I suspect that's because midterm season used to start around the time it got ugly outside. These days, my depression or lack thereof stays at a more or less consistent level throughout the seasons.
3. I don't object to them doing so, but I also find it nice to have lots of bags on hand to use in my garbage receptacles.

1. Are you good at correctly spelling unusual names, once you've read them?
2. Are you good at correctly pronouncing unusual names, once you've heard them?
3. Puppies?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #2860
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
3. Do you think that grocery stores should charge you for bags?
Are you saying there are grocery stores that doesn't over there?

Quote:
1. Are you good at correctly spelling unusual names, once you've read them?
2. Are you good at correctly pronouncing unusual names, once you've heard them?
3. Puppies?
1. I haven't had much practice, in part because I've only lived in parts of Sweden without much immigrants, so I don't really know. Probably not, though. I can spell Erwin's last name though, and that's tricky.

2. Probably not as good as I think.

3. No, thanks. Dogs and I… that's not a good combination. They just bark and attack. Scary creatures.

--

1. Do you get scared by dogs, spiders or any of those silly things?
2. Favourite part of the day?
3. Most productive part of the day?