You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #2801
tsa
Playing character

Wow the 3 Questions Thread has reached a new high!

I agree completely with questions 2 and 3. I think question 1 needs some thinking though. It isn't profound enough.

---

I think I will leave these interesting questions to the next person. They are too good to discard them just yet.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #2802
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I was being serious, actually. But if someone would like to continue with the standard word-based stuff, go ahead. Someone can go back and do my questions later.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #2803
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I was being serious, actually. But if someone would like to continue with the standard word-based stuff, go ahead. Someone can go back and do my questions later.
(I'm on it. Need recording equipment, though, so I won't do it until tomorrow, which means someone will probably beat me to it.)
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #2804
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
1. It vaguely reminds me of an academy award winning film directed by James Cameron that came out around the same year I learned to play the tuba and discovered that I wanted to be creative for a living. That year, my family moved away and I had to start over and make new friends, which proved to be a very difficult process that took at least a couple of years. I suspect this loneliness in early adolescence is what caused me to miss out on stereotypical "girly" interests, causing me to prefer dreaming about filmmaking, claymation, and game development.
2. This was on one of the classical music tapes we listened to in Montessori school circa 1991. Several months later, my family moved away and I had my first experiences with bullying, though I didn't recognise them as such at the time. I'm not sure whether or not I still would have been bullied if we'd stayed where we were. I was a very eccentric kid, but alternative educational institutions tend to be better at catering to that sort of thing. It probably would have delayed the bullying rather than stopped it outright.
3. I played that bass line in 2002, the same year I first fell in love and finally released my first game, which I'd been working on since 1999. My family, fortunately, didn't move away that year, though my parents did start taking summer vacations to exotic locales and leaving me at home with my siblings -- the thrill of having no parents in the house more than counterbalanced the disappointment of not being allowed to come to said locales.

(Trumgottist or anyone else, do feel free to answer Mory's questions musically later on if you wish. I'm intrigued by the potential results.)

1. Why do you think I am the only female game developer at the company where I work? (i.e. do you think my theory about lost friendships in adolescence holds credence?)
2. Is there any genre of game other than adventure/IF that a) has a compelling story and b) does not feature violence as a primary gameplay mechanic?
3. Are a person's musical preferences/abilities mostly inborn, or mostly acquired?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #2805
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Trumgottist or anyone else, do feel free to answer Mory's questions musically later on if you wish.
Yeah, that was the idea. I'm surprised to see so many words addressed to a bunch of random notes I threw together in a few seconds. There's probably something interesting to say about that, though I have no idea what.
  1. That's a fascinating question. Here's my theory:
    Aggression is considered acceptable only for men, because it's useful for dealing with the outside world but is an unsuitable attitude for staying at home, raising kids, making your husband happy, and shutting up about it.Excitement is the easiest emotion to convey and game developers aren't typically known for their creativity, so most videogames try to excite players through action and aggressiveness. They therefore have the stigma of being connected to violence, so girls intuitively know to avoid them unless they're socially awkward girls who don't pay attention to what's expected of them. Only males would play games for long enough to be inspired by them without feeling embarrassed for doing something socially-unacceptable. So almost all videogame developers (even at companies which create non-violent games) are men.
  2. Simple answer: No.
    Less simple answer: There are lots of kinds of games (indeed, most) which could theoretically have great nonviolent stories, but they're not being pushed in that direction. Violent gameplay is tried-and-true, it's easy to repeat. And stories always have to follow the model of movies (because movies are tried-and-true), to which adventure games are closest. So the situation is not an inherent problem with videogames, it's the result of a lack of ambition in the Industry.
  3. I have no idea.

===========================================
  1. Do you prefer to see problems as problems with society or problems with the universe?
  2. What are your preferred methods of procrastination?
  3. How many countries have you been in?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #2806
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Yeah, that was the idea. I'm surprised to see so many words addressed to a bunch of random notes I threw together in a few seconds. There's probably something interesting to say about that, though I have no idea what.
  1. That's a fascinating question. Here's my theory:
    Aggression is considered acceptable only for men, because it's useful for dealing with the outside world but is an unsuitable attitude for staying at home, raising kids, making your husband happy, and shutting up about it.Excitement is the easiest emotion to convey and game developers aren't typically known for their creativity, so most videogames try to excite players through action and aggressiveness. They therefore have the stigma of being connected to violence, so girls intuitively know to avoid them unless they're socially awkward girls who don't pay attention to what's expected of them. Only males would play games for long enough to be inspired by them without feeling embarrassed for doing something socially-unacceptable. So almost all videogame developers (even at companies which create non-violent games) are men.
  2. Simple answer: No.
    Less simple answer: There are lots of kinds of games (indeed, most) which could theoretically have great nonviolent stories, but they're not being pushed in that direction. Violent gameplay is tried-and-true, it's easy to repeat. And stories always have to follow the model of movies (because movies are tried-and-true), to which adventure games are closest. So the situation is not an inherent problem with videogames, it's the result of a lack of ambition in the Industry.
  3. I have no idea.

===========================================
  1. Do you prefer to see problems as problems with society or problems with the universe?
  2. What are your preferred methods of procrastination?
  3. How many countries have you been in?
Interesting answers Moriarty. I have to think about them, which is impossible at the moment because of the warm weather.
I will now answer your interesting questions.

1. I am a ß person so I am not very good in societies' problems. I prefer problems with the universe.
2. Cleaning, reading mail, browsing Slashdot.
3. Let's see...
Holland
Germany
Belgium
Luxembourgh
France
Denmark
Sweden
Switzerland
Italy
Greece
Spain
England
Japan
Canada
~~~~~~+
14 countries

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Question number 1: What would you like to improve about yourself?
Question number 2: What would you like to achieve by improving that?
Question number 3: What is your best skill, according to you?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #2807
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
I'm surprised to see so many words addressed to a bunch of random notes I threw together in a few seconds.
Well, I interpreted your musical clips as prompts. I could have just as easily written similar answers had I been presented with pictures.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #2808
Not like them!

Each bit of music was half a statement, where it seems like it needs another little bit to resolve it. So they were basically straight questions, meant to be answered as they were asked. But I didn't really expect to have to explain it, I just thought the next person would pull out a microphone and answer them. My mistake, sorry.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #2809
Game Creator Hobbyist

On the other hand, non-obvious interpretations can be good, too. Your questions are another example of that.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM   #2810
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Question number 1: What would you like to improve about yourself?
Question number 2: What would you like to achieve by improving that?
Question number 3: What is your best skill, according to you?
  1. I'd like to have more of a work ethic.
  2. Well, it's kind of hard to achieve anything without a work ethic.
  3. Improvising music, I guess.

================================================== ==

1. Why is it so dark?
  2. How difficult would it be to light it up?
  3. Who's going to do that?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #2811
Unreliable Narrator

1. Because you're wearing a blindfold.
2. It depends on whether your arms are tied up behind your back or not.
3. Well, it wasn't me who did it, if that's what you mean.

1. What do I have in my pocket?
2. Why are unicorns hollow?
3. Are my experiences still legitimate if you haven't had similar experiences yourself?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #2812
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. What do I have in my pocket?
2. Why are unicorns hollow?
3. Are my experiences still legitimate if you haven't had similar experiences yourself?
1. You feel 5 feathers.
2. Corn stalks are always hollow.
3. Duh! If you fall down in the forest, do I hear your one hand clap?

----

1. Are you aware of the fact that you are almost completely rebuilt every 3 months or so?

2. Do you feel you have improved yourself in the past 3 years?

3. What crime would you like to commit?

Last edited by tsa; 08-25-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Corrected a hideous spelleling error
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #2813
Game Creator Hobbyist

1. No, but I think I've heard it before.
2. Yes. More in some areas than others, and there's still room for improvement (isn't there always?).
3. None.

Ok, those were boring answers (and I don't have any questions at the moment), so I'm leaving the questions for someone else.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #2814
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. Nope. Never heard that before.

2. Definitely. It was probably around three years ago that I began becoming more individual and a tiny bit more open and expressive (still working on that last one).

3. I've always wanted to break into somewhere like Buckingham Palace - not even to nick stuff, just because it would be the best game of hide-and-seek ever.
___

1. As a shy person, would involving myself in a student radio station be a good way of breaking out of my shell or an accident waiting to happen?

2. How tolerant generally are people of someone (i.e. me) who doesn't drink alcohol?

3. Any general hints relating to anything to share with the rest of the class?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #2815
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
1. As a shy person, would involving myself in a student radio station be a good way of breaking out of my shell or an accident waiting to happen?

2. How tolerant generally are people of someone (i.e. me) who doesn't drink alcohol?

3. Any general hints relating to anything to share with the rest of the class?
1. I think it'd be good. A project like that makes it easier to interact with people. For me, it's been about playing music with people (I don't know what my life would have been like without it, but my guess is that I'd been a completely anti-social programmer or something).

2. Usually very tolerant in my experience. (I don't drink either.) It was different in my teens, but I can't recall any situation as an adult where my non-drinking has been met with anything but acceptance.

3. Use… the claw-thingy…

--

1. What kind of music is most likely to get you to dance?
2. What kind of behaviour in others do you find it most difficult to tolerate?
3. If we were walking down a crowded street together, and I started to sing or dance, how would you react?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #2816
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. I enjoy quite a lot of music - if someone wanted to get me to dance (it's near impossible if there's anyone around), then they'd have to play music like the examples below:Along those lines, anyway.

2. Demonstrating my recent discovery of the list function:
  • Playing music on mobile phone speakers (no matter what it is, though the stuff people who do this play irritates me no end).
  • Wearing those glasses with the shutters on them. It just annoys me to see them.
  • The guy who was on the local news once who was fathering around thirty children and had a decent living off of child benefits so he didn't have to get a job, then to have the tenacity to say that he was having all these children because he wanted to ensure there were more 'native Britons' than immigrants who were 'nicking all our jobs' (or something along those lines).
  • Tabloid newspapers getting on their moral high horses about games, TV shows, films, etc. when they pretty much sell papers on the back of manipulated photos, 'scandals' and sensationalism.
  • People who sing along to songs way too loud and drown out the professionals.

3. I'd make a list.
  • using the list function.
___

I'll carry Trum's questions on, given that he just answered mine.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #2817
the midnight rambler

Quote:
  • Playing music on mobile phone speakers (no matter what it is, though the stuff people who do this play irritates me no end).
  • The guy who was on the local news once who was fathering around thirty children and had a decent living off of child benefits so he didn't have to get a job, then to have the tenacity to say that he was having all these children because he wanted to ensure there were more 'native Britons' than immigrants who were 'nicking all our jobs' (or something along those lines).
  • Tabloid newspapers getting on their moral high horses about games, TV shows, films, etc. when they pretty much sell papers on the back of manipulated photos, 'scandals' and sensationalism.
  • People who sing along to songs way too loud and drown out the professionals.
Hammerite, I'm with you all the way with these.

Quote:
3. I'd make a list.
  • using the list function.
hahaha

Quote:
...not even to nick stuff, just because it would be the best game of hide-and-seek ever.
I'd love to steal a car for the best game of cat-and-mouse/chase ever!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #2818
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
1. What kind of music is most likely to get you to dance?
2. What kind of behaviour in others do you find it most difficult to tolerate?
3. If we were walking down a crowded street together, and I started to sing or dance, how would you react?
1. Disco, funk, soul, and show tunes.
2. These days, it's getting into my personal space without my consent.
3. By singing the harmony part, of course!

1. Is it possible to miss out on something you don't really want in the first place?
2. Are there any experiences that you feel are absolutely essential for all people to have?
3. Would you like a hug?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #2819
Vini Vidi Vici

1. Is it possible to miss out on something you don't really want in the first place?

A: Yes I think it is. If said event turns out to be the talk of the town for the next decade or so.

2. Are there any experiences that you feel are absolutely essential for all people to have?

Everybody should experience hunger (even if in just a small way)
Everybody should feel scared once in a while with what they are about to dive into
Everybody should feel the intense joy of witnessing a sunrise in the himalayas or a starry night on the African Savannah; or the thrilling sense of being alive that can hit you unexpectedly for no specific reason.

Hey this could turn into a long list.... so I'll stop here...

3. Would you like a hug?

Yes please. Unless it is from someone who as just been swimming in smelly slimy goo...

New questions.

1. What is your favourite date of the year?
2. Do you believe in a life after death
3. Have you ever tasted real liquorice and did you like it?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #2820
Unreliable Narrator

1. It's a tie between November 23 and March 14.
2. Yes -- at the very least, dead people live on in the memories of their still-living loved ones, and some leave behind legacies that last for millennia.
3. I don't recall having done so.

1. Do you ever find yourself liking a work of art less if its creator holds views you find offensive?
2. Do you ever find yourself concerned that a view you hold might offend someone?
3. Do you ever find yourself concerned that someone might have the wrong idea about a view you hold and will feel offended when they probably shouldn't?