You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #3861
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I barely ever talk to people I went to university with anymore. But then, I was a bit of a recluse and lived with my parents an hour away from campus. Apparently, it's easier to make lasting friendships if you live in the dorms.

Also, the "people in university are more mature" thing is a myth, particularly with all the binge drinking going on. Yes, some people are mature, but it's about equal in proportion to people who were mature in high school.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #3862
It's Hard To Be Humble

I'm so tired right now. All sorts of running around. I have to make dinner in a while, but I really think I'm going to have to go lay down. I can't sleep during the day anymore, but just putting my head down sounds so right.

And hugs going out to Paul and Jaz.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #3863
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Also, the "people in university are more mature" thing is a myth, particularly with all the binge drinking going on. Yes, some people are mature, but it's about equal in proportion to people who were mature in high school.
Heh. I came to the conclusion some time ago that people don't get more mature as they get older - they just get better at hiding their immaturity.

(Obviously this is a sweeping generalisation.)

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #3864
Unreliable Narrator

There are also people I knew who were straight-A, goody two-shoes types in high school but went completely wild in university, once they started living away from home. But yeah.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #3865
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And then there are those of us who never went completely wild, and wonder whether we've missed out.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #3866
Unreliable Narrator

My friends in their thirties and forties seem to suggest we haven't really, which is consoling.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #3867
Creepy Father Figure

I remember when I was in high school that the college co-ed dorm was a great place to score chicks. Ahhhh, memories.

Quote:
Robsie Said
Heh. I came to the conclusion some time ago that people don't get more mature as they get older - they just get better at hiding their immaturity
You got that right brother. But of course you can handle responsibility and still lack maturity. In fact, Just the other day Mrs.R called me an immature bastard.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #3868
Unreliable Narrator

But was it a good place to score Crazy Goth Chicks?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #3869

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Heh. I came to the conclusion some time ago that people don't get more mature as they get older - they just get better at hiding their immaturity.

(Obviously this is a sweeping generalisation.)
Spot on! knowledge on its own doesn't make you automatic brighter neither does age, its how you use your experiences and knowledge.

I wish I found less predictable braindead people and more independent ones

I do notice how many people get intouch at University, its just mostly through alcohol which is pretty sad. I have a friend who didn't even drink for moral reasons ,but he changed and all he does is drink in order to get closer to people and make them "accept" him. Especially when trying to reach girls. Ugh...

In Norway people aren't so open, unless you know people from before. I have it easier to get to talk with people who are exchange students. So University hasn't really been much of a great place to meet people personally, its almost as you have to force yourself onto people (as no one comes to you) or attend and drink your way to gain contact.

What scares me in particular is the students morals and lack of sympathy! and they are going to be the futures psychologist/lawyers/sociologist/economics/doctors UGH...
(keep in mind speaking of just the majority here as I know there exist other people too)

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 06-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #3870
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
But was it a good place to score Crazy Goth Chicks?
LOL
They were Punk and Metal Chicks back then.
* Dates himself once more *

Last edited by rlpw; 06-10-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #3871
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

It's summer, but our office is freezing, so I have to wear a sweater at work...in June. Although, the Illinois weather has been pretty mild so far. We keep getting cold patches. I'm like, "Ok, great weather gods, it's freaking summer! Enough with the cold fronts coming through!"

I hate office drama or politics and for the most part, stay out of it. But we lost our two surpervisors this year, only months within each other, and no one really knows why. All kinds of rumors, and I did happen to talk to one supervisor outside of work after he left, but he could only give me small bits of info since his wife still works with us.

I feel sorry for her, because she knows the whole story with both of them obviously, but she can't tell us what the hell happened. So frustrating! I liked our supervisor, so it's still a bit of a shock that he's gone. I hate that companies keep employees in the dark about this stuff. I know it's company policy, blah, blah, blah, and they don't have to tell us a damn thing, but its still bugging me. I need closure on this darnit, and I'll probably never get it. *sigh*

I stay out of folk's business at work for the most part, but I still like to know what happened. In all the years I've been at this company, this has never happened, ever. We've never lost two main supervisors in a matter of months from each other. Course, maybe I don't want to know the truth. Maybe one or both of them was doing something shady and it would completely change how I saw them. But dagnabit, I still wanna know.

I hate loose ends at work. Just bugs me.

Other then that, I started an activity group on meetup for folks who suffer from depression, OCD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc. It's so hard to make new friends or maintain them sometimes, since we don't always fit into "normal" social groups. So, I decided to start a meet up group for folks like us. It's not a traditional support group. It's geared more towards socializing.

Meetup has a lot of mental illness groups on there, but they were all traditional support groups. I had my first meet up last Saturday for a movie. I find I like organizing things for other people to come to. I actually enjoy it. I've also been planning little outings for folks at work, and find I like doing that too. (For example, I am planning an outing to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago in July for my coworkers) I keep thinking I need to become some type of professional planner or something. Ah well. Maybe some day.

As far as computer games, I've been seriously slacking. We keep having computer issues, so I haven't been able to play much lately. Maybe that's a good thing. I could spend hours isolating on the computer playing games, but now I'm forced to find other things to do. I do want the new Still Life 2 game though. I am DYING to play that one since I loved the first one so much.

I've been spending more money on music lately, instead of games. Anyone remember the group Massive Attack? Still love them. Also purchased the soundtrack to Kill Bill, Donnie Darko, and remix stuff Space Monkey Versus Gorillaz recently. I also tried The Chemical Brothers but found I didn't care for them as much as I thought I would. (even though I like some techno/electronic music) I like techno or electronic music that's more "hauntingly beautiful" like Portishead. (at least, I think they used to be considered electronic) Can't decide if I want the new one from them though. I think Massive Attack is coming out with a new album as well.

I am always open to new recommendations if you think there are any "haunting" sounding techno/electronic groups I might like. They can be from any country, it doesn't matter to me. I am always looking for new music to listen to. I don't just like a dance beat though. I like techno/electronic music that could sound like a movie soundtrack, or more like regular songs with a singer, not just the same beats, over and over again. (sorry, but some techno/electronic music is downright boring. I'm really picky about it)

That's all for now kitties.

P.S. tsa, I am going to kidnap your bunny. That picture from a few pages before.....soooo adorable.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #3872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I'm feeling quite nervous about how I'm going to fair when, in a few months, I'll be going to university.
I'm really quite shy, and I'm therefore quite worried that I'll be spending an incredibly lonely three years...
Don't worry, man. I felt exactly the same way before I started university. In the first class I attended on the first day on campus I met this amazing person who I've been close friends with ever since. She saw past my social awkwardness. Besides university isn't just about social stuff, it's a whole new world of freedom. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride, friend.

Last edited by D.C.; 06-10-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #3873
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:

Eh. I think it depends on the school. Speaking for myself, the students I'm going to be studying with are mature because it's a serious school. In fact, it doesn't even allow students to have cars until they're sophomores, let alone party, so there's a lot of responsibility required. (How an immature guy like me got in, I don't know. )
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #3874
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
And then there are those of us who never went completely wild, and wonder whether we've missed out.
I know I missed out because of that. Sigh.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #3875
Creepy Father Figure

Dear Mistgirl,
Just breath.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #3876
tsa
Playing character

You seem to be doing well, MystGirl. That's great! And indeed, listen to rlpw. You can't do anything about the lack of info so try to accept it and move on. The ways of the management are unintelligable as well as unintelligent . As for Annabel, she absolutely HATES to be picked up so I dare you to try and kidnap her .
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #3877
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
As for Annabel, she absolutely HATES to be picked up so I dare you to try and kidnap her .
You just have to know how to grab them so they cannot hurt you while you.... never mind.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #3878
tsa
Playing character

I'm more afraid of me hurting her... she squiggles so much when I grab her. And she makes noises like she is crying to show her extreme dislike of what's happening to her.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #3879
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
My friends in their thirties and forties seem to suggest we haven't really, which is consoling.
I haven't stopped being wild in my 50s, but I can't speak for many of us...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #3880
Stalker of Britain

I'm so sorry to hear that, Jaz.

Well, in my selfish little bubble of reality when people are having actual problems...I miss Louie. I'm not too down, but I really am living when I'm with him.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes