You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What's your Halloween costume this year?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 AM   #1
Padme' Amidala

Default What's your Halloween costume this year?

I know it's too early but w hat do you dress up as on Halloween?I'm usually Wonder Woman or lara Croft.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I plan to do Halloween with Jat, as Amanda Evert and and Jat as Lara Croft.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Life and times of...

No Halloween here (well, it's commercially pushed here, but not really). And even if there were, I still wouldn't...

(So maybe my post is useless? Oh well )
Old 08-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Banned User

Little early don't you think?

Anyway, I usually don't do anything for Halloween. Last year I did because my gf wanted me to go to a halloween party with her, so I dressed up as Shaun of the Dead. But this year, I think i'll pass.

I do love the holiday though, lots of ghost stuff on tv.

Last edited by SakSquash; 08-16-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Second Degree Black Belt

I don’t know about costumes, but Halloween is one of my favorite occasions in the year. Maybe it's because I can scary little kids or maybe it’s the caramel apples yummy

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

No real chance to celebrate Halloween, now that I'm no longer at school.

But I do plan on changing the cut of my Drow (Naal'Suul) costume into a more medieval dress (the pattern I used for the costume was intended for a medieval dress anyway.), so I can wear it to the Medieval Fair in my area, next month.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Banned User

Medieval fairs rock...at least I think they would...nobody will take me to one.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #8
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
No real chance to celebrate Halloween, now that I'm no longer at school.

But I do plan on changing the cut of my Drow (Naal'Suul) costume into a more medieval dress (the pattern I used for the costume was intended for a medieval dress anyway.), so I can wear it to the Medieval Fair in my area, next month.

-

my family and I go to this one just about ever year here in Georgia... is this the type of festival you are talking about?

http://http://www.garenfest.com/

Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
my family and I go to this one just about ever year here in Georgia... is this the type of festival you are talking about?

http://http://www.garenfest.com/
Well, similar I guess. But the one I'm talking about is really medieval, not Renaissance. Also, they don't have any rides (you can however try axe throwing, and archery, and stuff like that. Last year they had a string puppet stage for the kids [I was sitting in the window niche last year, opposite the stand of a maker of musical instruments, and I was working on some drawings. Sometimes he would play a short melody on a pipe, or on one of the stringed instruments. It really was a lovely place to sit. I think this year I'm going to buy a bone pipe. The stage was not far away from the stand, and when the next performance began, I had too flee. Too many people.], and other things. I think I once might have seen a small, hand turned carousel for the smaller kids.).

It takes place in a local castle ruin, and is lots of fun. There's all kinds of people there. Stands with goods (a friend of my mother has a small cart where she sells all kinds of things there. Dried Herbs, gems, and sea shells. We bought a Nautilus shell from her two years ago. My mother was very surprised when she met her there, because she didn't know that her friend had a stand there.), jewellery, artwork. There's food stands (very varied things. Not your standard "Fair" food. There's no fried sausages, or popcorn. They have things that at least *feel* medieval. Tarte flambée made with Matzah. Garlic bread made with something resembling Tzatziki and small Pita-like bread[though it wasn't actually Tzatziki. You had to add the garlic to the cream yourself, and you had the choice between actual garlic, and Ramsons. I always take Garlic, because I don't think Ramsons tastes a lot like Garlic.], and I can't think of anything else right now.), people dressed up in medieval dress (and that one instance of two kids that had an uncanny resemblance to Hobbits, due to the fact that they had curly hair, and their parents had put capes on them.), that guy that's there every year with his tame ferrets, and a few fake lepers. There's people with trained falcons, a fortune teller, and there's always that nicely decorated open tent with a dog that looks like a greyish Mastiff (at least as large).

According to Karfunkel, they have a medieval Market (obviously), a parade, an Exhibition (I saw that one. It's very interesting. I think they mean the permanent exhibition, but I'm not sure.), a concert (in the amphitheatre), and a Tournament (I have yet to see this even once...I always seem to miss it). There's also several workshops, like basket weaving for the kids.

Here's the page. It's in German, but I linked you to the page with the links to different picture galleries ("Bilder" means "Pictures").

It's very interesting, because many of the craftspeople actually work on things while they are there. You can watch the basketweaver working on a new steep-walled basket just as well as you can watch the smith work in his makeshift forge (as far as I know, the weapons might be for sale too. I know that the bows and arrows can be bought. Of course that costs quite a bit, because it isn't mass produced, and takes a lot of work.)

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 08-16-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #10
Second Degree Black Belt

that looks and sounds very nice..... please take lots of pics this year and show them off. I would love to see them.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
that looks and sounds very nice..... please take lots of pics this year and show them off. I would love to see them.

I added a link to their webpage, so you can look at some pictures already.

But I promise, I'll try and take lots of pictures this year myself.

-

Old 08-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
Second Degree Black Belt

great if you decide to buy the bone pipe make sure and take pics of that too.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #13

I was sitting in the window niche over there. This picture is from the year before, though.

That's the cart of my mother's friend, and my mother's friend (the lady in creme red)

One of the performances. With an eagle, instead of a falcon. The theme for 2004 was "Oriental Market", as you can see.

The 'Potions' stand. My mother bought my father a love potion. It's actually different wines and beverages made from combinations of berries.

Ah, yes. The public bathtub. In all these years I still haven't figured out if those are some of the owners sitting in there, or if there's actually people that will undress in public there and take a bath with several strangers. Not my kind of thing, really. But I saw how someone climbed inside that tub in one year, so I guess there's not always the same people sitting in there.

-

Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
Second Degree Black Belt

the bath tub.... ummmmm that is strange, that's not my thing either. The other pictures remind me of "craft fairs" that some states have. Like where I from in Canton, Ga, every year on Mothers Day the hold an Indian Festival. Local Indians come out and sell their goods and have food from their culture. It is great I love going there.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #15
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I shall be doing nothing for Halloween. Except for avoiding young children dressed up as skeletons, witches and assorted other nefarious people/creatures.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I shall be doing nothing for Halloween. Except for avoiding young children dressed up as skeletons, witches and assorted other nefarious people/creatures.

And don't forget the terrible Princesses! They're pink!

-

Old 08-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #17
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Well, true. Fortunately I'll be back at university, and the number of young children wandering around central Oxford is fairly low.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #18
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Medieval fairs rock...at least I think they would...nobody will take me to one.
Aww, if I had known you could have come with me to Gotland!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #19
Lazy Bee

Jaz
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the craftsmen and stands from the medieval fair at Gotland appear at the Hayner Burgfest as well. There were a lot of Germans at at the fair at Gotland. One of the attractions was a German band playing Celtic music with bagpipes and drums. Never caught the name of the band though.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

My costume from last year.