You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The opposite sex?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #141
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Re: Moderating:

Basically, if you're planning on being a "resonsible" moderator (and you should be ;P ) it's not that great.

Most of the time it's just maintenance stuff... moving/merging threads, deleting spambots, maybe approving registrations and helping people fix their user info depending on what type of setup you're running, helping with using the forum in general, yadda.

The rest of the time you're trying to defuse and/or clean up after a forum fight. Meh.

Re: Dating Sites:

I've thought of posting to one of these (there's a Geek site called Peer 2 Peer that looks kind of interesting). There aren't many place in my area I'd want to socialize, I generally don't end up working in places that have the type of guys I'd want to date, and the few people I've met online who I'd consider dating live absolutely nowhere near me.

The problem, though, is that I'd want to be friends with a guy before I decided whether I thought we'd work as a couple or not, and a dating site tends to start off with the expectation/pressure that there'll be a relationship. So I've been waffling on it.

Of course, at the current moment I'm neither in a fit financial (pretty much totally broke) or physical (fat and with a frustratingly nasty complexion that won't improve no matter what I do to it) state to date right now anyway, so it's rather moot.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 AM   #142
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney
It's not healthy to be by myself as much as I am, and I need to start taking some risks if I want to get my life back...so, yeah, I was nervous as heck signing up for a profile, but I also hope I end up meeting a lot of great people--in person!! Yay! lol
I think you have the right attitude. If you're open with who you are and you have a goal to meet new friends/a gf, that's what you will do. But be patient and don't expect to find Miss Perfect. I believe some people are just too picky with looks or they want someone wealthy. If the chemistry is right, you'll feel it!
Go get 'em!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #143
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
The problem, though, is that I'd want to be friends with a guy before I decided whether I thought we'd work as a couple or not, and a dating site tends to start off with the expectation/pressure that there'll be a relationship. So I've been waffling on it.
I admire you for always knowing what you want and how you want it. But why don't you try to let go of what you've already decided. Try something new and see what happens. Like a dating site.
Quote:
Of course, at the current moment I'm neither in a fit financial (pretty much totally broke) or physical (fat and with a frustratingly nasty complexion that won't improve no matter what I do to it) state to date right now anyway, so it's rather moot.
Money is always a problem isn't it. But you really shouldn't let your looks be in your way because that's very unfair to yourself. You have a very nice face, Yeah, you look great! If you're not happy with your weight: Use your excellent abilities to structure and make an weekly exercise plan: power walking, sit ups etc. It doesn't cost you more than your time.
Damn it!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #144
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
how do you meet people?
Aren't you at college or something? If you are: There you go! (Yeahyeahyeah, says the boy who messed it up in the worst way possible at college and didn't get over it(or better yet: her) for the rest of his time studying there. God, I don't wanna go through that EMO crap again. )

Quote:
Quite often shit like that is all in your head... in your headinyourheadinyourheadinyourhead. Money sucks, though.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:23 AM   #145
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
If the chemistry is right, you'll feel it!
Go get 'em!
Exactly...besides, I'm big on personality. I'm kind of a goof, so sense of humor/whimsy is pretty important. And talking. I'm a maaaaajor talker, lol, so hopefully I'll meet people who can talk me under the table and through the floorboards. So, yeah, a woman with a gregarious personality is a plus. And maybe, oh just maybe....could she be into adventure games? Okay, maybe THAT might be pushing it....
Old 08-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #146
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Agreed with what the others said, that stuff isn't as important as being who you are. There are TONS of people on the AG forums I'd love to meet, and I don't have any idea WHAT they look like. They make me laugh, make me think, and always have me looking forward to seeing what stuff they're going to chat about next.

In my 20's, that wasn't always true, I wanted to sow my wild oats, party, and if I perceived a woman as being "hot", I went for it. But people grow out of that. If I don't mesh with someone when talking with them, joking with them, just hanging out--it's just not going to happen. And that could be online, on the phone or in person, so looks don't enter into the equation there for me.

Now being broke, on the other hand, that's a deal-breaker. How'm I gonna seduce and con money outta a woman who doesn't have any? That's, like, Rule No. 1 in "The Grifter's Handbook"!! j/k.....
Old 08-25-2006, 04:38 AM   #147
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Exactly...besides, I'm big on personality. I'm kind of a goof, so sense of humor/whimsy is pretty important. And talking. I'm a maaaaajor talker, lol, so hopefully I'll meet people who can talk me under the table and through the floorboards. So, yeah, a woman with a gregarious personality is a plus. And maybe, oh just maybe....could she be into adventure games? Okay, maybe THAT might be pushing it....
I agree that personality is the most important. Looks, financial status or occupation aren't vital factors unless it's extreme of some sort.
If you do find a gregarious (just learned a new word!) girl who happens to play adventure games you'll have to let us know!
Old 08-25-2006, 04:44 AM   #148
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
If you do find a gregarious (just learned a new word!) girl who happens to play adventure games you'll have to let us know!
If I can find a woman who has all the personality traits AND loves adventure games, I'm handcuffing myself to her!! LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #149
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Gah! The off-topic sidethread that wouldn't die! What've we started?

Quote:
Basically, if you're planning on being a responsible moderator [...] it's not that great.
That's very important to note, IMO, though I always keep thinking it's clear, because at least that was clear on the places I mod'ed - mainly because the people there knew they were a rumour-spreading bunch of hot-headed warmongerers. I say that with love. Anyway, I keep forgetting not everyone sees it that way, and, in effect, has no idea how tough the job can be [which of course depends greatly on the type of community].

Um, I digress. Point is - you really don't want to be a mod. Which takes care of how to become one.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #150
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Aren't you at college or something? If you are: There you go! (Yeahyeahyeah, says the boy who messed it up in the worst way possible at college and didn't get over it(or better yet: her) for the rest of his time studying there. God, I don't wanna go through that EMO crap again. )
Yes, I am in college. And I haven't found anyone decent around there yet. So, your point is...?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #151
capsized.

Quote:
So, your point is...?
I, er, ... Your avatar is cool!

Actually, I don't know. But there's plenty of people on campus. Usually...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #152
Unreliable Narrator

This is true. However, it's the unfortunate case of so many people around and yet so little opportunity to really get to know anyone well... *sigh*
Old 08-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #153
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Quote:
I admire you for always knowing what you want and how you want it. But why don't you try to let go of what you've already decided. Try something new and see what happens. Like a dating site.
Well, the thing is, I already "tried" dating a guy that I didn't know well before dating him. After a few weeks it became apparent that we had nothing in common, and barely even clicked as friends, let alone boyfriend/girlfriend. There were other factors as well, and it was kind of an all-around bleh experience.

Granted, most dating site's "profiles" and whatnot reduce that likelihood a little, but I'm still wary.

Quote:
In my 20's, that wasn't always true, I wanted to sow my wild oats, party, and if I perceived a woman as being "hot", I went for it. But people grow out of that.
Well, there's a difference between "not hot" and "unhealthy/gross". I'd say that acne everywhere that refuses to respond to "treatment" and equally persistent dark, large stretch marks qualify as "gross"... at least, I don't like looking at it all while doing my washing up.

I'm actually not that fussed about my weight (though I could stand to lose about 60 pounds...) - if my complexion was healthy I'd be more OK with myself, and losing weight will just make me thinner with gross skin, anyway. But anyhoo.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #154
capsized.

Quote:
This is true. However, it's the unfortunate case of so many people around and yet so little opportunity to really get to know anyone well... *sigh*

Aw. Then again, I've been to a really small college with small courses and small hallways and small campus bars and small everythings. If you live near campus, you could invite some people to a coffee session (or tea party, or lemonade orgy) after lectures are over. Don't know...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #155
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Well, the thing is, I already "tried" dating a guy that I didn't know well before dating him. After a few weeks it became apparent that we had nothing in common, and barely even clicked as friends, let alone boyfriend/girlfriend. There were other factors as well, and it was kind of an all-around bleh experience.
That's what I mean by saying let go of what you've already decided. Next guy you date is obviously not going to be guy you had this bleh-experience with (I'll rememebr that expression ). Give new guys (for instance from a dating site or any other place, barbershopper perhaps) a chance!
Quote:
Well, there's a difference between "not hot" and "unhealthy/gross". I'd say that acne everywhere that refuses to respond to "treatment" and equally persistent dark, large stretch marks qualify as "gross"... at least, I don't like looking at it all while doing my washing up.
Most likely you're the one noticing this while others don't see it or are bothered with it the slightest. My sister has rosacea and has suffered a lot from it. When she was pregnant she couldn't take her medicines and it got worse. Still when talking to her, I never noticed it. I was talking to her and more interested of what she had to say. I'm pretty sure that's how most grown up people react. Personality is more important than looks.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #156
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Aw. Then again, I've been to a really small college with small courses and small hallways and small campus bars and small everythings. If you live near campus, you could invite some people to a coffee session (or tea party, or lemonade orgy) after lectures are over. Don't know...
I live 45 minutes away from campus, which doesn't help things, I guess. I also go to a pretty big university, or at least, one that's pretty big for Canadian university standards. But hey, maybe I'll find a roommate and move closer. And maybe that 400-level philosophy/ethics class I'll be taking come January will have some interesting people in it. We shall see...

For now, I'll just content myself with hanging out with the staff of Telltale Games until my internship ends.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #157
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Most likely you're the one noticing this while others don't see it or are bothered with it the slightest. Personality is more important than looks.
Amen to THAT!! I can't even COUNT the number of women I've gone out with whom I found vibrant and fascinating, only to hear them see themselves in a completely different light. Seriously, when people are compatible, personality-wise, it all clicks into place, I find.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #158
is not wierd

I moved to collegetown (Gainesville) and have met a few girls, though nothing close to anything has happened.

The most exciting is this girl from my highschool who I always thought was pretty attractive though I never had reason to talk to her. Turns out she's in my film analysis class, we recognized each other, and now we're talking; I walk her to her dorm as it's not too far away from my bus stop. Nothing will probably come of it.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #159
capsized.

Quote:
For now, I'll just content myself with hanging out with the staff of Telltale Games until my internship ends.

Why don't you ask Dave Grossman out? Heck, I'd do that and I'm straight. Dave Grossman!! Erm, on a more serious note, you'll never know what might happen next (or once that philosophy class will start... mh, philosophy!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
I walk her to her dorm as it's not too far away from my bus stop. Nothing will probably come of it.
Careful, that kind of thinking got me into trouble in the first place back then on one ocassion... Why don't you ask her out or something? I wish I did. Wait, don't answer that. Sigh.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #160
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiamsad
Why don't you ask her out or something?
Pure and simple fact is this: I'm a pussy.