You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Anyone else excited by Warner's upcoming Fleischer Superman restoration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
Retired Buccaneer

Default Anyone else excited by Warner's upcoming Fleischer Superman restoration?

I don't read comics much, or go to comic book movies, but I must say I'm happy to see that Warner Brothers is finally releasing remastered versions of the 17 Fleischer/Famous Studios Superman animated shorts.

Classic pieces of 1940's animation, even if the later ones are on the WWII propaganda side ("Japoteurs" anyone?)

Shame Warner isn't giving them a separate DVD release instead of putting them as extras on the DVDs of the Superman movies, but judging from the clips on a recent Superman Returns promo film, the quality is worth the price.

So is anyone else interested in these things?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
It's Hard To Be Humble

Now that would be sweet.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Retired Buccaneer

Yeah. As it is though, I'll happily buy the upcoming DVD sets of Superman I and II, which I currently don't have, to get the Fleischer shorts.

The classic cartoons are in the public domain and already exist on numerous low-budget DVD releases, so WB is doubtful that a release of their own would have very good sales. But even the best of the discs available now can't match the Warner new masters for quality:

A still shot from the Bosko Video release of the Fleischer Supes toons, perhaps the best DVD currently available.

The same image as seen on a promotional film for Superman Returns released a few months ago. The film was letterbox, so they had to crop out part of the original fullscreen image from the cartoon. Still, you can see the jump in image quality is astounding.

Last edited by ATMachine; 08-11-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Grah! Grah!

This is the first I'd heard of this. Great news. Other than the Bruce W Timm version this is the definitive Superman for me (and in general probably him at his most iconic.) Though such vibrant colour does initially seem quite strange, having seen some of the public domain releases.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
Banned User

Cartoons?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I already have those non-remastered Fleischer animations as a nice boxset, but if they come with Superman II the Donner cut, then I'll be happy to get them too.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I already have those non-remastered Fleischer animations as a nice boxset, but if they come with Superman II the Donner cut, then I'll be happy to get them too.
Unfortunately not. The first 9 cartoons (the ones by Fleischer Studios) will be included on the new 4-disc release of Superman I. The other 8 (the ones made by Famous Studios after Paramount fired the Fleischers) will be on the 2-disc release of the Superman II theatrical cut. So if you want all 17, you have to buy two separate DVD box sets.

These things come out on November 28, by the way.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Bah, I won't be buying the first movie again, as I already have it. I have no need for the theatrical version of the first one.

But Superman II: The Donner Cut, that is the one I'm waiting for really much.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Retired Buccaneer

Thought I'd just point out something about the upcoming Warner releases.

The original cartoons were released by Paramount (this was before WB bought DC Comics and gained the rights to all Superman adaptations). Their logos show up at the beginning and end of each short, and the Paramount name is also on the main Superman title card.

To avoid legal and monetary complications, Warner Brothers (which now owns the master copies) will probably remove the Paramount logos from their new releases.

For example, in a shot of the Superman title card on the promotional film I mentioned earlier, the "Paramount Presents" logo above the word "SUPERMAN" has been digitally removed from the background (apparently by pasting in an image of the plain background so it doesn't look unnatural).

A disappointing move, as the Paramount logos were classic. Still, given how outstanding the video quality of the rereleases seems to be, I'll probably be able to live with it. I just hope they do a good job of making the removal of the old logos seamless. Maybe paste in a vintage WB logo instead?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Retired Buccaneer

A quick comparison of the title cards from "The Magnetic Telescope," old and new:

The original version, with the Paramount name prominently displayed.

The new version. If you look closely you can see the seam where WB pasted a background over the words "Paramount Presents."
Old 10-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #11

Default Max Fleischer Superman cartoons

I bought the four-disc DVD set of Superman the Movie for the bonus feature of the first nine Superman cartoons. I thought I was going to get the restored versions previewed on this board:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=16332

What I got looks different. The good news is that the Paramount title openings are included, and that the fullscreen aspect ratio of approximately 1.33:1 is preserved.

OTOH, the color is not quite as rich as I expected, and there are many flecks. These cartoons have dandruff.

I'm confused. Does anyone know what happened to the new restorations?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Welcome to AG Hoho. I merged your thread with the other you linked to (for easy reference). Hopefully your question will be answered.