You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Does Anyone have the answer to The Meaning of Life???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
The Pilot

Default Does Anyone have the answer to The Meaning of Life???

Just as I get ready to grow old gracefully, I start thinking what on earth is the answer to the frequently asked question "What is the Meaning of Life?"

If you have solved the worlds greatest mystery and have an answer for it please share the secret with me.

Irrespective of how ridicilous they may sound, all replies will be added to my current collection of recent suggestions as possible answers. Currently every suggestion I had has been different...
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

42, silly.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
42, silly.

That's the answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything. But we don't know what the question is.

But funny that you ask, because we had a topic like this in another forum too.

Here's what I answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I found my meaning of life, I think. It's much more simple than you'd think. I don't know if I can really put it to words, because it's more of a feeling you go by.

Live. Live life as it comes, always look on the bright side, don't let things get you down too much. Never forget who you are, and never abandon yourself. Respect the beliefs of others, and try to see things from their perspective. Appreciate the small things, and don't take anything for granted. Help others the way you can, and smile. The simplest tasks can be amazing, and the most hated tasks can be fun if you see beyond your dislike for them - They'll pass faster too. No one likes to be depressed, but if you don't try to cheer up yourself, depression won't go away. Sing for the sake of singing, even if you can't hit a correct note, and it will cheer you up - If you feel like singing, just do it. So always smile, think of the good things, that tomorrow will be another day, and that your fate could have been a lot worse. There'll always be another day, and if the world ends tomorrow, you won't be there much longer either, will you? So the meaning of life is simple: LIVE.

I am nineteen, and it has worked for me so far. I can only remember two times in my life that I was really depressed, and I got over them quickly too (I remember the reason for only one of those times. I couldn't go to the special event for the premiere of the new Narnia movie in my town, because I had to study. I cried a lot, but then I realised how trivial that is, and laughed about it.).

There probably is no single meaning of life. Everyone has a different one. I believe I have found mine, and I'm happy with it. What's your meaning of life?

-

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Is there a "Meaning of Life"? Surely it's about finding your own meaning to your own life that's important.

That said, there's a lot of truth in Jaz's answer.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

(1) The Meaning of Life is in Noko's bottleneck slide. Though I hate him for it. Yes I do. No I don't - I have a fucking misplaced crush on the bastard.

(2) The meaning of life is that the universe wishes to be perceived.

(3) There is no meaning of life.

I sway between (2) and (3) philosophically. (3) is incredibly liberating once you get over depressing yourself over it (a phase I've never suffered, thank god). But only (1), of course, is the ultimate truth, my misguided fake religion demands it true.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
The Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Is there a "Meaning of Life"? Surely it's about finding your own meaning to your own life that's important.

That said, there's a lot of truth in Jaz's answer.
Sure! There may be a lot of truth in Jaz's answer, but there is another set of truths as follows:
  • Most people are not happy with who or what they are
  • Majority of people take things for granted
  • More often than not people hate their jobs
  • Most people are self centered and have no time to for others' perspective
  • Depression tablets are the highest selling and most profitable products

Hence, in a democratic voting the reply would definitely fail as the correct answer!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Well, maybe the Meaning of Life is unhappiness, misery and suffering. Just because some people disagree with it, doesn't prevent it from being true.

Or, alternatively, what I'm asking is why a democratic vote is important? Why should the Meaning of Life be democratic? Surely the Meaning of Life (if it exists) simply is, and our perceptions of it are totally besides the point.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #8
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I think if you learn the answer to that question from someone else telling you, then it doesn't answer your question at all.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
That's the answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything. But we don't know what the question is.
-
Yes we do, its "Whats 12 times 2?"
Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

But 12*2=24...

Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Yes we do, its "Whats 12 times 2?"
Or 6*9 in Base 13, I know.

But let me quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do' I typed it out. End of story.

-

Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
But 12*2=24...
oh so it is, It must have been times 4

Wondering why that didnt sound right in my head.

Quote:
Or 6*9 in Base 13, I know.

But let me quote.

-
Base 13? I was talking about when
Spoiler:
Arthur and Ford got stranded on a planet with these cavemen wich turned out to be earth, and since he already knew earth was the computer he thought that if he randomly picked letter out from his hand made scrabble game then the question would appear. And then "Whats 12 times 4" appeared.

Unless that what base 13 is, I havent read that series in a while but I think that happened in the third or last book
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
oh so it is, It must have been times 4
Because 12*4 is 48 and not 42, I reckon. You probably mean 21*2 (not 12 * 2). And it all boils down to a simple, reckless typo. Tsk.

Quote:
Base 13?
A base is the 'universe' of a number. Normal numbers we deal with are base 10 - because they are made up of the digits 0 through to 9.

But there are other bases, too, such as, very common, base 2 (binary), in which "10" suddenly means "2", because there are only two digits: 0 and 1. So, in Base 2, you would count as follows: 0, 1, 10 (2), 11 (3), 100 (4), 101 (5), 110 (6), 111 (7), 1000 (8)... and so on. (Sidenote: Notice how 10, 100 and 1000 are all powers of 2)

Or base 16 (hexadecimal): 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a (10), b (11), c (12), d (13), e (14), f (15), 10 (16), 11 (17), et cetera.

It may look awkward, but for some things, it's incredibly useful. Binary makes for *great* ease in designing computer hardware - your CPU constantly calculates in binary - and has other useful properties I won't go into here.

Hexadecimal, in turn, is nice for compact means of displaying otherwise very, um, horizontal binary numbers. ff = 11111111 = 255. So instead of having to say that a pixel on your screen reads 255,255,255 for red,green,blue, or saying it reads 11111111,11111111,11111111 (GOOD GOD!), you say it's ff,ff,ff.

Compact. Colour, on the internet, is described in hexadecimal numbers like that. Red is ff0000, green is 00ff00, blue is 0000ff, white is ffffff and black is 000000... just to give you a rough idea.

(And there are mathematical reasons to want other bases, too, but I think I've gotten far, far too technical already... )

Edit:

And just to complete this:

Base 13 digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c.
6*9 in Base 10 (normal maths): 54
54 / 13 = 4 R 2 --> 42 in Base 13.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢

Last edited by pinkgothic; 08-09-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Life and times of...

Quote:
But let me quote.
But that's what he wants you to think!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Karmillo, the question was (as Jazhara7 rightfully pointed out) "What is six times nine?". And it was at the end of the second book.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #16
It's Hard To Be Humble

Go the extra mile to find meaning within your life, and strive to do only things that enhance this meaning. We must all make sacrifices and compromises in our lives, but your soul will shine broghtest the closer you get to realizing yourself as the most meaningful person you can be.

And of course, your meaning is never the same as anybody else's. There are no grades for this, either. Figure out what matters to you the most, what drives you to succeed in the face of great uncertainty, and decide for yourself whether that is meaningful enough to be part of your spiritual core.

Well, that's what the Chinese fortune cookie told me, anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:

Base 13? I was talking about when
Spoiler:
Arthur and Ford got stranded on a planet with these cavemen wich turned out to be earth, and since he already knew earth was the computer he thought that if he randomly picked letter out from his hand made scrabble game then the question would appear. And then "Whats 12 times 4" appeared.

Unless that what base 13 is, I havent read that series in a while but I think that happened in the third or last book
You mean this? That was 6 by 9. See for yourself:

However, that 6*9 is actually 42 in Base 13 is just a coincidence. Douglas Adams is said to have said (I don't know if he actually said it), that he's not such a sad person to make jokes in Base 13. (Excuse me for paraphrasing, by the way.)

-

Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Karmillo, the question was (as Jazhara7 rightfully pointed out) "What is six times nine?". And it was at the end of the second book.
Or, alternatively, the mice suggest "What is six times seven?" during the first one.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Or, alternatively, the mice suggest "What is six times seven?" during the first one.

Yeah, but the mice are evil spoilsports.

Rats are much nicer.

-

Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #20
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Back in high school, a friend and I decided that the meaning of life was sixty-nine: to love and be loved.