You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Does Anyone have the answer to The Meaning of Life???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Yeah, but the mice are evil spoilsports.

Rats are much nicer.

-
And there was I thinking that you preferred the humble grey squirrel .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #22
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Okay, I haven't answered the original question. And so:

Quote:
Does Anyone have the answer to The Meaning of Life???

Yes.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #23
Not like them!

Well, sort of, anyway. No one has the answer, because each person's role in the universe is different. But some people have an answer which is appropriate only for themselves.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #24
Live Slow Die Old

I'm pretty sure that life is utterly meaningless. We all end up in the same place (rotting in the ground, not floating on clouds for all you silly people who still believe that crap) no matter what we do.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #25
Super Moderator

[the End Of The Film]
Lady Presenter: Well, that's the end of the film. Now, here's the meaning of life.
[Receives an envelope]
Lady Presenter: Thank you, Brigitte.
[Opens envelope, reads what's inside]
Lady Presenter: M-hmm. Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment? Bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats. Where's the fun in pictures? Oh, well, there we are. Here's the theme music. Goodnight.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #26
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I'm pretty sure that life is utterly meaningless. We all end up in the same place (rotting in the ground, not floating on clouds for all you silly people who still believe that crap) no matter what we do.
Well, how does that make a statement about the meaning of life being or not being there? If there is a meaning of life, it applies to everyone (whether they like it or not, or want to live by it, or not (see the "the universe wishes to be perceived" version. You can kill yourself, but if you make that decision, you've already perceived the universe, so it will just laff at you. Well. If it can laugh.) ). It's a meaning of life - not a meaning of good and righteous life, or anything like that.

That aside, why does everyone who argues life is meaningless always do so in such a grossly negative fashion as though it was a bad thing? It's not. It's (objectively) meaningless because we're free to do what we want.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #27
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
It's (objectively) meaningless because we're free to do what we want.
But our wants are a result of a combination of biology, upbringing, and past experiences! Keeping that in mind, are we really free?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
But our wants are a result of a combination of biology, upbringing, and past experiences! Keeping that in mind, are we really free?
Not to mention chemistry.

Sciences have continually whittled away at the concept of free will, but until they can actually understand the human mind on any level of coherence, I see no reason to believe what they say is anywhere near final. So, frankly, to answer your question, yes. That's my answer to that question. Without a shred of doubt.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #29
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Back in high school, a friend and I decided that the meaning of life was sixty-nine: to love and be loved.
Well, yeah.

>>ETA: Hmm. Well the thread is drifting a bit, but there have been a couple more serious thoughts presented, so...

I think that we may be constantly selecting from the available choices, but they are, nevertheless, choices. It's going to extremes, but when we start thinking that our choices aren't 'free', we get into that moral quagmire of thinking we have no choice in anything important or self-defining, and stop taking responsibility for our decisions.

Ultimately, freedom of choice is a 'by degrees' thing, which changes from case to case, and based on how few or how many people and/or variables are involved in the decision. That said, we come to those decisions ourselves, even if it seems like there is only one proper choice. Looked at more closely, you'll find that there are always alternatives to the choices you've made; what you've done is simply eliminate all of the alternatives that are wrong or are utterly repugnant to you, and made your choice from what's left.<<

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 08-09-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #30
Not like them!

Lee, you're presenting us as much too rational. Humans are not rational, though rationalization is a fun little game and people (like myself) with strong superstitions about rationality will often change their choices based on its results.

The meaning of life is not tied to freedom. Quite the contrary. Let's say a person were completely free. Silly little rules like causality and human psychology wouldn't apply next to that awesome force called Free Will which this person would possess. In fact, he'd be so free that he had no connection to the rest of the world whatsoever, unless he wanted to have it. His life is meaningless, because it's not a part of anything. It's just chaos.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #31
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
The meaning of life is not tied to freedom. Quite the contrary. Let's say a person were completely free. Silly little rules like causality and human psychology wouldn't apply next to that awesome force called Free Will which this person would possess. In fact, he'd be so free that he had no connection to the rest of the world whatsoever, unless he wanted to have it. His life is meaningless, because it's not a part of anything. It's just chaos.
Exactly - there is no meaning of life because we are free. That's exactly what I said. Only the individual can give his own life a (subjective) meaning. The universe can offer no such thing, and thank god it doesn't.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #32
It's Hard To Be Humble

We see meaning in everything. Meaning itself is a human concept. *snip*>>removed for talking out my arse<<

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 08-09-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #33
Banned User

I don't think there is any meaning to life. You just....do it.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #34
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
That aside, why does everyone who argues life is meaningless always do so in such a grossly negative fashion as though it was a bad thing? It's not. It's (objectively) meaningless because we're free to do what we want.
All I'm saying is that life is essentially pointless. I'm certainly not saying this is a bad thing. I got over my depressed angsty teenage phase years and years ago. I'm happy. I enjoy life. I still think it's pointless though. I'm simply pointing out that Hitler and Ghandi both wound up in the same place and suffered the same fate regardless of their views and goals while they were alive.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #35
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

But the legacies they left behind after their deaths are quite different, wouldn't you say?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #36
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
We see meaning in everything. Meaning itself is a human concept. To argue that it is not real is to argue that all human thought and endeavour is meaningless.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me or Mori', but in regards to my position - I never, ever flat-out argued meaning "isn't real". I make a very clear differentiation between the meaning of life (objective) and the meaning the individual people may place in it. Just because I objectively consider the universe not giving a toss either way, I sure do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
You are invited to feel that nihilism is the only acceptable paradigm, but I choose to live life with gusto. That requires that I believe in the essential meaningfulness of existence. My entire life is structured around this pursuit, and to philosophically wibble that it isn't real is just to argue against doing anything with purpose or intent. What a truly unwise and unhappy way to be.
Um, pardon my reaction, but, WTF? Are you trying to imply nihilists cannot possibly enjoy life and take responsibility for their actions? Again - WTF? I invite you to come visit me at some point. I sure hope I'm misunderstanding you, because I'm not going to stand here and let you accuse me of having no responsibility (I've not heard greater bullshit since the thread I posted in the Aren't you glad you weren't there thread) and being emotionally dead (same thing applies).

Some people are able to differ between "objective" and "subjective". How UNWISE of you to be unable to do that. How UNWISE (oh, and UNHAPPY) that you can't appreciate freedom or deal with it in a mature way on your own. *grinds*

Deepest apologies if I misunderstood, but that hit a nerve (</mrs. obvious>)...

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #37
It's Hard To Be Humble

pinkgothic Sorry. Forget I said anything.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #38
Banned User

Why don't you two just live the way you want? That's probably the meaning of life.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #39
The Pilot

Quote:
Back in high school, a friend and I decided that the meaning of life was sixty-nine: to love and be loved.
With all the 6s and 9s flying about in these posts, I will not be surprised if you have finally found the true meaning of life. In fact, giving it some hard thought - that must be it!!! Afterall, for most people living in an affluent society, living means:
  • to dress up attractive.
  • to wear expensive jewellery.
  • to judge a man by his looks and/or the size of his "fwdfcsty", and not the size of his brain?
  • to be rich?
  • to drive an expensive car?
  • to have the best aftershave or parfume?... and the list goes on!
The answer to all is "SEDUCTION", ultimately leading to a more succesful sexual activity...
Old 08-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #40
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I guess I should really reread H2G2

Spoiler:
all I can really remember is the scrabble bit, then the 4th book that kinda felt like it was non-cannon, then arthur realising he wasnt unkillable and the earth blew up for a second or third time