MGS movie in the works - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat MGS movie in the works


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Slim Shady
 
Solid Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 727
Default MGS movie in the works

As it is told at http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150282.html Hideo Kojima confirmed that there will be a MGS movie and stated that the claims about Uwe Boll will be the director of the movie are false.I always approach hesitantly game adapted movies as they mostly end in disappointment but I also have faith in Kojima. I hope this movie will come out better than other adaptation movies.By the way my personal choice for the role of Solid Snake is Hugh Jackman

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-16-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 305
Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie
Default

when you first said hugh jackman i was like.. ehh no,
but i think about it some more, its not too far off.. i like it
Owskie is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

I think snake should be played by the man who he was based on, Kurt Russle!
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
The Punisher
 
[toj.cc]Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Plain, Ohio
Posts: 771
Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom
Default

I'll give it a shot as long as Eww Bowel...I mean Uwe Boll...doesn't touch...I wouldn't touch any of his crap with a ten-foot stick...but in my opinion not all adaptations are bad...I mean the Resident Evil movies are decent...however...most do end up sucking nuts...Doom anyone?
__________________
I've got a bad rap as a senseless killer. Let me point out that I am a very sensible killer.
[toj.cc]Phantom is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Epinionated.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 5,841
Default

Hasn't he already made 4 MGS films?

*runs*
squarejawhero is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
SamNMax
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
I mean the Resident Evil movies are decent
Ha.
 
Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
The Punisher
 
[toj.cc]Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Plain, Ohio
Posts: 771
Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Ha.
Well, I liked them...really don't care if anyone else does...
__________________
I've got a bad rap as a senseless killer. Let me point out that I am a very sensible killer.
[toj.cc]Phantom is offline  
Old 05-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
SamNMax
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What's with all the pausing?
 
Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
The Punisher
 
[toj.cc]Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasant Plain, Ohio
Posts: 771
Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
What's with all the pausing?
I don't know...I just like to pause...do...you have a problem...with me...pausing?


j/k
__________________
I've got a bad rap as a senseless killer. Let me point out that I am a very sensible killer.
[toj.cc]Phantom is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
Not like them!
 
MoriartyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default

I don't get it- what's the point? No, I see that the point is to make lots of money, but what can a 100% movie do that can't be done just as well in the film portion of one of the MGS games? It's a stupid idea.
MoriartyL is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #11
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

I think your a stupid idea man!

Think about it, whats the point of turning a book into a movie? theres no guarentee that the movie is going to follow the image that everyone has in their heads so why bother?
Why bother making a tv series into a movie? what can the movie do that the tv show cant do over a few episodes?

Maybe money is a big part of why they are making one, so what? Doesnt mean that Hideo doesnt want to make a good movie, infact thats what hes been trying to do with MGS the whole time. So this will probably end up like an MGS game without the gameplay and I dont see that as a bad thing....unless the go for an MGS2 tacked onto the end story
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
Not like them!
 
MoriartyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I think your a stupid idea man!

Think about it, whats the point of turning a book into a movie? theres no guarentee that the movie is going to follow the image that everyone has in their heads so why bother?
Wow that's backwards. The reason to make a movie out of a book is precisely because it is not like the book. If it merely echoes the book, there's no point because it's redundant. But a movie is not like a book- a movie brings a lot of potential which books do not have. The purpose of adapting a book to a movie is to find that potential which could not previously have been used. Conversely, the purpose of a novelization of a movie is to utilize the advantages that books have over film.

The problem with a MGS movie is not that it is too different from the game- it is that it would be too similar! Fully a third of a MGS game is pure film. So the act of moving the MGS story to the format of film is not exactly a revelation. The potential of the movie format is already being utilized, as part of the original MGS! So what potential is there to be gained by moving the story into theaters? None! However, there is much potential lost- In addition to the advantages of film, the MGS games also make use of the advantages of stealth and audio drama. Those features are now lost. So what you're getting here is a stripped-down version of MGS, which can't hope to do anything more than poorly imitate the games. What is the point of that?
MoriartyL is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Not like them!
 
MoriartyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default

You know what, think of it this way: With Metal Gear Solid, you're getting a whole package deal. You're getting a film, a stealth game and an audio drama bundled together. On the other hand, you've got Hollywood offering you just a film. Anything the film can do can also be done in the 3-in-1 deal, because it can be done in the film section. But not everything you get in the bundle can be gotten from Hollywood's movie, because a movie can't reproduce the qualities of what's in the stealth or CODEC sections. Therefore, the film is redundant.
MoriartyL is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

Who says there cant be codec sections? and what are you reffering to when you say Audio drama?
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
Not like them!
 
MoriartyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default

I mean the CODEC sections- the story is played out entirely in audio, exactly like a radio drama. You could stick one into a movie as a gag paying homage to the original, but no one in Hollywood would put up with a lengthy scene in which there is no physical acting. A movie needs to make use of the visuals as well as audio. The advantages of the audio drama is that with no visuals to distract, the full attention of the listener is focused on the characters. That is why it is used in the MGS games for almost all character development.
MoriartyL is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #16
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

So isnt that the difference the movie will have from the game? instead of seeing the story through the codec alone your going to see it play out visualy. And the codec sections could work if they cut back and forth from the codec screen to snakes surroundings so your not just staring at 2 pictures the whole time
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #17
Not like them!
 
MoriartyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Israel
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
So isnt that the difference the movie will have from the game? instead of seeing the story through the codec alone your going to see it play out visualy. And the codec sections could work if they cut back and forth from the codec screen to snakes surroundings so your not just staring at 2 pictures the whole time
Of course it could. And it will, much as it will use noninteractive film to represent the stealth sections of the game. But the three art forms Kojima picked were never picked randomly- each is used when it is the best at what it can do.

Kojima isn't using the CODEC for character development because he's stuck with it; he's using it because he thinks it's the best way to present character development. As I said, film is not as effective because the visuals distract from what's being said. Also, in audio we don't mind listening to long bits of backstory that would quickly get tiresome if we were watching actors tell it. And I don't need to tell you why character development wouldn't work quite as well in the stealth sections. Similarly, the reason the stealth sections are interactive is because stealth works better interactively than noninteractively- it's more exciting, more tense, more believable than film for this purpose.

So sure!- Film could imitate all this, but it can't possibly do it as well as the original. Stealth game and audio drama were not just thrown in- they were put in because they could do something which film did not do as well.
MoriartyL is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #18
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

I think the game was put in because....well its a game

If hideo decides to direct this himself then he will be able to determine when to use audio and when to use visual or whatever

But theres no point in praising it or condemning it untill we see the outcome
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #19
Slim Shady
 
Solid Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 727
Default

Hideo told before he wouldn't direct the movie but most probably he would follow the developments and approve accordingly according to his statement they have made an class A contract with a party in Hollywood so we can expect to see famous faces in director's chair. Imo Tim Burton is a good choice, Peter Jackson should be fine as well
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #20
is not wierd
 
Spiwak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,148
Default

Tim Burton? Peter Jackson? Did I miss something?
Spiwak is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.