You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Got my first ticket.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #21
Psychonaut

I assume he's going to plead insanity.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #22
Lovable rogue

It might be easier to go to Canada, but if you're set on Mexico you can take this map:

Two thousand miles to freedom!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I assume he's going to plead insanity.
LOL!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #24
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
It might be easier to go to Canada, but if you're set on Mexico you can take this map:

Two thousand miles to freedom!
I see he'll be coming through Birmingham. Heh, just when I thought my "fugitive harboring" days were over.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #25
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
<schoolmarm mode>

Might I remind that traffic laws are not designed because lawmakers feel like being dicks; they are designed to keep you and other drivers *safe*.

Case in point: My roommate is a very conscientious driver who follows the traffic laws. In all except one instance, when he gets in an accident it's because the *other* person didn't follow the traffic laws. The one time an accident was his fault it was when he was first learning to drive on his own and forgot to follow one of the traffic laws himself. He was really lucky to walk away from that one, from what he tells me.

Doing highway speeds in what I'm guessing was a city zone is *dangerous* both to you and to other people. You were doing almost 150% of the speed limit, so it makes sense that your fine is pretty high.

I suggest that instead of trying to weasel your way out of it, you consider yourself fortunate that your first lesson in what happens when you don't follow the traffic laws will only result in you paying a $200 fine, as opposed to paying for a totalled car (which would be worse than $200) or one or more totalled *bodies* (which would be a lot, lot worse than $200).

</schoolmarm mode>

Peace & Luv, Liz
First off, you weren't there, you don't know what happened, so you shouldn't be firing off at the mouth.

Let me educate you. New Paltz is kind of a small place with many back roads that usually lack signs every 200 feet and many of these roads i've never traveled on before.

Now lets jump back a bit. I grew up in an even smaller area where anything not main street is 55 mph.

Now lets go foward. I was doing 61 because I assumed it was 55 mph since I hadn't seen a sign in a while and it was a pretty barren back road. After a few minutes of that, I finally saw a 45 mph sign, and instantly began to slow down. About 5 seconds later I was being pulled over for speeding.

So you see, they must have tagged me before I knew the speed limit and started to slow down.

But yeah, i'm just trying to weasel my way out of it.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #26
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I'm just trying to weasel my way out of it.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #27
Banned User

Man oh man. Do they have one of those for me to hang in my car?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #28
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
First off, you weren't there, you don't know what happened, so you shouldn't be firing off at the mouth.

Let me educate you. New Paltz is kind of a small place with many back roads that usually lack signs every 200 feet and many of these roads i've never traveled on before.

Now lets jump back a bit. I grew up in an even smaller area where anything not main street is 55 mph.

Now lets go foward. I was doing 61 because I assumed it was 55 mph since I hadn't seen a sign in a while and it was a pretty barren back road. After a few minutes of that, I finally saw a 45 mph sign, and instantly began to slow down. About 5 seconds later I was being pulled over for speeding.

So you see, they must have tagged me before I knew the speed limit and started to slow down.

But yeah, i'm just trying to weasel my way out of it.
Here's what they'll say:
A. 61 mph is more than 55 mph as well.
B. Ignorance of local ordinances is not a valid defense against traffic citations.

Most police cars have video recorders which display the readout from the radar gun. If they have video evidence, your only hope is to somehow prove the radar gun was malfunctioning...an extremely difficult course of action.

If you fight the ticket and lose, you will have to pay the ticket plus court costs plus any other fines you may incur, such as "contempt of court" citations.

You may very well have gotten caught in a "speed trap". If this is the case, the judge and the officers will very likely dismiss any argument you present. In the long run, it's a whole lot easier (and cheaper) to just pay the ticket and slow down.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #29
Banned User

61 is over 55, but would they have pulled me over for it? No.

Every other person I have ever talked to except you have said NEVER plead guilty.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #30
Bad Influence

Okay. We're simply giving you the benefit of our experience.
I have never gotten a ticket in your part of the world, and things may work differently up there.
Keep us posted and let us know how this turns out.

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #31
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I don't think we have points in the US. We have the 18 month thing. Three traffic violations (speeding, whatnot) and your license is suspended for 6 months (I think).

Edit:
Mel
My bad, they do have a point thing in New York state.
Points in Ohio...I haven't goten any tickets yet...yet...

OFF-TOPIC a little bit...

My Grandpa used to drive city busses...one time he was pulled over for going like 57 in a 55. He made the cop get on the bus and tell the people why he got pulled over. All the passangers laughed at the cop and the cop got in his car and left.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #32
Citizen of Bizarro World

Awesome.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #33
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
If they have video evidence, your only hope is to somehow prove the radar gun was malfunctioning...an extremely difficult course of action.
It depends on the type of radar gun and the police who where using it. Some models of radar guns require precise calibration frequently in order to return correct results. There have been cases of tickets being thrown out because the police could not prove that their radar gun was calibrated recently.

You won't win any leniency by just having a whinge on the stand.

http://www.trafficticketsecrets.com/...amination.html

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/Obje...0/104/263/QNA/
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Or you could hop in your car and drive through the courtroom window and declare to the court room "Write a ticket on this Bitches!" then do a 180 handbrake turn and head off to Mexico!
Hehehe...I like the way you think!

If you're intent on speeding, I highly recommend you get one of these beauties. They are worth every penny!

http://www.valentine1.com/

Saved my ass on more than one occassion. A V1 along with some common sense and good eyesight (to spot the coppers hiding in the bushes) will no doubt keep you in good standing with your insurance company.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #35
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
It depends on the type of radar gun and the police who where using it. Some models of radar guns require precise calibration frequently in order to return correct results. There have been cases of tickets being thrown out because the police could not prove that their radar gun was calibrated recently.

You won't win any leniency by just having a whinge on the stand.

http://www.trafficticketsecrets.com/...amination.html

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/Obje...0/104/263/QNA/
Cool! I'll try it! Thanks for the links dude!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #36
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz
Saved my ass on more than one occassion. A V1 along with some common sense and good eyesight (to spot the coppers hiding in the bushes) will no doubt keep you in good standing with your insurance company.
You know... it's people who prefer to avoid consequences by cheating the safety laws instead of by following them that make me so scared and reluctant to get my own driver's license. After all... even if I take steps to be safe by following the laws, chances are good I'll get into an accident anyway because people are asshole drivers. *sour look*

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #37
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
You know... it's people who prefer to avoid consequences by cheating the safety laws instead of by following them that make me so scared and reluctant to get my own driver's license.
Cars are dangeorus even in the hands of the saftey concious. I fear revheads less than I fear car manufacturers and soccer moms. What ****ing need is there for giant SUVs on city and suburban streets? They're only bought because they're giant ****ing cages on wheels and that so called extra saftey comes at the expense of others. They're driving hazards under the control of hazardous drivers and they're perfectly legal.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #38

I've had a few speeding tickets. Fortunately, I come from a political family, and while that doesn't mean that I have any connections to cheat the system anymore, I was able to get a little insight into how the system works and use it to my best advantage.

Politics is all about quid pro quo. Once you know what everyone involved wants, things become easier.

The local government wants money. Traffic citations are a major source of revenue for them. Someone has to pay for the new radar guns, after all.

The officer issuing the ticket wants a conviction, preferably a nice tidy guilty plea.

What you want varies from state to state. Pennsylmania uses a point system, which not only can incur a license suspension, but also can affect the cost of insurance. That means what you want is to avoid points, or if that is not a factor, keep your costs to a minimum.

One thing you have to accept is that unless you have a very good chance at successfully fighting the ticket, you're going to end up paying. That's politics for you. Accept the loss, and worry about priorities. I did at one point go through connections to ask a local lawyer/politician for advice on the matter, and was told that beating a ticket without legal representation was quite difficult, and the lawyer's fees would end up costing much more than the fine.

I stayed calm and asked the policeman about points the last time I had a ticket. (Oh, and btw Jeysie, I am a careful driver. The one time I was distracted and allowed myself to go a little fast on an empty road resulted in a ticket. The others were going down a very steep hill right after a very sudden drop in speed limit - in other words, a speed trap) I was told to plead not guilty, so I did.

What happened was that I went to the court on the assigned date. There were several others waiting, probably everyone who pleded not guilty to a ticket from that officer in the previous couple of months. One by one, he called us over for a talk.

This was the negotiation. He offered that if I pled guilty to a lesser charge, I would get no points, and a partial refund on the fine paid. I accepted, signed a form, and left without once stepping into a courtroom.

Like I said, it may vary depending on the state laws, but that was my experience, and it is likely you may have something similar.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
You know... it's people who prefer to avoid consequences by cheating the safety laws instead of by following them that make me so scared and reluctant to get my own driver's license. After all... even if I take steps to be safe by following the laws, chances are good I'll get into an accident anyway because people are asshole drivers. *sour look*
For all the moron drivers out there I haven't been in an accident in ages. Driving is a lot about being aware of your surroudings. If you are going the speed limit and paying attention to others, you'll do fine most of the time.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #40
Chris Barraclough

Traffic cops really are cocky little pricks, I swear half of them just get off on the power buzz. And it's true about the radar guns being inaccurate, there's so many stories over here of milk floats that have been caught doing 100mph etc. Hope you don't get a huge fine, although the standard over here seems to be about 80-90 quid, so around 150ish dollars I think.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk