View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #28
Sage
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
First off, you weren't there, you don't know what happened, so you shouldn't be firing off at the mouth.

Let me educate you. New Paltz is kind of a small place with many back roads that usually lack signs every 200 feet and many of these roads i've never traveled on before.

Now lets jump back a bit. I grew up in an even smaller area where anything not main street is 55 mph.

Now lets go foward. I was doing 61 because I assumed it was 55 mph since I hadn't seen a sign in a while and it was a pretty barren back road. After a few minutes of that, I finally saw a 45 mph sign, and instantly began to slow down. About 5 seconds later I was being pulled over for speeding.

So you see, they must have tagged me before I knew the speed limit and started to slow down.

But yeah, i'm just trying to weasel my way out of it.
Here's what they'll say:
A. 61 mph is more than 55 mph as well.
B. Ignorance of local ordinances is not a valid defense against traffic citations.

Most police cars have video recorders which display the readout from the radar gun. If they have video evidence, your only hope is to somehow prove the radar gun was malfunctioning...an extremely difficult course of action.

If you fight the ticket and lose, you will have to pay the ticket plus court costs plus any other fines you may incur, such as "contempt of court" citations.

You may very well have gotten caught in a "speed trap". If this is the case, the judge and the officers will very likely dismiss any argument you present. In the long run, it's a whole lot easier (and cheaper) to just pay the ticket and slow down.

Share the love.

<3