You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Most Wanted DVDs!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #21
Headbanger

Aguirre is a really great movie. I will also get Kingdom Of Heaven Directors' Cut when it arrives here. Something that I'm thinking of buying right now is a Mario Bava DVD-box. It includes both Black Sunday and Black Sabbath.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
OUATIJ Creator

Saw the Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut. Wow, a very nice large scale film. Far, far superior to Gladiator and probably better than Braveheart as well. I can safely say that it's in the Top 3 for epics released in the last 15 years or so. How it fares compared to epics going even further back, well, that will require a second viewing. Still, this is quite a good film and it's a shame that the theatrical cut was so butchered. The 45 minutes that were cut are unbelievably important so it's no surprise that the film got poor reviews. Had this version been the theatrical release, it would have made a lot of Top 10 lists last year for sure.

So anyway, I highly recommend it, but be warned...this film is very dark, brutal, and filled with a great deal of blood and violence.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #23
Super Moderator

This is maybe off topic but I remember watching a documentary about George Cukor. When he made A Star is Born, he was very happy with it and they thought it was too long for the movie going public so they edited it and screwed it up. Some of the stuff they cut was just gone forever.

I've never seen it though.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I want the Blade Runner Special Edition that has been mired in legal problems for years.

Damn lawyers
I saw this mentioned over at the Telltale forums:

Marathon 'Runner' (5/26/06)

Quote:
Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley Scott's final cut.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #25
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Battlestar Galactica Season Two

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 AM   #26
Dungeon Master

Update!

Ridley Scott gives you the Blade Runner: The Final Cut, coming this December on HD DVD, Blu-ray, and three different DVD editions including rather breathtaking "ultimate" 5-disc edition with all the existing cuts of the film:

Madness. I want one, and I haven't even seen Blade Runner, so I can only imagine how ecstatic fans of the movie are. (Details.)

And on my beloved Branagh's Hamlet front, it seems it will meet the most recent release date, August 17. (official press release) In America. Who was the genius who invented the DVD regions again?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #27
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Gah. Looks Like I'm going to have to decide between paying through the nose for the 5-disc version of Blade Runner (if it gets a UK release) and settling for the (admitedly very impressive-sounding) 4-disc one. Why can't they release a 5-disc version without all the extra junk for the cheapskates amongst us that want the workprint version?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #28
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Update!

Ridley Scott gives you the Blade Runner: The Final Cut, coming this December on HD DVD, Blu-ray, and three different DVD editions including rather breathtaking "ultimate" 5-disc edition with all the existing cuts of the film:

Madness. I want one, and I haven't even seen Blade Runner, so I can only imagine how ecstatic fans of the movie are. (Details.)

And on my beloved Branagh's Hamlet front, it seems it will meet the most recent release date, August 17. (official press release) In America. Who was the genius who invented the DVD regions again?
My god that looks pretty. I've only seen the "Director's Cut" and thought it was pretty good (not great), but I'd like to see this new cut. If this big box isn't too expensive I might just get it.

Also, I'm glad somebody said Hamlet. Right now it's my Desirable Number 2, right behind Inland Empire which comes out on the same day from what I understand. A couple Criterions are also dangling in my face, which I haven't yet bought because of the necessary funds. These are: the new release of The Third Man, Lindsay Anderson's If..., and the Teshigahara box set. Woman in the Dunes had a big impact on me when I was first getting into "film," so I have to see that in a glorious Criterion transfer...as well as discover the other two Teshigahara films!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #29

I was planning to watch Blade Runner sometime soon, but looks like I'll have to put if off again with the new release coming out.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 PM   #30
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Battlestar Galactica Season Two
What, is it disco? Rob, you should have had this long ago!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #31
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
What, is it disco? Rob, you should have had this long ago!
You mean... ooh, about a year ago?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #32
OUATIJ Creator

That Blade Runner set looks awesome. I'll have to grab it on Blu Ray. My most wanted DVD set at the moment though is Berlin Alexanderplatz, which Criterion has confirmed for THIS YEAR. 15 hours of greatness, plus extras!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #33
The Major Grubert.

Did you say Laserdisc?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #34
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
We're pretty ecstatic. I thought I had to wait for Jerry Perenchio to die before I would see this dream become reality. When those details were announced I almost ran out to get a Blu-Ray player just in anticipation.

Then I remembered that my TV doesn't do 1080p, so I will content myself with the DVD box set for now. Wasn't there a rumor of a theatrical run for the Final Cut, too? I've only seen it in a cinema once before (a matinee run ten years ago), and even in the theatrical cut the experience is astounding.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 AM   #35
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Wasn't there a rumor of a theatrical run for the Final Cut, too?
If the "Details" link I posted is to be believed:
Quote:
A showcase theatrical run is also being planned for New York and Los Angeles October 5.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #36
Headbanger

I've only got Blade Runner on VHS, this goes on my "to buy"-list.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #37

The only DVD (or, indeed, videotape) I would run for would be if someone had the UK series 1 of The Mole. Channel 5 never repeated it, so I never got the chance to record it. I've got series 2 but not 1.

If anyone happens to have it, let's talk turkey...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #38
OUATIJ Creator

Speaking of DVDs I want (but hell, I'll even take a VHS copy if anyone has it or can tell me where to get it), I really need Bille August's The Best Intentions in its full length, 5+ hour television version. The movie is in Swedish, so I would appreciate some English subtitles, of course. Anyway, I don't know if the full version has ever aired in America. I own the 3 hour VHS "theatrical release" version.

Anyone know where I can get the complete 5 hour cut?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #39
A Servicable Villain

I'm awaiting the Dutch release of Hot Fuzz on DVD. I was hoping it would arrive before my birthday in a week, but no such luck.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflux View Post
I'm awaiting the Dutch release of Hot Fuzz on DVD. I was hoping it would arrive before my birthday in a week, but no such luck.
Well worth the wait, especially if you get the two-disc edition. Those guys really show what DVD extras should be all about. It puts a lot of DVDs with their few measly deleted scenes and a choice of commentaries to shame.

Plus my edition came with Simon Pegg style mirrorshades.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree