You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Doctor Who - Season "Two"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #61
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Shooting. With a gun.

In honour of only having half an hour to wait until the new series (ooh!), here's my attempt to rival Jaz with my comprehensive guide to Doctor Who companions who want shooting.

Name: Jamie
Biography: Annoyingly (and probably unintentionally) camp Scottish kilt-wearing bastard. Hung around with Patrick Troughton for reasons unknown, as he usually had to be rescued from more "scrapes" than all of his female companions put together.

Name: Harry
Biography: A doctor (medical) who ended up accompanying Tom Baker's Doctor for a while. Actually not bad, and infinitely less annoying than Sarah-Jane Smith.
Bonus points for: "But I'm the Doctor." "No Doctor, I'm the doctor, and I'm telling you you're not fit."

Name: Adric
Biography: Does it even matter? Look at the smug expression on his face! Look at it!
At least he... dies.
Minus points for: Dying painlessly in the service of mankind.

Name: Turlough
Biography: Picked up from a posh public school by Peter Davision (who, fortunately, had dispensed with the bag of Jelly Babies by then), but there was an implication that all was not what it seemed! Was Turlough an alien? We never really found out, because this subplot hilariously went nowhere. Had a propensity to whine and have ridiculous bitch-fights with his fellow companions, presumably because that was some writer's idea of creating drama and tension.

Name: That guy out of 'Dalek'
Biography: I can't remember. But he was played by an actor from Coronation Street who annoyed me, so minus several million points for that.

I hope this has cleared up once and for all why all male Doctor Who companions want shooting.

Last edited by Huz; 04-15-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #62

Oh that's not fair. I liked Jamie. He was personable at least. Far less annoying than Harry. Or Ben, you forgot him. Dull, he was. Ian was good. Steven I haven't seen much of. He seemed rather bland, and I think he went on to present Blue Peter afterwards, which is all anyone will ever remember him for anyway.

Now Adric, there was one you really wanted to kick very hard in the head. There was one part where they were all sitting down to dinner courtesy of some aliens in chunky green makeup that looked nothing like frogs, and he asked some poor unfortunate to "pass the sodium chloride."
Old 04-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #63
Huz
Kersal Massive

Yes, I don't know any of the 60s ones apart from Ian - I did miss him out, but then he wasn't too irritating.

Oh, the first episode of the new series was good, by the way!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #64
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'll watch it tomorrow, so my comments will arrive then .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #65
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Well, I've watched it. A good Doctor, methinks, but the plot was, in my opinion, utterly terrible .

Anyway, next week's episode looks like it could be very good fun indeed .

Old 04-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #66
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Well, I've watched it. A good Doctor, methinks, but the plot was, in my opinion, utterly terrible .

Anyway, next week's episode looks like it could be very good fun indeed .

I hear it had Cat Nuns. And I hear they did not do synchronised swimming. Of course it was terrible! What good are nuns if they don't do synchronised swimming?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #67
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I hear it had Cat Nuns. And I hear they did not do synchronised swimming. Of course it was terrible! What good are nuns if they don't do synchronised swimming?

-
I'm not going to ask... I am not going to ask...

OK, dammit, where do Cat Nuns do synchronised swimming?

Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #68

Quote:
I'm not going to ask... I am not going to ask...

OK, dammit, where do Cat Nuns do synchronised swimming?

During the Spanish Inquisition, silly!

(okay, they were not Cat Nuns, but simple nuns.)

-

Old 04-16-2006, 01:45 PM   #69
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

If anyone wants me, I'll be off bashing my head against a wall.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #70

Quote:

If anyone wants me, I'll be off bashing my head against a wall.

Mel Brooks' "History of the World Part 1", has Nuns doing synchronised swimming in the Spanish Inquisition scene (as well as Torquemada singing). Go watch it already!

-

Old 04-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #71
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Is it funnier than The Producers (the original film, not the actually-quite-funny-musical-and-then-film-remake)?

Actually, I have a few fond memories of Blazing Saddles, if only for the "Can someone go back and get a ****load of quarters?" line .

Anyway, Doctor Who. Have you checked out the Tardisode at the official website?

Old 04-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #72

Quote:
Is it funnier than The Producers (the original film, not the actually-quite-funny-musical-and-then-film-remake)?

Actually, I have a few fond memories of Blazing Saddles, if only for the "Can someone go back and get a ****load of quarters?" line .

Anyway, Doctor Who. Have you checked out the Tardisode at the official website?

I haven't seen either of them yet, though I believe we have both on DVD.

I saw the Frankenstein one though.

In any case, History of the World is hilarious. It has "Hitler on Ice".

I haven't checked out the website yet. Will do so tomorrow.

-

Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #73

Blazing Saddles is wonderful. I particularly enjoy watching it with the French dubbed audio and English subtitles, so I can pretend that it is a foreign film.

I am not sure how that affects the wonderful scene with Mel Brooks playing a Yiddish speaking American Indian, though.

Anyway, Doctor Who. I haven't seen the new one, so I can't say anything useful about it. I have seen some of the ones from the 60's, and they are worth watching. One that shouldn't be missed is a serial called "The Web Planet," which admittedly isn't terribly good, but it was quite ambitious. The whole thing is a somewhat surreal adventure on a planet inhabited by guant insects, and once you manage to set yourself into the frame of mind where seeing the actors clearly casting shadows on supposedly distant mountains, or plastic insect models accidentally crashing into the camera yet left in the shot anyway no longer shatter your sense of detatchment from reality, there's a rather surreal experience to be had.

There was another one from about the same time with all of them camping around first century Rome that is also quite marvelous, aside from a few deeply embarrassing scenes. The actor who played Nero was magnificently over the top. Also half of them get sold into slavery. It's ace.

The ones with Patrick Troughton in them are all worth watching. It's a pity that so many of them were erased. From what I have seen of them, they were quite entertaining.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #74
Citizen of Bizarro World

Who's top doc?

BTW, remove it (or make it into a hyperlink) if it breaks any "do not scan" rules. I found this pic on another site.

Who's Top Doc?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-17-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #75
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Christopher Eccleston the best doctor ever? The scripts in the last series "the best... since the days of William Hartnell"? There's no accounting for taste from the Daily Mirror, apparently .

Oh, and no way does McGann deserve 4. And McCoy wasn't as rubbish as that.

In other words, I disagree with a lot of this .

Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #76
Citizen of Bizarro World

Is 4 too good for McGann?

I'm getting seriously close to the point of deciding to educate myself in all things Who on Wikipedia.

BTW, fascinating how the show's been on the air for 23 years without a break.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #77
Super Moderator

My favorites were Tom Baker and Peter Davison. When Davison had his run, I was a teenage girl and basically had a crush on him. I had a crush on Tom Baker too - not that he's especially 'hot' but I like his quirkiness.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #78
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Is 4 too good for McGann?
No, 4 isn't good enough. He was unlucky to star in the TV movie (which was actually a pilot for an American series, only it was scheduled against something huge and nobody watched it) that featured several rather strange inconsistencies and revelations. Something of a strange hybrid between some of the other Doctors, I liked the sensitivity he brought to the role (as can also be seen in the numerous audio Who stories he did). In fact, I was rather disappointed that they didn't bring him back for the last series.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #79

Now I *really* want to see Tom Baker episodes. I mean, Jelly babies for Heavens' sake!

-

Old 04-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #80
Huz
Kersal Massive

That Jim Shelley is a spanner.

Aside from anything else, "dumpy Ace"? Pffft!