Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Doctor Who - Season "Two" (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/14255-doctor-who-season-two.html)

RLacey 04-09-2006 02:07 PM

Doctor Who - Season "Two"

So, is there anyone here that's going to watch it when it starts on Saturday? BBC Three had a "Doctor Who Night" on today, though it wasn't nearly as good as the proper one they had on BBC2 a few years back.

I did finally get to see the first half of The Christmas Invasion, though :).

*me watches this thread die*

Jazhara7 04-09-2006 02:14 PM

I wish I could, but if anything, Doctor who Season "One" starts here in Germany...and in german. And I don't think even that's the case, because there was no advertisement so far.

Can't wait to see it though.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

RLacey 04-09-2006 02:16 PM

Oh well... the DVDs will be available soon enough ;).

Yet another quality reason to go to college in Britain, methinks...

Jazhara7 04-09-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Oh well... the DVDs will be available soon enough ;).

Yet another quality reason to go to college in Britain, methinks...

Yes, I fully agree. Though my mother still has concerns about that.

RLacey 04-09-2006 02:20 PM

Tell her that DVDs are a bit like videos, only shaped like CDs and considerably shinier than a Betamax tape...

Oh, wait, you meant college? ;) Colleges here are nice. [/biased]

And David Tennant seems like a good choice for the tenth Doctor :).

Jazhara7 04-09-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Tell her that DVDs are a bit like videos, only shaped like CDs and considerably shinier than a Betamax tape...

Oh, wait, you meant college? ;) Colleges here are nice. [/biased]

And David Tennant seems like a good choice for the tenth Doctor :).

Yes, your colleges are nice. It's not that, but other reasons.

Yep, David Tennant really seems like a good choice. Very Arthur Dent. ;) :P

Oh, and I am planning to be "very Arthur Dent" on my school's upcoming "Pyjama Spirit Friday".

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Huz 04-09-2006 02:26 PM

But then you run the risk of missing one of the series entirely, seeing it in neither English nor German!

This will not do.

Besides, Doctor Who in German would be brilliant, probably. All baddies sound, er, badder, in German.

I'll be watching it on Saturday, naturally. It looks like it's going to be bloody brilliant! I can't quite work up the enthusiasm for the new series that I did for the original, but hey - I think I enjoy it in a different way. I watched that Pertwee story with the giant maggots on BBC4 (tipped off by you I think, Laceo) and thought it was absolutely great.

There should be more Doctor Who discussion on these here forums. For anyone not familiar with it in the least, watch this clip. I absolutely love it, and I think it encapsulates everything that makes Doctor Who great - witty dialogue, humour, a very knowing 'scary' sci-fi premise, and of course... the cliffhanger.

RLacey 04-09-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
But then you run the risk of missing one of the series entirely, seeing it in neither English nor German!

This will not do.

True, but you know that BBC Three has repeated Series "One" in its entirety at least twice since its first broadcast ;)...

Melanie68 04-09-2006 03:02 PM

I just found out they show it here in the US on the SciFi channel so obviously it's the first season with Eccelston as the Doctor. :)

jjacob 04-09-2006 06:42 PM

I liked the first season, but it got less and less with the last few episodes, that whole thing with the "Wildfire" weapon (or whatever it's called) and that MP (Harriet something) was not really interesting or imaginative.

Jazhara7 04-09-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz

This will not do.

Besides, Doctor Who in German would be brilliant, probably. All baddies sound, er, badder, in German.

I'll be watching it on Saturday, naturally. It looks like it's going to be bloody brilliant! I can't quite work up the enthusiasm for the new series that I did for the original, but hey - I think I enjoy it in a different way. I watched that Pertwee story with the giant maggots on BBC4 (tipped off by you I think, Laceo) and thought it was absolutely great.

There should be more Doctor Who discussion on these here forums. For anyone not familiar with it in the least, watch this clip. I absolutely love it, and I think it encapsulates everything that makes Doctor Who great - witty dialogue, humour, a very knowing 'scary' sci-fi premise, and of course... the cliffhanger.

Don't worry, I already saw Season "One" in English. My sister got the awesome DVD box (which has the shape of the TARDIS).

Also, I started watching the "The Three Doctors" story arc which we have on DVD, but I am afraid I might have to watch it from the beginning again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjacob
that MP (Harriet something) was not really interesting or imaginative.

But she's hilarious! "Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale-North!". :D

RLacey 04-10-2006 02:40 AM

Or "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" in The Christmas Invasion :D.

The Seed 04-10-2006 02:44 AM

Yeah I'm looking forward to season 2, it's looking good judging by the teasers they have released so far. I'm not generaly into sci fi shows but I like this because it doesn't take itself to seriously and has a bit of character.

Should be interesting to see Anthony Head as the new villain, though I hope to god they don't go and kill him off after the first storyline.

Also I think David Tennant is a really cool actor. Slightly of topic...but did anyone see him in Stephen Fry's Bright Young Things? A minor role but very very funny.

Sage 04-10-2006 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
I just found out they show it here in the US on the SciFi channel so obviously it's the first season with Eccelston as the Doctor. :)

When? When? When?
I thought the SciFi channel had degraded to showing only lame SciFi channel productions. "Taken" was excellent, the "iF" channel-identification spots are brilliant, but everything else I've seen on there lately has been absolute rubbish.

Jelena 04-10-2006 04:38 AM

I´m so disappointed: After having to google Doctor Who I realized that I really should have enjoyed that show immensly! Instead I had never heard about it before.
Veovis, Hamham Chan and any other Swede on the forum. Do we get this show?
What´s wrong with the Swedish TV companies, showing reruns we´ve seen before.:frown:

Melanie68 04-10-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
When? When? When?
I thought the SciFi channel had degraded to showing only lame SciFi channel productions. "Taken" was excellent, the "iF" channel-identification spots are brilliant, but everything else I've seen on there lately has been absolute rubbish.

Doctor Who on Sci Fi channel

It's on Friday nights at 9 pm Pacific and Eastern times and 8 pm Central time. They reshow it again at midnight/11 pm the same night and again on Saturday.

:)

Maquisard 04-10-2006 07:03 AM

I'm really enjoying this show. They're showing it on Sci-fi, at 9 PM on Friday nights. (BTW, Scott, you should check out Battlestar Galactica, it's an awesome show)

I have never seen any previous incarnations of Dr. Who. Are they worth tracking down? Would the difference in FX quality and the budget be as jarring as for a Deep Space Nine fan switching to the original Star Trek? Is there any point to watching the old shows, as far as continuity goes?

Huz 04-10-2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
Would the difference in FX quality and the budget be as jarring as for a Deep Space Nine fan switching to the original Star Trek?

Good one. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mares
Is there any point to watching the old shows, as far as continuity goes?

Not really. There are some back-references in the new series, but they're shoved in as treats for die-hard fans.

There are also over 700 episodes so you'd have your work cut out.

Melanie68 04-10-2006 07:11 AM

When you watch old Doctor Who (they're on Netflix if you get that) keep in mind the special effects. They are pretty corny in comparison to today but they are still fun. :)

RLacey 04-10-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
There are also over 700 episodes so you'd have your work cut out.

Well, except for the fact that most of the episodes aren't available ;).

I like the old series in part because of the low budget, because I find it amusing when the EVIL ALIEN! appears and turns out to be a big piece of plastic or something. But seriously, there's a lot to enjoy even with the low budget, and they also act as quite an interesting window into the period during which they were made. I speak as someone who finds the original Star Trek (films excluded) boring nowadays :frown:...

Incidentally, I believe that the Sci-Fi channel is getting something like a million viewers for Doctor Who. Which doesn't sound that large as American viewing figures go :frown:...