You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat X-men: The Last Stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #41
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Each movie had a different theme.

The first one was (in A minor for simplicity's sake, and starting from the E under A):
EACB..EBDC.. ECED, eF...

X2's theme was:
A-AceFe, A-AceGf,
A-AceFe..fgA f C B A!
You can tell that I've never watched the two movies in close succession, right?

Either way, that's a shame. I liked X2's theme, which was suitably over the top, and was looking forward to them developing it in X3.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #42
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Yeah, X2's was great. The first movie was for the most part much more subtle with its score, but it's often astonishingly beautiful- the parts burned into my memory especially are the opening and the very end of the Statue of Liberty section with Rogue and Wolverine on the top. During the new movie, I just kept thinking to myself- "Wow, this is exciting, but it would have been twice as exciting if the music didn't sound so awkward!". I don't know what went wrong.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #43
Explorer

-How the heck did he survive Pheonix?

Spoiler:
If you're referring to Xavier, in the moment that he stopped fighting her and just before his body was destroyed, he transferred his psyche into the completely healthy body but mind/brain-dead person. Hence the scene in his ethics class where he asks his students if, if such a thing were possible, would it be ethical. Evidentally, he was completely prepared for such an eventuality, and had a body ready.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #44
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
spiwak, holy crap, use the spoiler tag!
I don't see anything in the post as a spoiler.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #45
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
-How the heck did he survive Pheonix?

Spoiler:
If you're referring to Xavier, in the moment that he stopped fighting her and just before his body was destroyed, he transferred his psyche into the completely healthy body but mind/brain-dead person. Hence the scene in his ethics class where he asks his students if, if such a thing were possible, would it be ethical. Evidentally, he was completely prepared for such an eventuality, and had a body ready.
Spoiler:
Well if his mind still lives on, but his body is destroyed, does that mean that we will have a different person as Mr X in the sequel? It doesn't make sense to bring back Patrick Stewart because his body was destroyed.

Firefox rules
Old 05-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
I don't see anything in the post as a spoiler.
Mentioning a character's death seems spoilerish to me. I haven't seen the movie yet and even though it's early in, it's not necessarily something I'd want to know yet.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #47
Explorer

LOL yeah right here:

Spoiler:
I feel sorry for Cyclops. Despite being the leader of the X-Men in the comics he went absolutely nowhere in the movies, culminating in an incredible cop-out death 10 minutes in.

Anyway:

Spoiler:
And I was so looking forward to him in this movie too. His mood at the beginning is awesome, he's all rough around the edge. But no... of course, as someone else brought up, they never actually show his BODY...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #48
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I kind of liked the movie, it was ok. Mostly on the same level as the Singer movies.

I just didn't like the amount of characters in the movie, everyone didn't get an equal share of screentime.

Also, I've never liked Halle Berry's acting, they should've got a much better actress for the part a long time ago.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #49
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I'd love these Xmen movies if they actually didnt mess around with the original Xmen story line.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #50
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I'm recurrecting this because I've just seen the movie.

The one thing that really bugged me when I exited the Cinema was that this movie had ZERO character development. We're introduced to several new characters; McCoy, Angel, Juggernaut and Callisto + extended roles for Kitty and Coloussus without us learning anything [more] about them.. I think this movie was the longest so far, and I don't think it should be longer, but the script and directing is really bad when thinking about characters. It's obvious that this movie has been made as an action movie for those who's followed the series..

I agree with most of you on the other things,
Spoiler:
Cyclops should not have been terminated that early, and the love triangle between Rouge/Bobby/Kitty is badly directed with very little love.
I wanted Rouge to have a much bigger part. She just went away and stayed away. She could have been a major asset in the last battle, and after what we'd seen about her in the two previous movies, she would have gone back to help them fight the Mutant army if she'd had the chance..

I liked the new arrivals Kitty, McCoy and Angel (the little we saw of him), but I'm probably a bit biased after reading almost 50 issues of Uncanny X-men before seeing this movie.
Spoiler:
Because of that I was really suprised when Juggernaut was stopped by the little kid.
In Uncanny
Spoiler:
he's Xaviers step-brother and he get's his powers from an enchanted rock.But I've read on other forums that in Ultimate X-men Juggernaut is a mutant, so they've probably based him on that

And; the end:
Spoiler:
I'm sure that the "cure" isn't permanent, and I was pretty certain of that before I saw Magneto move the chess piece. I hope and believe that the cure was temporary for all the mutants, not only for Magneto because of his strenght (since the kids powers are temporary the "logical thing to assume is that the cure is temporary too). I missed the after-credits thing but after reading about it I think it's quite plausible to assume that Xavier comes back in the next movie, but unfortunatly not played by Patrick Stewart (witch is really sad, I think he's a great actor) I was really shocked when he died, he's always been one of my favourite characters both in the movies and the cartoon. Some forums (IMDB) say that Scott and Pheonix/Jane also will come back, but I really hope they won't.. After the way they died in this movie I think it would be wrong to resurrect them..

I did enjoy the movie, but the lack of character development and the many plotholes makes it a weak movie compared to the two others..

I give it a:
But it's weak..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #51
Evil Incarnate

[EDIT: Shit! Spoilers below!]

I'll post a small review I did on another site, and Panthera, this movie was the shortest of the three. Way shorter than 2, and about tied with the first I think. Personally, I think it should have been structured totally different, it was so extremely straight-forward that, as you say, it affected, among other things, character development.

Quote:
Don't listen to all the whiners in this thread.
Right. Mock people who hasn't got the same opinion as you. That's clever.

Anyways, heres my mini-review from another forum. I have written better/longer reviews, but they are in Norwegian, and I'm too lazy to translate.

Quote:
Well, imho, it sucked. A let down for sure.

The first half of the movie was pretty good, but then it turned into shite. Pure and utter.

Brett Ratner can go back to directing Rush Hour, he has no business doing comic-adaptations if he can't take them seriously (which he obviously don't). Terrible one-liners and a story that begs someone with more than two braincells to do some rewrites.

I'm sorry, but the only thing remotely good about this flick was some of the action-scenes (when not riddled with idiotic one-liners), and some of the design choices of the new characters (along with the casting). The Wolverine-fights were impotent (in comparison to X2), and some of the best stand-offs were missing (the Iceman vs. Pyro fight was pretty much shite), where was Juggernaut vs. Collossus?

In addition the story was so straight-forward it made me cringe. If someone can make a story more predictable, please tell me, I would very much like to give you a prize. The ending was silly, and don't get me started on all the silly meta-aspects Ratner was trying to incorporate. He took a rather brisk approach to the adaptation process (with some success I might add), but it wasn't consistent enough, and therefore it failed miserably. (I'm talking about the archtypical frames you find in comic books; the scene where the camera zooms in on the president, and he almost adresses the camera; Wolverine with his "Noooooo", among others.)

When all I can think about during the screening is "why didn't he do it this way", "why didn't he change that", there is something seriously wrong. I'm not _that_ good at making movies, but I sure as hell would have kicked Ratners ass.

If there's a X4 (likely after the box-office records this incarnation grabbed), please GOD, or someone who has the power to change things, don't let Ratner get another chance. Bryan Singer, I want you BACK!

Last edited by Melkor; 06-16-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #52
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I laughed when Juggernaut said those famous words when he was chasing after Kitty Pride.

"Don't you know who I am, I'm the Juggernaut, BITCH!"

I only laughed because I remembered that one weird video clip about Juggernaut saing that sentence in different situations.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.