You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat screen capture with high dpi?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default screen capture with high dpi?

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to take a screen capture at a dpi higher than 72? I want to take a screenshot, but want it to be 300 dpi instead of 72. This is for an article I'm submitting to a print magazine and I'm concerned that if I just bump the resolution up to 300 in Photoshop, it'll make the screenshot blurry because Photoshop will be adding information to the image.

I'm not even sure this CAN be done, but I figured if it could, someone here would know.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #2

I don't think that's possible, after all, a pixel is a pixel (to me atleast) There might be a little application for this though, that applies some sort of anti-aliasing voodoo to the cap, or something or other.

Come to think of it, I don't even know why I replied
Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Come to think of it, I don't even know why I replied
I'm glad you did. It makes the thread seem a lot less lame than if no one had replied.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Mmm. I'm not "trained" in art or anything, so I may be dead wrong, but...

AFAIK, the answer is: no dice. Output to screen is 72 dpi period (well, unless you're on a Mac, in which case it's 96 dpi), so there's no magic way to "add" info to suddenly get a 300 dpi starter image.

You can resize a screen capture and *then* play with the dpi from there, but there's no way to change what you start out with.

Edit: Er, whoops, Jacob beat me to it.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
This is for an article I'm submitting to a print magazine and I'm concerned that if I just bump the resolution up to 300 in Photoshop, it'll make the screenshot blurry because Photoshop will be adding information to the image.
I think that's a good way. I tried it myself, and everything looked alright. Here's a taste:

Just avoid saving it as a JPEG, because that'll leave artifacts.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Interesting... I took the screen captures on a Mac, but they defaulted to 72, not 96.

The article itself is ABOUT dpi (ironically), so it would be kind of embarassing to send a crappy screen capture.

Quote:
Just avoid saving it as a JPEG, because that'll leave artifacts.
Ack, good point. I hadn't thought of that. What's the best format for print... tiff?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I'm glad you did. It makes the thread seem a lot less lame than if no one had replied.
Someone would've replied shortly anyway, to help a damsel in distress (forumites are like that somehow, hmmm)

I unleashed my 1337 g00gle skills on the problem and found this, although I'm not sure the trial version is fully functional (though *cough* astalavista *cough* might help you with that ). Good luck!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Interesting... I took the screen captures on a Mac, but they defaulted to 72, not 96.

The article itself is ABOUT dpi (ironically), so it would be kind of embarassing to send a crappy screen capture.

Ack, good point. I hadn't thought of that. What's the best format for print... tiff?
Depends, tiff files are usually quite large (several megabytes), so that's a bit clumsy for web publication, what's it for?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
TIFF should work. If you're bringing it to an outside party for printing, you might want to ask them what they like to use.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

It's for a print magazine, not the web. The printing's completely out of my control. I'm just supposed to provide them with graphics that are at least 300 dpi.

I'm going to ask the editor if they have a preferred file format, but if not I'll probably go with TIFF.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
Diva of Death

The best format to save in is whatever the printer tells you is the best format to save in. (I used to work as a secretary for a graphic design shop, and the vast array of filetypes involved was weird, to put it mildly.) But yeah, a lossless format like TIFF or PNG would prolly be good.

How big do you need the screenshot to print out? You may just be able to get away with trying to capture a screen using the largest screen res you can manage from one of your computers, and just let them print it, if they're using 300 dpi and you don't mind a kind of dinky result.

Edit: Feh, never mind, I'm too slow again!

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
It's for a print magazine, not the web. The printing's completely out of my control. I'm just supposed to provide them with graphics that are at least 300 dpi.

I'm going to ask the editor if they have a preferred file format, but if not I'll probably go with TIFF.
You should go with TIFF then, uncompressed files is all they use in publishing, so there I think they probably meant that the printing itself would be 300 DPI, and someone explained it in a wrong way, or something?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
How big do you need the screenshot to print out? You may just be able to get away with trying to capture a screen using the largest screen res you can manage from one of your computers, and just let them print it, if they're using 300 dpi and you don't mind a kind of dinky result.
That's what I wanted to do. Unfortunately, it's not a whole screen, but a (small) window in Photoshop. If I just do a screen capture of the window and increase the dpi to 300, the printed size decreases to like 1".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I think they probably meant that the printing itself would be 300 DPI, and someone explained it in a wrong way, or something?
The guidelines said that any digital images provided should be at least 300 dpi. This magazine probably doesn't print screenshots very often (if ever), so they were probably assuming the graphics would be digital photos. I may just send the 72 dpi version AND the 300 dpi version, and tell them to use whichever they prefer.

(It's the first time I've worked with this publication, so I'm a little nervous about everything being just right.)
Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
merely human

fov, why not simply contact the magazine and ask them how to do it? If they don't know they may be able to refer you to someone who does.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
Diva of Death

Fov: Ahh. In that case, you are going to have to blow up the shot then, until you end up with something the right original size so that when they print it out at 300 dpi or whatever it'll end up the right output size. Simply changing the original small image from 72 dpi to 300 dpi without changing the size won't accomplish much.

Personally, I'd just give 'em the plain unadulterated screenshot and say, "Sorry guys, you know this art stuff, I don't." I know full well what sort of fee rate graphic artists pull in... they can handle it. ;P Alternatively you could take the shot to a local graphic artist yourself and have them tweak it for you/give you advice, if you're worried about getting things just right.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
fov, why not simply contact the magazine and ask them how to do it? If they don't know they may be able to refer you to someone who does.
But... but... that would be too easy!

The reason I'm stressing about it is that the article is about dpi. So, in theory, I should know something about it myself. Problem is, the article explains to minaturists (who are working with files that print out at 1" across or smaller!) how to get a good-looking graphic on a home printer. Making the graphic look good at normal size on a professional printer is a whole different issue.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's at least helped me know how to approach the problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Aj_
Beyond Belief

TIFF files are flexible, they can take all the characteristics of a JPEG, or all the characteristics of a BITMAP. So you want to choose non-lossy compression, and colour format you want.

The way they use dpi seems wrong to me, I can't tell what they're on about. I'm pretty sure they're miss using terms, or being unnessarily confusing.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
The way they use dpi seems wrong to me, I can't tell what they're on about. I'm pretty sure they're miss using terms, or being unnessarily confusing.
How so?

I think they're just trying to ensure that any digital photos they receive (as opposed to prints or slides) have a higher resolution than digital cameras usually default to.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
How so?

I think they're just trying to ensure that any digital photos they receive (as opposed to prints or slides) have a higher resolution than digital cameras usually default to.
Exactly, it has nothing to do with what they want.

dpi probably more accurately ppi(since dpi is already used for something else), is used to determine the size on the paper, not the resolution/quality.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #20
Diva of Death

Heh, he has a point, what they probably should be saying is something along the lines of, "We need a source image that's x pixels high and x pixels wide to get the size print you need."

Peace & Luv, Liz