You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Disney purchased Pixar Animation today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Friendly Server Admin

Default Disney purchased Pixar Animation today

Pixar's board just approved Disney's $7.4 billion purchase of their studio today. The deal makes Steve Jobs the largest shareholder at Disney, with 7% of DIS stock, and gives him a position on the Disney board (with a very likely shot at Chairman when the current chairman retires soon). It also places several key Pixar people in leadership positions within Disney, with John Lasseter taking lead positions at both Walt Disney Feature Animation AND Walt Disney Imagineering (which creates attractions and concepts for the theme parks).

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060124-6038.html
Old 01-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

My friend was just complaining about this purchase. She basically said Disney had too many rules and regulations. I really don't know if it's a good or bad thing.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Banned User

Emperor's New Groove is the best Disney movie of all time.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I think its good, I loved every Disney classic and specially the new stuff. And I doubt this will limit any creativity, Pixar & Disney make the best team, its good news for me.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I think its good, I loved every Disney classic and specially the new stuff. And I doubt this will limit any creativity, Pixar & Disney make the best team, its good news for me.
I still have mixed feelings about this; although I love the work of both companies, it'll probably mean less projects from both combined than if they were separate entities, but on the other hand they'll probably make even more magical stuff together, I don't know.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
A Servicable Villain

The way I see it it means Pixar quality is invading the stagnant Disney corp. Although we probably won't see any risqué titles from Pixar now that I was so desperate for after the incredible The Incredibles, but hey, the odds are there'll be good stuff made there.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
SamNMax

It was gonna happen eventually.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
Although we probably won't see any risqué titles from Pixar now that I was so desperate for after the incredible The Incredibles, but hey, the odds are there'll be good stuff made there.
Are you saying The Incredibles were risqué?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

This is a quite interesting deal. It will be intriguing to see what happens in the next few years.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
This is a quite interesting deal. It will be intriguing to see what happens in the next few years.
They'll prolly make a 3D Emperor's New Groove .
Old 01-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I wonder if Steve Jobs will immediately get the Imagineers busy designing a new rollercoaster based on Apple's stock price over the years?

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
A Servicable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Are you saying The Incredibles were risqué?
No, but already more mature than their previous films. The anticipation was that Pixar would explore this more after they would have cut themselves off from Disney.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
OUATIJ Creator

Disney isn't what it used to be. Pixar is at the top of their game. Dunno what I think about this deal...
Old 01-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Emperor's New Groove is the best Disney movie of all time.
Yeah it was ok, but Toy Story was better
Old 01-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
Translate Me

I hope this deal will lift up Disney without bringing down Pixar. I also hope it won't change the working environment of Pixar too much -- excellent, free, ongoing art training at "Pixar U"; amazing hiring incentives for talented animators; every employee being able to take home for a night the Oscar from any movie they were involved with; and so on. When my friend was hired as an animator by Pixar, they paid her entire moving expenses from the east coast to the west coast, bought her a modest but nice house(!), gave her a new car(!), and hired her husband into their marketing department when she let them know he was having a tough time finding a new job in the region. I don't know too many other companies willing to spend close to half a million dollars on a new animator... and this wasn't even extraordinary treatment: they've done as much and more for many of their employees. Maybe a company doesn't have to do all these things to attract some of the best and the brightest in the industry, but I'll bet it helps keep them, and I'm sure that without a mortgage or car payments to worry about, one would come to work feeling a bit lighter, a bit happier, and ready to put more soul into every frame of the movie.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

My hope is that with so many Pixar execs coming into key roles in Disney's Feature Animation department, Pixar will retain the freedom to continue doing things their own way. From what I've seen of Bob Iger, he has the sense to realize that Pixar, left to their own devices, has brought in >$2 billion with only 5 films to date, and that it would be foolish to mess with that. Plus, Pixar is geographically seperated, so hopefully it won't be full of Disney execs harumphing their way around the place all the time

Also, Eisner is gone, so it might not get micromanaged into the ground.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #17
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Pixars next movie doesnt look too good atall...I seen a trailer for it that was on the incredibles DVD and it kinda sucked
Old 01-25-2006, 01:56 AM   #18
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Pixars next movie doesnt look too good atall...I seen a trailer for it that was on the incredibles DVD and it kinda sucked
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/cars/

The new one is much much better. Remember, too, that 90% of Pixar teasers use footage made specially for the teaser rather than actual footage from the film.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 AM   #19
Psychonaut

Another death Nail in the coffin of 2D animation.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Another death Nail in the coffin of 2D animation.
Disney had already moved on from 2D animation, except for some direct-to-dvd trash like Cinderella III, Bambi II, The Fox and the Hound II and Brother Bear II coming out this year. If a death nail in the coffin of 2D animation means no more unnecessary sequels, I don't see the problem.

I think this is great news, and hopefully we will see Disney making a comeback like they did in the early 90's. Besides, I wouldn't completely rule out a return to 2D animation in the near future.