You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Upcoming Electronics You'd Love To Get Your Hands On?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
OUATIJ Creator

Default Upcoming Electronics You'd Love To Get Your Hands On?

This can be anything: game systems, a new PC, a new TV, a new DVD player, whatever... Are you excited about anything coming out in the world of electronics?

Personally, I'm thrilled about several things on the way, but it all has to start with the display (some would say the sound system, I disagree). Basically, it wouldn't be worthwhile to get a new Blu Ray DVD player or PS3 (which will supposedly have Blu Ray as well as 1080p games) if I can't really see all of that detail on my television.

Some people here know that I have a room devoted to movies, games, etc. Needless to say, it's my favorite room in the house. The Stewart Ultramatte 150 screen should be good as long as I'm happy with the size (123"), but my Sharp XV-Z10000 DLP projector is 720p native (1280x720 resolution) with a 2600:1 contrast ratio and 800 ANSI Lumens. As amazing as it looks, it's just not going to cut it in the 1080p world that is on the way. It's also important to note that almost all 1080p televisions out so far aren't true 1080p. They use a chip that actually has 960x1,080 physical pixels, then through a process known as "wobulation" they try to emulate true 1080p.

That brings me to the electronic device that I want more than anything else. Coming in Q3 2006, it's the Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP projector. It has a true 1920x1080 (1080p) DMD, 10000:1 contrast ratio, and 1,000 ANSI Lumens. It also looks cooler than my old projector, and has many more inputs, which I require. I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on this thing! Unfortunately, the MSRP is unknown, and speculation thus far has been quite terrifying. Sharp says it will be "over $10,000", but some guys over at the AV Science forums are estimating around $18,000...I REALLY hope that's wrong. Yikes. But, but....it just looks so....BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Old 01-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I would really like a new LCD PC monitor, the one I have has a huge resolution but its very chuncky and takes up too much space, its almost 10 inches thick.

And a Xbox 360 + Plasma TV would go down nicely. lol

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
This can be anything: game systems, a new PC, a new TV, a new DVD player, whatever... Are you excited about anything coming out in the world of electronics?

Personally, I'm thrilled about several things on the way, but it all has to start with the display (some would say the sound system, I disagree). Basically, it wouldn't be worthwhile to get a new Blu Ray DVD player or PS3 (which will supposedly have Blu Ray as well as 1080p games) if I can't really see all of that detail on my television.

Some people here know that I have a room devoted to movies, games, etc. Needless to say, it's my favorite room in the house. The Stewart Ultramatte 150 screen should be good as long as I'm happy with the size (123"), but my Sharp XV-Z10000 DLP projector is 720p native (1280x720 resolution) with a 2600:1 contrast ratio and 800 ANSI Lumens. As amazing as it looks, it's just not going to cut it in the 1080p world that is on the way. It's also important to note that almost all 1080p televisions out so far aren't true 1080p. They use a chip that actually has 960x1,080 physical pixels, then through a process known as "wobulation" they try to emulate true 1080p.

That brings me to the electronic device that I want more than anything else. Coming in Q3 2006, it's the Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP projector. It has a true 1920x1080 (1080p) DMD, 10000:1 contrast ratio, and 1,000 ANSI Lumens. It also looks cooler than my old projector, and has many more inputs, which I require. I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on this thing! Unfortunately, the MSRP is unknown, and speculation thus far has been quite terrifying. Sharp says it will be "over $10,000", but some guys over at the AV Science forums are estimating around $18,000...I REALLY hope that's wrong. Yikes. But, but....it just looks so....BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Might as well get a REAL dlp system

Edge Blending = Woo. You can stitch together a bunch of these guys to form one mega-image
Old 01-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Psychonaut

A PS3 would be nice.

But at the CES show recently Sony announced this....

http://products.sel.sony.com/pa/PRS/...howcase_reader

The Sony Reader. Uses the electronic paper and the E-Ink technology rather than LCD so it's like reading off real paper.

Sony think it might do to books what the IPOD did for music.

Cool.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Might as well get a REAL dlp system
Who has space in their home for a "mega image"? Heh. My screen is already 9 feet wide and 5 feet tall. Sitting 16 feet away, it feels like a movie theater already. Besides, I know what my Z10000 looks like...it drops jaws to the floor. I skipped the Z12000 because it's not different enough from the Z10000. The Z20000 will be amazing though: improved resolution, contrast ratio, and brightness. Sign me up. Heh.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
merely human

To be truthful the last thing I'd want is to be able to 'appreciate' every single pore on the skin of an actor's face through the best technology. Also, I personally don't care about having the hugest-ass sized TV or HD movie image. As long as the picture is quite sharp and the hardware solid I'm perfectly happy munching popcorn just few feet in front of it. Hell, I love watching DVD movies on my laptop! I love the intimacy.

That said, I don't want anything. I already have the necessary piece of technology that helps organize, streamline, and colour my life - my recently acquired laptop.

Eventually I'll be able to afford an Xbox 360 and if I can't play it on my laptop monitor I'll save up for a modestly sized HDTV.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Who has space in their home for a "mega image"? Heh. My screen is already 9 feet wide and 5 feet tall. Sitting 16 feet away, it feels like a movie theater already. Besides, I know what my Z10000 looks like...it drops jaws to the floor. I skipped the Z12000 because it's not different enough from the Z10000. The Z20000 will be amazing though: improved resolution, contrast ratio, and brightness. Sign me up. Heh.
Ah, well, this is the screen we're using (at work)

Old 01-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
OUATIJ Creator

Well tabacco, no offense...but I just looked up the stats on that Panasonic and it's a joke when 1080p comes around. Granted, the ANSI Lumens are nice because they'd have to be for humongous screens like that. Also, it's a 3 chipper, but with color wheels being what they are these days, most people don't see rainbows on $10k - $15k 1 chippers.

That machine has a 4000:1 contrast ratio (I'll take 10000:1, thanks), and a lower resolution that won't do true 1080p. And for the love of God the native aspect ratio on that thing is 4:3, which makes it USELESS outside of a business setting anyway. Heh.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it's 16 : 9. Still, I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, a year ago that projector would have been awesome. Not for me, of course, since the massive brightness of that projector isn't suited for home use and would kill the contrast. For an actual movie theater though, that was top of the line about a year ago I think.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
merely human

Which means you won, right, Oncesie?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Which means you won, right, Oncesie?
I didn't mean it like that. That's a very nice projector. But it's not just about cost. Tabacco was just meaning that if I was even thinking of paying $18k for a projector I might as well get that projector he showed me for around the same price, since it's a 3 chip DLP. But even if that projector was 1080p, I still wouldn't buy it for my situation because that projector is WAY too bright for the size of my screen. I would be looking at a white screen basically, heh. But he's right, that projector was top of the line in November of 2004, and is still quite awesome.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
merely human

Just kidding, hon. But you have to promise to have me over for movies when you're all set up. I'll shell out for popcorn and wine.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

i'm would like 2 things my electronics project (coz that would be helpful) and an decent pc

Marise-Chiko
Old 01-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
I didn't mean it like that. That's a very nice projector. But it's not just about cost. Tabacco was just meaning that if I was even thinking of paying $18k for a projector I might as well get that projector he showed me for around the same price, since it's a 3 chip DLP. But even if that projector was 1080p, I still wouldn't buy it for my situation because that projector is WAY too bright for the size of my screen. I would be looking at a white screen basically, heh. But he's right, that projector was top of the line in November of 2004, and is still quite awesome.
Actually, I didn't mean that. I don't really care what projector you buy. I personally wouldn't want a projection system in my home at all. That happens to be a product I use at work and quite like the look of. If you don't like it, that's cool. I don't want it in my home either. It's loud, hot, and requires some major mounting hardware. I think, though, that Trep's right. You may be a little overcompetitive in your A/V choices. I presented a joke reply, and you defended yours to the death.

Personally, I want a Revolution. And a pony.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Just kidding, hon. But you have to promise to have me over for movies when you're all set up. I'll shell out for popcorn and wine.
I've already got the wine, but if I buy that thing...I'll be too poor to buy popcorn so, cool.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Actually, I didn't mean that. I don't really care what projector you buy. I personally wouldn't want a projection system in my home at all. That happens to be a product I use at work and quite like the look of. If you don't like it, that's cool. I don't want it in my home either. It's loud, hot, and requires some major mounting hardware. I think, though, that Trep's right. You may be a little overcompetitive in your A/V choices. I presented a joke reply, and you defended yours to the death.

Personally, I want a Revolution. And a pony.
No, I'm sure it looks great. That was never my point. Argh. My point is that technology changes so quickly, that what is top of the line one day, is no longer at the top the next. What I have in my home right now isn't top of the line anymore either. Two superior models have come out in the same line since mine was new. That projector at your work is very, very nice but it competes in a different market. Had I known you were joking, I wouldn't have found it so silly. You were presenting a 75 foot screen DLP projector for my consideration as a home projector, heh.

Anyway, in defense of home projection though, they are much quieter, lighter weight, and run cooler. That Panasonic weighs about 50 lbs., mine is 20. Those theater beast projectors are loud as hell, I agree. Anyway, sorry about not catching your joke. Anyway, here's my joke:

Tabacco's Work Screen VS. OAV's screen

I surrender. Tabacco's willy is larger and more manly.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 01-08-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
I surrender. Tabacco's willy is larger and more manly.
Well, that's really all I ask.

Incidentally, that room actually has two of the Panasonic DLPs, a Sanyo LCD, two 35mm projectors, two 16mm projectors, and 2 xenon slide projectors. Also there's a full Dolby cinema sound processor and some fairly beefy power amps to drive the surround sound system. Take that

Last edited by tabacco; 01-08-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oncesie
Tabacco's willy is larger and more manly.
Well, that's really all I ask.
You're asking for a large willy?
Old 01-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Quiet, you.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Oi, you already have one tempsie.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Oi, you already have one tempsie.
'tempsie'?