You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Silent Hill is Here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #121
merely human

Finally saw it this afternoon. Three words: Instant cult classic.

Wow, I haven't seen a horror movie this rich, warped, well orchestrated, and visually beautiful since Suspiria, Kubrick's The Shining, and Cronenberg's Videodrome, Scanners, and The Brood.

And actually I think the obscurity of the core story worked extremely well, because it keeps the audience in a perpetual state of imbalance, so that they're forced to look for clues and symbols, much like the concept of the original game of Silent Hill. The explanatory monologue towards the climax was almost too revealing, really. But then I supposed it was necessary in order to satisfy the clueless.

Spoiler:
But I hated that they killed Cybil Bennett off. That was cheap. She had an interesting enough back story to establish an emotional and psychological depth that, sadly, was neglected for further exploration.

Many of the best monsters entities from the first two games were used and depicted lovingly and accurately. Pyramid Head's dramatic entrance was jawdropping. They also used many of the original music and sound effects from the games. Even some of the sets (like Midwich Elementary School) were eerily accurate to the game. The first dimension shifting scene where Rose flicks on her butane lighter is EXACTLY straight out of the first Silent Hill game - absolutely magnificent. And that scene where the dimension shifts in the bathroom in the school is peerless!!

Pragmatically it's definitely a little too closed off to audiences who haven't played the first and second game, but there's definitely an exquisite sensibility in this film that you rarely ever find in typical Hollywood horror fare. And hopefully this movie will ignite substantial interest in the games themselves (I now expect there to be a Silent Hill 5 or something in the works).

I AM ABSOLUTELY BUYING THE DVD!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #122
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I didn't find this scary at all, its ment to be horror right?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #123
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Finally saw it this afternoon. Three words: Instant cult classic.

Wow, I haven't seen a horror movie this rich, warped, well orchestrated, and visually beautiful since Suspiria, Kubrick's The Shining, and Cronenberg's Videodrome, Scanners, and The Brood.

And actually I think the obscurity of the core story worked extremely well, because it keeps the audience in a perpetual state of imbalance, so that they're forced to look for clues and symbols, much like the concept of the original game of Silent Hill. The explanatory monologue towards the climax was almost too revealing, really. But then I supposed it was necessary in order to satisfy the clueless.

Spoiler:
But I hated that they killed Cybil Bennett off. That was cheap. She had an interesting enough back story to establish an emotional and psychological depth that, sadly, was neglected for further exploration.

Many of the best monsters entities from the first two games were used and depicted lovingly and accurately. Pyramid Head's dramatic entrance was jawdropping. They also used many of the original music and sound effects from the games. Even some of the sets (like Midwich Elementary School) were eerily accurate to the game. The first dimension shifting scene where Rose flicks on her butane lighter is EXACTLY straight out of the first Silent Hill game - absolutely magnificent. And that scene where the dimension shifts in the bathroom in the school is peerless!!

Pragmatically it's definitely a little too closed off to audiences who haven't played the first and second game, but there's definitely an exquisite sensibility in this film that you rarely ever find in typical Hollywood horror fare. And hopefully this movie will ignite substantial interest in the games themselves (I now expect there to be a Silent Hill 5 or something in the works).

My sentiments exactly. I'd have preferred if they'd left out the explanatory monologue, which def felt like it was shoved in there as an afterthought to clue in non-fans, but then the critics etc would have hounded the film even more for its 'incomprehensible plot' if it was left out. Bring on the DVD! Can't wait to see the extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
I didn't find this scary at all, its ment to be horror right?
I wouldn't say I found it scary either, mostly cos I was cheering whenever a new monster came along There were definitely lots of tense moments though, and the atmosphere was amazing. And my gf was petrified, bless her

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 04-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #124
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

This sounds a little too much to me like a film that's pointed a camera at the game rather than actually being great as a film. Which is fine if you've played the games and enjoy the oh-look-they-put-that-bit-in moments, but I'm not sure that it actually has anything great to offer me - as someone who hasn't played any of the SH games - other than some dubious acting.

Anyway, I'm glad that people are enjoying it .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #125
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
This sounds a little too much to me like a film that's pointed a camera at the game rather than actually being great as a film. Which is fine if you've played the games and enjoy the oh-look-they-put-that-bit-in moments...
You know, you could say roughly the same about movie adaptations of books: "Wow, they reproduced that scene in Out Of Africa like I imagined it in Dinesen's novel!"

Quote:
Anyway, I'm glad that people are enjoying it .
It was well worth the discount matinee price.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #126
Banned User

I'm more interested in "An American Haunting."
Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #127
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

This movie was great. You could not make a movie that perfectly captures the spirit of the game. Hopefully we'll see a sequel that tackles the storyline of SH2.

And the burning alive sequence in this one. Yeep. I rarely get uncomfortable during horror movies, but I almost had to look away.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #128
Dungeon Master

Quote:
You know, you could say roughly the same about movie adaptations of books: "Wow, they reproduced that scene in Out Of Africa like I imagined it in Dinesen's novel!"
If I'm allowed reply to that (without you feeling picked on, I mean ), I think you missed his point. It was not about how many, or how accurately, scenes are reproduced. It's usually considered a flaw when a book adaptation can't stand on its own, ie. confuses the part of the audience who hasn't read the original source. I don't think that was the case with Out of Africa (granted, I've seen it looong ago, so I may be wrong).
Old 04-29-2006, 08:03 AM   #129
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
That's all I needed to hear. I was wondering whether I should go see this or not. Now I shall!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #130
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
If I'm allowed reply to that (without you feeling picked on, I mean ), I think you missed his point. It was not about how many, or how accurately, scenes are reproduced. It's usually considered a flaw when a book adaptation can't stand on its own, ie. confuses the part of the audience who hasn't read the original source. I don't think that was the case with Out of Africa (granted, I've seen it looong ago, so I may be wrong).
Cha-ching! This is actually the main reason why I don't like the Lord of the Rings films.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #131

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

I had reservations, but I was too curious.

Big mistake.

That movie was absolute garbage.

The dialogue was corny beyond belief. I already was hesitant when I heard Roger Avery was at the helm, but good god that was horrible, not that the wooden acting helped. Several members of the audience would laugh after nearly every ridiculous line, and who could blame them.

To make matters worse, someone needs to tell the director that when making a horror film, you need some scares, or at least a little tension. Not scary in the least. In fact, when it looks like there will be a build up, and I got excited, I was treated to half an hour of clumsy exposition. Which was yet another problem. The pacing was broken, and the scenes with Sean Bean were pointless and ruined the mood. Either you were bored with the tediousness, or things felt too rushed.

On a technical level, everything worked. The costumes, the atmosphere, the sound, the make-up. But on a creative level, it was a huge letdown.

I so thought this would be the video game movie to change everything. Damn it.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #132
Party On Dudes

i saw this film today, god it was violent for a fifteen. it was a horror film i actually got scared at at parts so it's done a good job. the camera angles were great at mimicking the game and to be honest this is the best game-to-screen adaption EVER even if the silent hill games weren't as good as resi evil. worth your money.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #133
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
i saw this film today, god it was violent for a fifteen. it was a horror film i actually got scared at at parts so it's done a good job. the camera angles were great at mimicking the game and to be honest this is the best game-to-screen adaption EVER even if the silent hill games weren't as good as resi evil. worth your money.
Yeah, exactly what I thought too, SCRUGs. If anything, I was seriously just loving the sheer aesthetic quality of the entire movie. The art direction was superb, the choreography (of the entities) worked - it just flowed well. An imperfect yet striking sweep of style - and stylization.

Of course, it's not a perfect movie by far, even within the genre of horror, but it definitely boasts moments of obliquely poetic visions, thanks in large part to the imaginativeness of the original games.

Oh, and I was never really scared by it, though thank god I wasn't the one having to go through that great ordeal that Rose Da Silva went through.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #134
Iconoclast

I can't say for sure if I liked it as I had a bad headache when I saw it at the theater and due to a lack of seats wound up sitting too close the screen, thus making my headache even worse.

Perhaps because of that, I spent the first half of the movie mostly bored and irritated. There was just too much mindless running around and not enough exposition(for a movie). The horrible acting didn't help either.

OTOH, the visuals were utterly awesome. You can tell a lot of effort was put into making the movie look just like the games. The Pyramid Head scenes absolutely rocked!

I really need to see it again when I'm not in pain to pass proper judgment on it though.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #135
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I just saw it tonight, I thought it was really good although it could be better.

Spoiler:
Roses "entrance" at the ending was a bit of a letdown, It probably would have been better if she got there before cybil was burned or during the burning, not after the body has had time to cool off and they are all taking 5....and even then it could have still been good if she came in with feeling but it was just dull....although it picked up when the darkness got into the church but even then they could have done better than having her blaber untill the cult leader just walks up and stabs her....
It was still a good film, especialy for a game adaption
The ending was pretty awful though....you kinda knew what had happened but you wanted to where it was going, and it doesnt feel like it would be enough just for a sequal but I guess well have to wait and see.

Although I would have preffered that the movie would have been based off of the theme in Silent hill 2 with the inner deamons and stuff opposed to the whole religiouse cult thing.

And I though that there was supposed to be no CG monsters, or was that just reffering to the nurses?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #136
Chris Barraclough

I think all of the monsters were real but touched up with CG, and if that's true then they were damn impressive.

Spoiler:
I know what you mean about the religious cult, I kind of wished they hadn't bothered with them. The plot could have definitely used some tuning, as could the awful dialogue. But I'm looking forward to the DVD just to see the fantastic creatures and Pyramid Head ripping off annoying womans skin again!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-05-2006, 04:54 AM   #137
Party On Dudes

Spoiler:
you both need a slap, there was nothing wrong with the ending it was well paced and the acting wasn't exactly brilliant but it wasn't anywhere near 'bad'.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #138
Chris Barraclough

Spoiler:
Are you including me in that? I didn't mind the ending, I thought it was alright and pretty unexpected. As for the acting, I thought Rhoda (is that her first name?) and Sean Bean both did a decent job. As far as horror movies go I've seen worse, although some of the support was dodgy at best.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:43 AM   #139
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
Spoiler:
you both need a slap, there was nothing wrong with the ending it was well paced and the acting wasn't exactly brilliant but it wasn't anywhere near 'bad'.
Like hell it was
Spoiler:
Oooooh were Haunting yoooooou!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #140
Party On Dudes

Spoiler:
spoiler tags are awesome, and i don't wanna argue about opinions, everyones right i guess