You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Silent Hill is Here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #81
Banned User

Am I the only one who thinks the part where the little girl says "I am the reaper" is totally lame? I have some huge doubts about this movie. Still, Sean Bean IS in it...so I guess i'll see it anyway...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #82
Explorer of the uncharted

I'm the same jjacob. There are two rules you must have in mind if you whant to make a good horror movie: Less is more and don't use cgi unless there's no other alternitive.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM   #83
Chris Barraclough

And the first review is out!!

http://www.horrorchannel.com/index.p...content&id=902

The town of Silent Hill sits quietly among the mountains. The stores sit empty, the streets vacant, and cars lay about as if frozen in time. Ash falls from the sky like a sweet winter's snow. As you step down these streets, your footfalls’ echo is your only company ... but there is something else. Down an alley nearby there is a scratching. As you draw closer, a low, strained moan lends accompaniment. Your first thought is that someone is in distress, but finding the source of these sounds reveals otherwise. You are staring into the face if something horrible … something not right … and it is lurching toward you.

The video game series Silent Hill hoped to draw the player into a soft sense of security before forcing you into therapy with images seemingly from hell itself. The movie adaptation proves to be just as ambitious. From the opening scene Silent Hill grabs you by the throat and shakes every so often to make sure you don’t miss a second of what’s happening to you. You start in the world we all live in. It’s not perfect, but it's home. Little Sharon Da Silva (Ferland) is plagued by nightmares of a place she doesn’t seem to remember when she wakes. Her mother Rose (Mitchell), hoping to save the sanity of her ailing child, packs up the car and with child in tow heads for the place her daughter has made real through her screams. Speeding along the mountain road, their car spins out of control, knocking Rose unconscious. When she awakens, her daughter is gone. Now, aided only by police officer Cybil Bennet (Holden) and the clues left behind by what appears to be her daughter, Rose ventures into Silent Hill and is ultimately caught up in its secrets.

Our first glimpses of Silent Hill come at a frenzied pace as Rose searches solo for her daughter. For a fan of the game coming down the main street is like returning to a neighborhood you spent time in as a child. The air is thick with soot, limiting your visibility to mere feet. Everything seems like a realistic photocopy of its game counterpart complete with storefronts, mailboxes, and street signs. Rounding a corner and down an alley, Rose breezes through back streets with garage doors and signs of life long since past strewn about, all too familiar. This absence of life heightens your anticipation for what you know could be around any corner, whether you’ve played the game or not. Sooner or later Rose finds her way indoors when an air raid-like siren sounds and her world goes from a quiet gray to a violent black. Ash covered streets are replaced with wet walks reflecting a glowing fire somewhere below. Decay has taken hold, and rust seems to have overtaken not only steel frames but also walls and anything touching them. In this newly shifted world something shrieks and twitches and almost longs for Rose’s flesh.

These scenes are intense! I can’t even recall the last time I was so locked into a movie. Radha Mitchell’s fear is so real it becomes your own. It’s not you just watching Rose flee in terror ... it’s you on the edge of your seat waiting to be able to catch your breath. Believability had to be high to pull off a lot of the scares of Silent Hill, and Mitchell comes through big time. Laurie Holden is no slouch either, playing Cybil as a no-nonsense cop, duty bound and tough as they come until thrust into a situation that should not be real. You can watch her face go through 10k emotions as she, instead of rationalizing what is happening, turns to Rose and yells, "You saw that, didn’t you?! What the ****!!"
Look out too for supporting cast member Deborah Kara Unger, whose unearthly features brought the character of Dahlia from haggard mess to unhinged and supernatural. I’ve also got to very quickly sing the praises of Jodelle Ferland, who raises the creepy little long-haired girl character to an art form. Remember the cheesy demony voice from the commercials as she says, "I am the Reaper"? Gone. All Jodelle needs is her timid little voice to deliver lines guaranteed to send a chill to your nether regions. Minimalist makeup makes the young actress appear less demonic and more like a fractured porcelain doll that’s taken some lumps and has had enough. Jodelle is at once the picture of innocence and the mouth of hell. Watch and you’ll see what I mean!

After a time we become like Pavlov’s dog, conditioned to sink into our seats with the blasting of every siren. I mean ... come on!! Isn’t a ghost town with ash falling from the sky bad enough? You have to watch hell take over every few hours or so, too? With hell comes familiar video game characters like the skittering black bugs, the faceless nurses, and fan favorite Pyramid Head. I’ll save the rest, unseen in commercials and clips, as a surprise. None of these characters disappoint. Director Christophe Gans proves he has studied this game time and again and recreates every aspect with painstaking detail. When it comes to the creatures, Gans takes the uneasy feelings stirred up by these demons and folds that into visceral, surreal manifestations the likes of which only Clive Barker could imagine. Sound plays a huge part in sucking you into the story. Music drives you through scenes dictating the pace, reflecting feeling and sometimes forcing your internal need to want to run. Sound effects blast across the theater adding some "jump moments" to an already heart-wrenching ride. The combination of all these elements creates a fully cohesive universe which at times will be hard to live in, but you’ll never look away.

I have to admit, as much as I’m gushing over Silent Hill, it did seem a bit long. Folded into the story of Rose’s search for her daughter is the tale of Christopher Da Silva (Bean), who follows the trail left by his wife Rose straight into a very different Silent Hill. At times these moments overlap, but eventually we have to follow Christopher again, tearing you away from Rose and her battle with an ever-encroaching hell world. Granted, it is necessary to tell the story, but I’ll be curious to see how horror fans who know nothing of the games take to it. I will say that there are only two moments among all two hours of this film where the pacing slows down to give you backstory and plot. This story holds together and sticks very closely to its source material, referencing at least the first three video games of the same name.

Now there’s one thing horror fans have been buzzing about since day one. With an R rating, blood must follow. In this, Silent Hill does not disappoint. There are moments in this movie where you expect the usual cutaway from what will be an exceptionally sticky scene … and happily that doesn’t happen! The terrors of Silent Hill rip through its inhabitants with barely a pause in their steps. These are demons with an agenda christened with lots of the red stuff! By the time the movie climaxes, the sets are so red, any true horror fan will stand up and clap ... most likely to the odd glances of the normal folk nearby, but don’t be shy! Give the director his due. I haven’t seen a body count like this since Kong, but alas, the big furry guy didn’t leave bloody monkey prints. Now THAT would have been a completely different film, eh?

Silent Hill is without a doubt the most faithful adaptation of a video game ever made while still being a damn fun ride. You are looking at 30% mystery and 70% pure horror. There is more blood, human remains, and in-your-face kills in this film than we’ve seen on the screen in a looooong time. So now, take note. Tell your friends. I fully expect you to get to the movies on opening weekend and make Silent Hill number 1!! You’ve been screaming for more blood on your horror plate. Now you’ve got it.

4 ½ out of 5 Mugs O' Blood

Oh man oh man I can't wait to see it, I'm so relieved it got a good review. Believe the hype

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 04-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #84
Banned User

That review can't be true. From rottentomatoes.com:

Quote:
We're guessing that the people behind "Silent Hill" would consider the little girl on the poster to be the perfect movie critic for one reason: she's got no mouth. And there isn't anything for the critics to say, because, like a bunch of other movies this year (all of which have turned out to be critical duds), "Silent Hill" was not screened for the scribes. Kids, you know what that means: Guess the Tomatometer! And while you're at it, get a glimpse of the film in the Rotten Tomatoes' "Silent Hill" photo gallery.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #85

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Man, the "not screened for critics" rumor was just a rumor, and yet it's been stated so many times in the past two weeks. It was screened both today and yesterday, but now it has the reputation of being garbage that it did nothing to earn.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #86
merely human

Figures this would happen. Today I was walking west on Hollywood Boulevard on my way back for a brief visit to the G&L Center before hopping on the subway towards home. I saw a large crowd of gawkers gathered at one of the venues on the boulevard, across the street from Mann's Chinese Theater (where they have all the footprints and handprints of the stars in the pavement). There were cameras and media types as well.

Naturally I was wondering what's going on this time, and then I saw the Silent Hill movie poster. I don't think it was the big screening, so it was probably some kind of exclusive party for the cast and crew.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #87
Club a seal or two

Maybe none of the critics wanted to see it.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #88
OB

The movie has been playing since Wednesday here. I'm not sure why...none of the others get it until today(Friday). I would have seen in Wednesday if I'd known they jumped the gun.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #89
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
It was from rottentomatoes that I got the link to that review, and yes it's real, this site is excellent for horror films, I've been on it a few times and trust the reviewers. I've seen a lot of posts up from people who've seen it this week at pre-screenings, and they all said it was great (although apparently Pyramid Head should be in it more), except for one dumb woman who said it 'wasn't as good as Ice Age 2', wtf? Compare a horror film and a kiddie-friendly animation? Why don't we say that Poltergeist isn't as good as Bambi while we're at it?

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #90
kamikaze hummingbirds

THAT WILL NEVER BE SAID!!
Bambi and Poltergeist are at the same level of quality.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #91
Chris Barraclough

Some more reviews are up, in general they say that the imagery is fantastic and there's plenty of gore, and the acting from the main characters is good, although some have slated the writing, saying the plot makes no sense and it's a bit of a garbled mess. A couple of those reviewers haven't played the games though, so I'm not too worried by their comments. One even said there's one monster 'with a cheese grater for a head', which I'm guessing is Pyramid Head. The plots in the games weren't exactly clear, which is one of the reasons I love them - you can come up with your own theories about what the hell is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
THAT WILL NEVER BE SAID!!
Bambi and Poltergeist are at the same level of quality.
Hear hear

Old 04-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #92
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
One even said there's one monster 'with a cheese grater for a head', which I'm guessing is Pyramid Head.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #93

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Some more reviews are up, in general they say that the imagery is fantastic and there's plenty of gore, and the acting from the main characters is good, although some have slated the writing, saying the plot makes no sense and it's a bit of a garbled mess. A couple of those reviewers haven't played the games though, so I'm not too worried by their comments. One even said there's one monster 'with a cheese grater for a head', which I'm guessing is Pyramid Head. The plots in the games weren't exactly clear, which is one of the reasons I love them - you can come up with your own theories about what the hell is going on.
Hmmm...I agree that I might enjoy it because I played the game, but if you need to have played the game to understand the movie, that is kind of dissapointing. In fact, all the reviews so far seem to suggest that it succeeds as an adaptation, but fails as a stand alone movie. I have a feeling this is going to be a rental, and I'll go see American Dreamz or That You For Smoking this weekend instead.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:12 AM   #94
Chris Barraclough

Gans said in an interview a while back that he made it so both fans and newcomers would enjoy it, although I think with this kind of film you really need to have played the games to get the most out of it. When the sirens start wailing in the background, non-fans are gonna be 'huh?', and the fans are gonna be rubbing their hands together with glee Anyway, you should go see this instead of any movie with Hugh Grant in it

Old 04-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #95
merely human

I'd love to see Hugh Grant trapped in a room with Pyramid Head. He (Grant) just simply needs to be put in retirement, even if permanently.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #96
OB

AICN's 2nd from the top dog has his review posted:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23088

Here's a couple more:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23087
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23086
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23084

I know Knowles liked it, too. They're namedropping Argento and Fulci when comparing it with other flicks.

Quote:
I think Vern nailed it in his review this morning when he evoked the name of Dario Argento, just as I think Harry was right when he compared this to certain films by Fulci. This is very much in line with a sort of surreal European horror that we don’t see much of these days. I think the reason I’ve always loved SUSPIRIA is because of how it begins.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #97
is not wierd

I thought it looked really bad from the previews, but this chick wants to see it so I might end up seeing it.

As a side note: "Silent Hill , based on the popular video game, was not supposed to have been shown to film critics. Apparently the word never got out to whoever showed it to Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times. Ebert rated it with a single star followed by a question mark. Here is the opening paragraph of his review: "I had a nice conversation with seven or eight people coming down on the escalator after we all saw Silent Hill. They wanted me to explain it to them. I said I didn't have a clue. They said, 'You're supposed to be a movie critic, aren't you?' I said, 'Supposed to be. But we work mostly with movies.' 'Yeah, ' said the girl in the Harley t-shirt. 'I guess this was like a video game that you like had to play in order to like understand the movie.' I guess." The word apparently never got out to Canada, either, allowing Peter Howell in the Toronto Star to remark after seeing it that it was "dumber than a bag of coffin nails. ... It doesn't make a lick of sense.""
Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #98
merely human

Looks like Silent Hill may be destined to be one of those rather obscure cult classics, much like some of the esteemed European horror movies (Suspiria, Opera, etc.) or the works of Canadian David Cronenberg. That would be ironic, considering I've been seeing the billboards and posters plastered all over Los Angeles.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #99
is not wierd

Silent Hill a cult movie in the same league as Suspiria and David Cronenberg....well, I'll save my negative comments till I see it.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #100
merely human

I dunno yet. I plan on seeing it for matinee this Monday.

Sadly, I'll have no one to see it with. You see, I'm all alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicago Reader capsule review
Screenwriter Roger Avary (Pulp Fiction) positions women front and center--if only to have them bludgeoned, eviscerated, incinerated, and impaled. Horror maestro Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf) directed this feature, worth seeing for the zombie nurses who gyrate like a Bob Fosse chorus line before slicing each other to ribbons.
Heh heh, I thought that was amusing.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-21-2006 at 01:29 PM.