You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Silent Hill is Here

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #141
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Spoiler:
And yet everyone is wrong, its a crazy ol world
Old 06-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #142
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I was supposed to write about this movie when I saw it back in early May or late April, but I forgot...

I didn't like the movie. It's plot was messy and didn't make much sense. The last scene in the movie was great though, I think I completely understood it's meaning. I didn't find Silent Hill as a horror movie or even a scary movie, it did have some scary scenes and elements, but that's about it.

Pyramid Head was cool character, I wish that he would've had more screentime. There were some great scenes in the movie that felt great, like the first few times when the alarm sound started ringing and everything went dark!

I wanted to see this movie because Sean Bean was playing the husband of the main character, and I've never played any of the Silent Hill games. That's most likely the reason why the movie's plot felt a bit stupid and weird. This was clearly made for those who have played the games and loved them.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #143
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
This was clearly made for those who have played the games and loved them.
I agree. The story was simply told in too vague a fashion. Still, it was visually stunning, and I plan on getting the DVD just to gawk.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #144
Headbanger

I think it was a great movie. Not as good as it could have been but still really good. I don't really know how you feel about it if you haven't played the games' though.

They took some gaming aspects' and put those in the movie in different ways'. This makes the movie rather unique from other movies' (I've heard that other movies' based on games' do the same but this is the only one I've seen). I don't know if this makes the movie better but at least it's deffinately different and intresting.

The sound, lightning and the presentation of the story was really good and very true to the Silent Hill-concept. Two thumbs up for that
Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #145
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
They took some gaming aspects' and put those in the movie in different ways'. This makes the movie rather unique from other movies' (I've heard that other movies' based on games' do the same but this is the only one I've seen). I don't know if this makes the movie better but at least it's deffinately different and intresting.
Gaming aspects? Could you give us a couple examples of how they did that?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #146
hello

I have always wanted to play the silent hill games. Can you get them for PC? and which is the best?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #147
merely human

Personally I think the first Silent Hill is the best in terms of atmosphere and terror. Unfortunately you can only play it on a PS1 or PS2 console, and it's almost impossible to find a copy now. Silent Hill 2 is the sick! Absolutely one of the finest stories I've ever experienced in a game, and it trumps MOST adventure game stories! The ending made me cry and I stared at the screen for a while. It was so depressing, but satisfying.

Silent Hill 3 is more action oriented but the puzzles are as wicked as the first 2 games in the series, and the heroine is this wigged out, irascible, vengeful, yet likeable girl. The graphics and art direction of all 3 games are incredible.

I haven't played SH4, though, so don't know how that is. Someone else who has played it may tell you.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 06-16-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #148
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Personally I think the first Silent Hill is the best in terms of atmosphere and terror. Unfortunately you can only play it on a PS1 or PS2 console, and it's almost impossible to find a copy now. Silent Hill 2 is the sick! Absolutely one of the finest stories I've ever experienced in a game, and it trumps MOST adventure game stories! The ending made me cry and I stared at the screen for a while. It was so depressing, but satisfying.

Silent Hill 3 is more action oriented but the puzzles are as wicked as the first 2 games in the series, and the heroine is this wigged out, irascible, vengeful, yet likeable girl. The graphics and art direction of all 3 games are incredible.

I haven't played SH4, though, so don't know how that is. Someone else who has played it may tell you.
so the silent hill games are only on the playstation? is it worth buying one to play the games?

EDIT: OH just realised its only the first game which is only on PS
Old 06-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #149
merely human

If you don't have a Playstation and/or can't find a copy of the first SH, opt for SH2 for PC instead. After that, play SH3.

BTW, you might be interested in my review of Silent Hill 3 in the Reader Review section of these forums.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #150
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
I think it's the weakest in the series, although not a bad game by any means. Basically it's a series of levels, which you get to through portals in your apartment. The story is pretty interesting and makes references back to previous games, and some of the levels are pretty damn creepy (the highlight probably being a return to the hospital...) There's one major complaint I have though, and that's that:

MINOR SPOILER
Spoiler:
The levels repeat themselves in the second half of the game, just with different objects to pick up etc.

Also, the new ghosts are a complete pain in the arse.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #151
Headbanger

Quote:
Gaming aspects? Could you give us a couple examples of how they did that?
Well most noticable was the fact that the characters advanced in the movie the way you usually do in a game (an adventuregame to be exact). They found a clue that lead them to a place, then they found another clue that lead them to another place, and so on... Actually, a large part of the movie went to just seeing the main character exploring the towns different locations.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #152
gin soaked boy

Initially I intended to write a proper review of the film, but now I have neither the time nor the energy to do so. I'll just say it's bad. Maybe not as awful as the majority of game based movies, but still bad.

Its only saving grace is the scene in which
Spoiler:
Pyramid Head rips the flesh off of Anna's body,
but even that's not as terrifying as this.

I appreciate the effort, though, it's evidently a labour of love. My vision of Silent Hill is pretty different, but maybe I just projected that onto the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Cha-ching! This is actually the main reason why I don't like the Lord of the Rings films.
Why? Do you feel they can't stand on their own? Cause I've never read the books - neither do I have the intention of doing so - and I absolutely loved the films (except for the last one which dragged a little towards the end).

Last edited by insane_cobra; 06-20-2006 at 01:19 AM.