You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Pathetic people who live in the internet and their pastimes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default Pathetic people who live in the internet and their pastimes

I was having Citizen Kaneish thoughts so I went to see how much a DVD would set me back. Just for shits and giggles, I clicked to see all the [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003CX9E//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 reviews people have left behind.[/url] I noticed that there was this link to the side of the person's nick that read "see all my reviews". I was wondering what kind of person would give Citizen Kane one star out of five so I clicked to see what kind of stuff they liked... Imagine my surprise when EIGHT out of TEN people on that first page (and about the same ratio of people on the second page, I didn't bother clicking further) gave glowing reviews to everything and anything Reba McEntire as well as hated Citizen Kane.

Is there some sort of an odd demographic that loves Reba and hates Kane, I wonder? Or is there some really pathetic person in the internet who has generated twenty or more Amazon screen names only to bump up Reba and bump down Kane's score? People are funny, and philistines are the most hilarious.

I think this is the loser's most-loved screen name, since it is the most prodigious one of them all.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
OUATIJ Creator

LOL! I wouldn't worry about it. People who don't understand the excellence of Citizen Kane deserve our pity and that's about it. Does it really surprise you that they like crappy Reba McEntire music? My mother and sister are Reba fans. They think the movies I like are "weird" because they aren't all made in America and from the last 5 years. I pity them.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

What, you only notice that netizen fact now? "Any reviews posted on the internet are 99.5% trolling. Forums are mostly exempt from this phenomenom." Though sometimes I think the law should be adjusted to read something like "Note that the probability of trolling on IMDB is 100% as opposed to the standard 99.5%".
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
OB

That's probably true.

Yeeeehhhaaaaaaaawwwwww!!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
merely human

Yep. I hear ya, Kingzelbub.

After we signed up for Netflix and I finally got to see movies past and present and catch up with the cinema world, I started poking around the site and reading others' reviews on the titles I've seen thus far. I couldn't believe how pathetically plebeian many of them were. Things like giving Babette's Feast only 1 star because nothing ever happens for two hours! WTF! Like they were expecting f***ing Bruce Willis to suddenly drop down from an Apache and Uzi everyone to death and steal all the quails?

I just so wanted to post reviews on people's reviews and say: "Where the f*** were you born, the Philistines?!!"
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Friendly Server Admin

I know a depressing number of people who won't watch black and white films because they're "not as good". Some people are idiots.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

*raises one eyebrow*

Share the love.

<3
Old 10-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
SamNMax

Never seen it, but I guess it's supposed to be great. This whole thing reminds me of a one star epidemic that struck Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again a while back. Turned out that some douche was giving it shitty reviews with multiple screen names.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #9
Under pressure.

Who the hell is Reba McEntire?

--Erwin
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 AM   #10

I like the way this guy gets all excited about this (completely unknown to me) woman.

"This is not country music!! Its bubblegum pop!!! "

Old 10-04-2005, 03:59 AM   #11
Doctor Watson

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...A3VCWR40WNKAV2
Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #12
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yep. I hear ya, Kingzelbub.

After we signed up for Netflix and I finally got to see movies past and present and catch up with the cinema world, I started poking around the site and reading others' reviews on the titles I've seen thus far. I couldn't believe how pathetically plebeian many of them were. Things like giving Babette's Feast only 1 star because nothing ever happens for two hours! WTF! Like they were expecting f***ing Bruce Willis to suddenly drop down from an Apache and Uzi everyone to death and steal all the quails?

I just so wanted to post reviews on people's reviews and say: "Where the f*** were you born, the Philistines?!!"
Oh man, not like Babette's Feast??!!!?? Nothing happened? What's wrong with these people? It was funny, it was touching. I laughed, I cried, I desired turtle soup and caille en sarcophage for days.

And not liking black and white films -- no Casablanca, or It Happened One Night, Raging Bull, or Psycho? So very sad. Ah well, just means fewer "very long waits" for movies on Netflix for me .
Old 10-04-2005, 04:53 AM   #13
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Things like giving Babette's Feast only 1 star because nothing ever happens for two hours! WTF! Like they were expecting f***ing Bruce Willis to suddenly drop down from an Apache and Uzi everyone to death and steal all the quails?
Isn't that one of the deleted scenes in the Collector's Edition DVD?

Sriously, I like a good action flick when I just want to veg out but I do like something a bit more challenging when I've got the time for it. It's not just black and white that gets a pasting by the unintelligentsia as well. Foreign language films (I know for some people here Hollywood's output counts as that but I hope you understand what I mean) are up for flak too. There is a comment on Amelie (which I'd personally recommend) that complains it doesn't fit well into the romantic comedy genre (because you should be able to pigeon-hole all films obviously) and, rather bizarrely to my mind, that it's "striclly linear". Isn't that the way with most non-interactive stories?

ONe of my favourite films is "The Seventh Seal" Black and White and in a foreign (to most film-goers) language. It's doomed at the outset. I'll have to try and get hold of Babette's Feast though.

What do you reckon these reviewers would make of these toned down films from Something Awful?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #14
OUATIJ Creator

The less people know about Reba, the more I envy them.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #15
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

One of those people giving a bad review actually rated the DVD, and not the film itself. Apparently the person is a fan of the movie, but is pretty disappointed that the film on the DVD is not widescreen (they also mention that the background for the menu is a widescreen version of an early scene in the movie, and I have to agree, that *is* ironic.)

Also, the following review of Citizen Kane lets me think that the person was a bit...well, lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane review on Amazon.com
5 of 19 people found the following review helpful:
(1 of 5 Stars) soilent green is people! it's people! , February 19, 1999
Reviewer: A viewer
I don't understand this movie. WHy should we care if they're eating people? They're probably only the dregs of society anyway the bums and the welfare mothers. if they're not doing anything they might as well be eaten.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

On the other hand, the following review just makes me pity that person:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Review of Citizen Kane at Amazon
It was a confusing movie that had me bored!!!!!!, February 17, 1999
Reviewer: A viewer
What does rosebaud mean? Citizen Kane starts out with Charles Foster Kanb dieing at the bigining. Then is goes on with newsreels all about his life, like what he did. This movie is very confusing and hard to follow and understand.Charles Foster Kane does not know how to love, infact he gets married twice and does not love his wife he just wants somebody to love him. All he cares about is his newspaper buisness and nothing else. Kane dies a lonly and unmissed man. If i were to rate this movie it would be a 2! It is a very weird and confusing film!!!

I mean, I haven't even seen the movie, and I know the basic plot, and the meaning of Rosebud (and what it was).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 AM   #17

Old(er) movies and music is underrated in general. As are non-english films.
People give me weird looks when I say movies like 'Goodbye Lenin!' and 'Der Untergang' were good, and I live in Belgium. The same goes for when I tell people I enjoy listening to Wagner.

Most people are Philistines.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
There is a comment on Amelie (which I'd personally recommend) that complains it doesn't fit well into the romantic comedy genre (because you should be able to pigeon-hole all films obviously) and, rather bizarrely to my mind, that it's "striclly linear". Isn't that the way with most non-interactive stories?
So is Fahrenheit an adventure game, then?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-05-2005, 05:00 AM   #19
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
So is Fahrenheit an adventure game, then?
Since I haven't played it I can't say if it meets the precise and rigidly inflexible criteria we've set down for being acknowledged an adventure game.

Maybe it fits the genre "romantic comedy"
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-05-2005, 05:16 AM   #20
Banned User

Oh come on, Citizen Kane is all hype, and you're totally living in an internet pasttime if you are looking for reviews that disagree with you so you can make some ridiculous statement against it. The dialogue in that movie is atrocious and the story is boring. EX: When the main character does hand puppets, the floozy he's talking to responds with, "Oh I bet it's a giraffe!"

And then SamnMax comes to polish his ignorance by bringing Batman into the discussion, the sellout movie for angsty white Americans. A liscense for a liscense. Ugh.

I wonder how big Orson Welles dick was...