You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Why can't we be more like Finland?"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 06:51 AM   #41
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I can agree that from a pure acting point of view V-M Loiri is indeed gifted, but I've never liked Uuno Turhapuro and I think it's (excuse my language) the biggest shit ever to have come from our country. But I guess I'm not Finnish enough to understand it, because I don't think I know one Finland-Swede who actually likes Turhapuro.
Yeah, Uuno is kind of "junttihuumoria".
Most of the movies are bad, but there are couple of good ones that I laugh when I see them.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 AM   #42
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
There, there. You know I didn't mean it hon. Here have some pai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptimist
Helsingki?
Didn't you hear? They changed the name a couple of months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormstud
I don't like Uuno Turhapuro either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe
Me neither..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptimist
Me neither...
Either the Finns here aren't as Finnish as they first thought (according to my first theory).... or it's just people from Vasa who likes Uuno Turhapuro.*

*Kolzig is gonna kill me.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #43
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Helsingki?
Hey, I just spelled it like one of the locals did. Orbitz knew where I was talking about, so I assumed that was correct. I did look at Vaasa first, though.

Quote:
It kinda depends what you want to see, the northern Finland is quite different from the southern. However, I would have to say that you don't do the thing that some do and just stick on the main roads and stuff, you can't see anything from just freeways...
A good local map, and hopefully a good local, are one's best friends when travelling.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #44
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Yeah, Uuno is kind of "junttihuumoria".
Most of the movies are bad, but there are couple of good ones that I laugh when I see them.
We have similar comedians here, many of whom you've probably heard of, including Harold Lloyd (mostly silent films, but a few "talkies"), the Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges (only the films with Curly in them are funny, though), and even Jim Carrey. Silly, but really funny if you're in the right mood.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #45
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
Yoy forgot me sweetie!
I'm sorry! How could I forget you?

Lynsie
Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #46
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
*Kolzig is gonna kill me.
You can bet on that.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #47
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
We have similar comedians here, many of whom you've probably heard of, including Harold Lloyd (mostly silent films, but a few "talkies"), the Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges (only the films with Curly in them are funny, though), and even Jim Carrey. Silly, but really funny if you're in the right mood.
Hmm, not really. "Juntti" is a sort of obnoxious idiot who's from the countryside, dresses badly, is dirty, misogynistic and drinks, but in the movies Uuno is a real hero. And I find it disgusting that so many Finnish men relate to him. Bleargh.

Last edited by Wormsie; 09-27-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #48
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Hmm, not really. "Juntti" is a sort of obnoxious idiot who's from the countryside, dresses badly, is dirty, misogynistic and drinks, but in the movies Uuno is a real hero. And I find it disgusting that so many Finnish men relate to him. Bleargh.
Ah. Sort of like a cross between "Pa Kettle" (a character in the "Ma And Pa Kettle" series of movies from the 1940s) and "Larry the Cable Guy" (a current comedian who affects a very rural and Southern character in his act), then?
I know the type. The same Australian comedian who does the "Dame Edna" character also used to do a character who was a rural politician from Tasmania. He's the one who first compared a map of Tasmania to, well, you know. Incredibly crude, but very funny as well.
As I'm pretty crude myself, of course this sort of humor appeals to me.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #49
capsized.

...plus, Finnish bands are fu%kin' nuts! From Waltari to Amorphis, who performed a Death Metal opera in '95 or something. Saw it on TV. All kinds of people sitting there on their comfy chairs listening to an orchestra and a couple of guys torturing their guitars. And don't get me started on Eläkeläiset.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 AM   #50
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I'm sorry! How could I forget you?

Lynsie
No problem!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #51
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
...plus, Finnish bands are fu%kin' nuts! From Waltari to Amorphis, who performed a Death Metal opera in '95 or something. Saw it on TV. All kinds of people sitting there on their comfy chairs listening to an orchestra and a couple of guys torturing their guitars. And don't get me started on Eläkeläiset.
Amorphis rules! "Tales From The Thousand Lakes" is one of the best albums ever IMO. Eläkeläiset is fun too.