You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Rolling Stone's 500 Best Albums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2003, 06:41 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Wow, those guys sure didn't look old. Are you still singing in that band, or were you just filling in for the real singer?
Yeah...that drummer is still in school. But these guys have real talent and real passion for music unlike most bands here.They may be inexperienced but they're talented nonetheless.
The guy who formed the band is a good friend of mine and went to school with me.He lives a couple of blocks from where I live.And I occasionally dropped in when these guys were practising.Sometimes I would request them to play a song and they would comply.They were having trouble finding a singer at the time.So as the guys played the song..I just had to sing along.They must've felt that I was pretty good and I was invited to join the band.But I ditched them a year and a half later.

So...I was the original singer.I'm not in the band anymore.I'm not in that pic either.

BTW Are you in a band perchance...?

Last edited by mycroft; 11-30-2003 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:36 AM   #62
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
So...I was the original singer.I'm not in the band anymore.I'm not in that pic either.

BTW Are [i]you[i/] in a band perchance...?
Damn, I thought I could spot you in that pic.

I use to play guitar (and sometimes bass) in a band, but that was some time ago. Most of the other guys weren't very serious (they just played in a band to get girls and back then it was all it took ).

The other guitarist we had besides me (he played the lead guitar) was extremely talented. But the singer we had was one hell of a guy. He sang so bad that you almost played wrong just because of that (and he went to classes in order to practise his voice but he didn't really practise at all). The others forced me to sing on a few (to many) occasions and let me tell you, I wouldn't bet my stereo on the fact that I overall sang any better then the other guy. My voice is also alot more fucked up these days compared to the other vocalist due to the fact that he learned to practise his (crappy) voice in class so he managed to do the growl songs with his (still crappy) voice in one piece. Mine went totally down the drain.

We played for the whole school once and I couldn't belive that they basicly dragged me to the microphone on the last song (I had basicly only sang the song on a few rehersals). It was an old swedish punksong, which technicly is extremely easy and everybody knows how it goes around here (it's called Ebba Grön - Staten och kapitalen, try to download it if you can find it). I managed to sing it in two different (false)tones that didn't sound totally crap and I also managed to keep myself between those the entire song. But in the end, the guy who usually sings was forced the sing along with me (the song sort of calls for it but we hadn't really done it that way seriously at rehersal). Believe me when I say to you now, that really sounded horrible!!!! Try listen to the original song and you should be able to understand why. That last part is really hard to sing if you're completely tonedeaf (or however you express it in english). But I guess the most funny thing was how suprised and insecure I must have sounded inbetween his "back up singing".

Last edited by Henke; 11-30-2003 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:28 AM   #63
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard09
Like I said, people can get riled up over music, so I'll try to avoid the pedestal

While I actually agree with your comment, I think I dislike rap for more cultural/sociological reasons than from sheer spite over its music. A lot of it stems from my experiences in high school, where saying you liked music such as showtunes or jazz would get you a response like, "What the hell are you talking about? You never heard of Jay Z? He's piz'imp, MAN! You got to be some kind of fruit or something..."

If you can give me an original, unsampled rap album from an artist unpretentious about his own "music," I'd love to give that specific artist a shot. But as a genre I still despise the image-based marketing mechanic that rap music today has spawned. And, no, I'm not ignorant to the same trend in pop.

Hopefully I didn't make anyone too mad
As Tamara pointed out, you make more sense now. Of course people will have their preferences of what they like and dislike. There's a lot of good rap/hip hop out there, but you'll have to look. The "image based marketing mechanic" is the stuff you get shoved in your face from all the media, you'll have to dig deeper than that (I don't say that you haven't). I particularily like bands that play their material live, at least when performing, although I don't mind sampling if it's good.

Check out The Roots Things Fall Apart. Listen to A Tribe Called Quest, very jazzy, unpretentious hip hop. Also, try Common (he's even playing at jazz festivals), he's great. And since someone mentioned Del tha Funkee Homosapien, listen to the Deltron 3030 album, specifically the song 3030. Just because it's so freakin' good.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Damn, I thought I could spot you in that pic.
Yeah right...how would you have recognized me...by the eye ?
Quote:
I use to play guitar (and sometimes bass) in a band, but that was some time ago. Most of the other guys weren't very serious (they just played in a band to get girls and back then it was all it took ).
People are the same everywhere I see.
Quote:
The other guitarist we had besides me (he played the lead guitar) was extremely talented. But the singer we had was one hell of a guy. He sang so bad that you almost played wrong just because of that (and he went to classes in order to practise his voice but he didn't really practise at all). The others forced me to sing on a few (to many) occasions and let me tell you, I wouldn't bet my stereo on the fact that I overall sang any better then the other guy.
My voice is also alot more fucked up these days compared to the other vocalist due to the fact that he learned to practise his (crappy) voice in class so he managed to do the growl songs with his (still crappy) voice in one piece. Mine went totally down the drain.

We played for the whole school once and I couldn't belive that they basicly dragged me to the microphone on the last song (I had basicly only sang the song on a few rehersals). It was an old swedish punksong, which technicly is extremely easy and everybody knows how it goes around here (it's called Ebba Grön - Staten och kapitalen, try to download it if you can find it). I managed to sing it in two different (false)tones that didn't sound totally crap and I also managed to keep myself between those the entire song. But in the end, the guy who usually sings was forced the sing along with me (the song sort of calls for it but we hadn't really done it that way seriously at rehersal). Believe me when I say to you now, that really sounded horrible!!!! Try listen to the original song and you should be able to understand why. That last part is really hard to sing if you're completely tonedeaf (or however you express it in english). But I guess the most funny thing was how suprised and insecure I must have sounded inbetween his "back up singing".
Ha ha.Yeah I'm trying to imagine what it must've been like and it sounds hilarious.
I had a similar incident with my band.But it was the result of my lack of self-confidence and stage fright.

We were supposed to play in a pub a couple of years ago.It was our first major break.We had heard that it was a rowdy place...so we walked in with a 'don't mess with me' attitude.Some of us were randomly cursing as well.They had never been to a pub before..you know how young they look.These guys were a bit afraid.

So ..the first song we did was Tornado of Souls by Megadeth.And I jumped on to the stage with some attitude...only to realize that the first and second row had some of the prettiest ladies I have ever seen.Beautiful and charming.They could've been fashion models or something.And the rowdy bunch was nowhere to be seen.Now I could handle the rowdy bunch...but 20 or 30 beautiful women staring at me and watching my every move ?

I had a sudden attack of inferiority complex.And I began to fall behind in the song...the girls were all smiling at me...at my errors.My voice was still strong and it managed to rise above the cacophony of the guitars...but I kept looking at the girls and slipping my lines.We had rehearsed so properly,but I never considered myself to be a victim of stage fright.Well anyway...we later decided to do some acoustic and mushy stuff for the girls rather than Slayer and Metallica.They threw me in the background playing acoustic guitar while another guy sang.

Am I pathetic or what ?

Old 11-30-2003, 04:58 PM   #65
Banned User

If you want some exceptional rap music, I would also try most of the Beastie Boys albums, since they can play their own instruments and started out with hardcore punk. THere's a wide variety in the tunes they can do, and they don't shy from instrumentals. Only that one with Fight for your Right to Party may be counted inept, but I think the album Licensed to Ill is a big joke and should be laughed at for it. "I stole your girlfriend like I stole your bike." I mean it's great if you've got a hokey sense of humor. They stopped sampling so much after their second rap CD (really their third album) and while they still do it, they are very much independent in making their own beats and sounds. I really only think some people might have a problem with their goofy lyrics.

And maybe another good rap artist may be Buck 65, but he can only scratch and is made of samples. His lyrics are nice though. It's a bit more artistic, almost on the pretentious side, but nice.

I really don't think it's fair to call all rap music a product of unoriginal stylings and tail chasing. I mean it gets a bad rap (get it?) for what sells in the mainstream with it's suburban gangsterism and all and the whole premise to how sampling is wrong. But it's music. I think sampling and record piecing is just as innovative as the synthetic beats of some electronic bands. (But if you think making music electronically is also unacceptable, then I am at a loss of what to say in support.) Hunting and gathering. There is a technique in anything.

If one looks hard enough and opens their mind a bit more, maybe rap music won't seem as empty as it usually is.

Also included in the rap music I think everyone should avoid is this new premise of "Emo rap" where white college boys make awful underground hip hop with bad gothic poetry and talk of their honesty. It's a thing for kids with online journals, I wouldn't know.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:12 AM   #66
Headbanger

Quote:
We were supposed to play in a pub a couple of years ago.It was our first major break.We had heard that it was a rowdy place...so we walked in with a 'don't mess with me' attitude.Some of us were randomly cursing as well.They had never been to a pub before..you know how young they look.These guys were a bit afraid.

So ..the first song we did was Tornado of Souls by Megadeth.And I jumped on to the stage with some attitude...only to realize that the first and second row had some of the prettiest ladies I have ever seen.Beautiful and charming.They could've been fashion models or something.And the rowdy bunch was nowhere to be seen.Now I could handle the rowdy bunch...but 20 or 30 beautiful women staring at me and watching my every move ?

I had a sudden attack of inferiority complex.And I began to fall behind in the song...the girls were all smiling at me...at my errors.My voice was still strong and it managed to rise above the cacophony of the guitars...but I kept looking at the girls and slipping my lines.We had rehearsed so properly,but I never considered myself to be a victim of stage fright.Well anyway...we later decided to do some acoustic and mushy stuff for the girls rather than Slayer and Metallica.They threw me in the background playing acoustic guitar while another guy sang.

Am I pathetic or what ?
I know exactly how you must have felt. The absolute worst thing that can happen when you're performing is that there are cute girls in the audience.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #67
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
I know exactly how you must have felt. The absolute worst thing that can happen when you're performing is that there are cute girls in the audience.
I always circumvented this just by not really looking at the audience. It worked surprisingly well... (though I'm sure I'm not as engaging a performer as a result)

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I always circumvented this just by not really looking at the audience. It worked surprisingly well... (though I'm sure I'm not as engaging a performer as a result)

Err..whatever happened to imagining the audience in their underwear ?
That's what I did.
It might just have been the source of the problem though.

Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #69

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
That's what I did.

Yeah, I'd think that imagining already-hot girls in considerably less clothing would probably hurt more than it would help in this case...

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 12-04-2003, 06:02 AM   #70
Headbanger

Quote:
That's what I did.
Well thank the gods that you didn't picture them without any clothes at all. Then it would have been REALLY difficult to stay focused.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 AM   #71

Quote:
Well thank the gods that you didn't picture them without any clothes at all. Then it would have been REALLY difficult to stay focused.
Err..um...*cough*.

I don't know how to say this.*

What mycroft is really trying to say,is that he has a dirtier mind than you anticipated.Hence ,not only did he picture them in the buff...

Old 12-04-2003, 07:50 AM   #72

Quote:
Err..um...*cough*.

I don't know how to say this.*

What mycroft is really trying to say,is that he has a dirtier mind than you anticipated.Hence ,not only did he picture them in the buff...

You anticipated them...WITHOUT SKIN!!!!!111

What, that's not what you meant?

Old 12-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
You anticipated them...WITHOUT SKIN!!!!!111

What, that's not what you meant?

Er...yeah.That's exactly what I meant.