You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Default Snakes of Avalon RELEASED!

Finally we got to this point.

If you're not sure what this is...

A video from the beginning can be seen here

A bunch of screenshots can be find here here

an early trailer here

And DOWNLOAD the full game HERE.

We'll be most grateful to anyone who shares with us his impressions from visiting the Snakes of Avalon reality.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-18-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

Glad you made it in the end (presumably your hardware issues are sorted). Downloading now and I look forward to trying it out.

The game website (as per your signature) still shows it as available early next week. Are you planning to put a download link on there at some point?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
Dungeon Master

I'm gonna have to try it just for the visual Vertigo reference alone.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Everyone, check out my and Alex's exciting interview about Snakes of Avalon on CaptainD's games blog:

http://captaind-pc-gaming.blogspot.c...ed-agsers.html

More interesting coverage coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
The game website (as per your signature) still shows it as available early next week. Are you planning to put a download link on there at some point?
It's there now. The release post didn't appear instantly because I released the game in the middle of the night, posted about it here on AG and on AGS forums and then gone to sleep.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
It's there now. The release post didn't appear instantly because I released the game in the middle of the night, posted about it here on AG and on AGS forums and then gone to sleep.
Sleep before games. Where are your priorities?

Cold Topic

Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Making games is the priority of course.

But I'd be most glad to see more opinions from people who finished the game.

In case someone finds the game's puzzles difficult, here's a proper walkthrough through them all: http://gamesolutions.efzeven.nl/snak...gor-hardy2010/

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-21-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #7

Well you've probably heard my ramblings elsewhere Ascovel, but to summise what I've said elsewhere it was truly an original take on narrative compared to most other games, adventure or otherwise. I would most definately recommend it to anyone interested in giving it a go , you won't be disappointed.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

I've played through as far as moving the pool table (actually moved it) and I like it, though I also find it quite disturbing. Definitely a different experience from most games, but in a good way for anyone willing to step away from the mainstream. I don't think you'd ever see a commercial release with this as the central theme.

Cold Topic

Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
I've played through as far as moving the pool table (actually moved it) and I like it, though I also find it quite disturbing.
Interesting that you already find it disturbing, you took the break from playing right at the point when act1 was starting and where the actual game begins.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #10

I think I understand stepurhan's sentiment of disturbing before the guts of the game begins, in the sense that straight from the start the animation, music, and dialogue from the opening really have a surreal sense of reality but a kind of unreality at the same time. Ehhh... that probably makes no sense to anyone but myself

I suppose what I mean is that there's something recognisable straight away in the world and the atmosphere, but because it's so stylised there's a strange notion of relating to the world but being seperate from it at the same time. I think that part of it that you recognise and feel related to is what's disturbing, because it's somewhat confronting.

Ok I'm still not making much sense so I'll just shutup now. I only ramble because I love the game. and the more I get to think back on it the more I appreciate it.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I think I understand stepurhan's sentiment of disturbing before the guts of the game begins, in the sense that straight from the start the animation, music, and dialogue from the opening really have a surreal sense of reality but a kind of unreality at the same time. Ehhh... that probably makes no sense to anyone but myself

I suppose what I mean is that there's something recognisable straight away in the world and the atmosphere, but because it's so stylised there's a strange notion of relating to the world but being seperate from it at the same time. I think that part of it that you recognise and feel related to is what's disturbing, because it's somewhat confronting.

Ok I'm still not making much sense so I'll just shutup now. I only ramble because I love the game. and the more I get to think back on it the more I appreciate it.
Wow, it's very flattering that you found the game this affecting.

We definitely did want to make the bar feel as real and physical as we could within the limitations of the chosen style (which was a challenge). To me the surreal and dreamlike bits have a much greater impact if the player can sense a mundane, crude reality underneath the skewed perceptions.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Interesting that you already find it disturbing, you took the break from playing right at the point when act1 was starting and where the actual game begins.
Well, he does have a conversation with something not normally known for its linguistic skills in this opening section. Not to mention what has happened to his wallet.

I've now played as far as Act 2 and the atmosphere is maintained well. Definitely one I will be seeing through to the end. A quality piece of work all round from what I have seen so far.

Cold Topic

Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The game has now been updated to version 2.01!

It fixes a bunch of very minor problems, but also a rather annoying bug in Act III which could get triggered if you did things in a specific order.

You can download it using the same link as before.

Should work with old saves.

Another matter entirely, but I'm pleased to say Snakes of Avalon got picked as the freeware pick at the IndieGames.com blog, it got featured on GameJolt, and appeared in the news at DIYGamer, as well as is gathering all sorts of favorable opinions.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-25-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Freeware Co-ordinator

The Bar..........I said The Bar.

Not hard to tell which side you favour on with the old Lucasarts/Sierra debate. I've now finished it (in-between checking out other new releases) and it's a good piece of work. I can't believe the person voicing Jack actually allowed their name to get into the credits though. (I make a convincing drunk isn't a plus for most careers. )

Cold Topic

Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
The Bar..........I said The Bar.

Not hard to tell which side you favour on with the old Lucasarts/Sierra debate. I've now finished it (in-between checking out other new releases) and it's a good piece of work.
Thanks. I hope it was a memorable and a bit different kind of experience.

LucasArts is indeed the side I favor a bit more. Though I prefer the first 2 Gabriel Knight games to any of LucasArts adventures, except for Grim Fandango.

Quote:
I can't believe the person voicing Jack actually allowed their name to get into the credits though. (I make a convincing drunk isn't a plus for most careers. )
You'd better believe it. You have no idea what kind of fully-voiced game Drew himself has recently made.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-25-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Snakes of Avalon is one of 6 recommended freeware games released in September at PC Gamer!

Right next to King's Quest: The Silver Lining Ep2!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/28/se...st-free-games/

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-29-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
Freeware Co-ordinator

Yes, but have you received plaudits from Family Friendly Gaming yet? (For that matter, has Drew?)

Cold Topic

Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Well, I assume the plaudits will come in the end. Because what element of the game could Family Friendly Gaming deem controversial?

Our game features no bad language, no on-screen violence, no on-screen human agony, no on-screen sex, and it's all about families and how the relationships of adults affect the children.

We might even make a version with those red stains repainted green. For now let's just say it was ketchup. Really, there's no proof it isn't.

Oh, and we got a nice, exhaustive review here: http://www.wingdamage.com/review-snakes-of-avalon/
Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Another Snake of Avalon interview conducted with both me and Alex van der Wijst by Cultural Zest.

Thomas Regin, our composer, makes a guest appearance too.

And there's actually also a third one, in Polish, and with the guest (visual) appearance of my cat. Conducted by Adventure Zone.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #20
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

A new review of Snakes showed up on Gnome's Lair:

http://www.gnomeslair.com/2010/10/snakes-of-avalon.html

Also, to everyone who already played and enjoyed our game, I strongly recommend trying out the excellent earlier games by Alex van der Wijst:

Charlie Foxtrot and The Galaxy of Tomorrow
The Winter Rose (my personal favorite)
BESIEGED (a collaboration with yarooze)

And you can also count on some new titles from me appearing in the future. Especially Frantic Franko.