You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

Default HiddenDay.com testers needed

Hey all,

Just made a flash-based adventure game/portfolio web-site www.HiddenDay.com and would love to get your opinions.

Planning to make a full adventure game in Flash, so I was trying to push the limits of what Flash can do... I'm afraid this may make it a bit jerky on older computers, but can't test that theory since mine is too new.

Let me know what kind of machine you are running this on, and if it's jerky on your pc... esp. after clicking the Day/Night switch.

Please let me know of any obvious bugs/issues you find when trying to beat the game (by winning the little creature's trust). Give me the winning code, and I'll post your success permanently on the High Score wall.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice/bug finds/flames, etc.
Jon
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

Default artwork from site

This is the artwork from my site/game... to help you decide if you want to check it out or not.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Looks nice. You using lassie?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #4

Not sure what lassie is... basically I've coded everything in Flash ActionScript, artwork done primarily in Photoshop, Flash, and 3DS max (version 3.0 haha).
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #5

Default Bit jerky for me

Even before hitting day/night switch, there is definite pain with trying to play it on my Acer Aspire One (1.6Ghz, 1GB, XP Home).
Old 04-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #6

Thanks lefticus, and interesting site that you have as well. So far, it seems that it's jerky on anything less than a dual-core pc. Worst performance I saw was on my parents Mac. Seems that flash may not be the perfect platform for me to develop the full game in.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #7

Thought I should explain the hiddenday game.

This whole idea came from my experience of meeting my wife's family and friends in China. I really thought I understood what makes Chinese tick, but learned pretty quick that it's best just to keep my mouth shut and pay attention to what's normal for them, and what they expect is normal for me.

So I decided to create this web-site to give people the same experience. Basically, your job is to befriend the creature (creatures?) and win their trust. However, you have absolutely no idea what they expect from you, other than the journal entries of a guy who obviously lost their trust at some point.

So, maybe it's not so much an adventure game as it is a cultural experiment? Can you figure out what makes the little creature tick?

Thanks again for everyone's input.