You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Adult campy horror spoof graphic adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Default Adult campy horror spoof graphic adventure game

Growing up I had two favorite pastimes: playing graphic adventure games and watching horror movies.

I've always wanted to write and create one of both, so I decided to fuse them both together and create a graphic adventure game that spoofs the kind of horror/slasher B-movies which continue to be so popular. Though I'm creating this primarily for my own amusement and entertainment, I do see myself publishing it for Windows and ipod when it's finished (that's what it's being developed to play on), for whatever that's worth. I think it'll definitely be something nobody's quite seen before, and probably cross more than a few lines, but I'm having a great deal of fun making it.

The title of the game is "Nudist Resort Massacre", which alone might conjure up some of the mayhem you can expect to find there. I only hope people will take this in the humorous spirit of which it's being made, and not freak out with moral indignation. Though there will be plenty of stuff for those types to freak out about...

The structure of the game will be similar to Myst, with digital ray-traced artwork for locations, video and animation, puzzle-solving, and animated CG characters.

I would like to invite anyone to take a look at it as a work-in-progress, as I plan on using my blog as a development journal as I finish it scene by scene, and would be appreciative of any feedback and comments between here and my blog. But be warned, the stuff on my blog is for MATURE audiences, so like many games and movies these days it's definately R-Rated, and not meant for children.

Thanks for checking this out, I've been an adventure gamer all my life, but this is my first foray into attempting to design one of my own, and I look forward to seeing what others in the community are doing.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Old lady who loves games

Hey Dustin

Just checked out your pics, you're graphics are pretty amazing. Is this game a free game or commercial. Looking forward to playing it. Good luck with your project.

http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/
Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

Hello StarLite,

Thanks for looking, I'm undecided of whether the game will be free or commercial yet for Windows. I know I'm going to port it to ipod touch and sell it for $1 or something like that. I may implement a similar model with Windows and offer a free download as a demo.

It will depend on how much time and work I invest in it. I think when I'm done with it it will at least hold up to, if not surpass, a lot of commercially published games out there, so I think gamers will get a lot of value for a buck or so.

Admittedly it's not for everyone, but for people who want something edgier that's never been done before, it may be a good choice.

I actually believe it may appeal to people who aren't that familiar with graphic adventure games, a lot of gamer friends of mine have always been turned off by the Disney-like graphics and story lines many of them have. This offers one alternative which might draw more people into the fold.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #4

Default A few screenshots for my upcoming GRAPHIC, graphic adventure

I've been working on the player's GUI interface and the overall visual style of the game, and decided to go with a horror comic-book/graphic novel theme, which lends itself well to the campy nature of this project, here's a few screenshots...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #5

Nice, what engine are you using to make this?
Click Here to view screenshots
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkeng View Post
Nice, what engine are you using to make this?
Hello, I'm using Adventure Maker to create this game with. It's by far the easiest and most versatile game maker I've come across. If you're not into scripting and coding, and all the other advanced features of the bigger engines out there, it's well worth checking out. And it can do pretty much everything you need for a regular adventure game anyway.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinNaef View Post
Hello, I'm using Adventure Maker to create this game with. It's by far the easiest and most versatile game maker I've come across. If you're not into scripting and coding, and all the other advanced features of the bigger engines out there, it's well worth checking out. And it can do pretty much everything you need for a regular adventure game anyway.
Oh thanks have you got a download link?

edit: got one, I'll update after checkin it out thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #8

Nice program but seems a little basic as my project is quite large.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Default Flashback sequence screenshot

In every slasher movie the killer had a twisted childhood, so I've been devising an in-game flashback scene which will reveal something about how the killer became so deranged and ostracized. In the this game, the killers strictly religious mother made him go down to the resort and picket the nudists when he was a little kid. Here's a screenshot:

Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #10

Default *new* updated screenshots

I decided to develop this as a third-person graphic adventure game, though it will still return the look of a horror-comic in a lot of ways. Here's an updated screenshot, I'm well on my way in creating all the animated sprites for the player character, who sort of looks like a Mexican Wrestler wearing a hood sewn out of human skin...
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #11

good decision, 3rd person is always better imo
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Skeng View Post
good decision, 3rd person is always better imo
Thanks, before I was developing it for a different platform so third-person wasn't an option, but I agree.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #13

LOL How drunk were you when brainstorming this game? Never seen anything as insane. I love it
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Schillinger View Post
LOL How drunk were you when brainstorming this game? Never seen anything as insane. I love it
LOL, not drunk at all, I just thought it would be funny to do a spoof of a slasher-horror movie, and pull out all the stops. You've haven't seen nothing yet.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #15

Default New screenshots (composite)

For those of you who may be making your own adventure games, and have some knowledge of 3D modeling applications, a fairly good way to do backgrounds, short of drawing and painting them by hand, is compositing your buildings and models onto an actual photograph. This is another screenshot from my game, I had to find a huge parking lot (this picture is near a boat dock by a lake, actually,) where I could place my virtual motel. This is one of many pictures I took over the weekend for game backgrounds.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #16

Default One small leap...

This morning my game made a small but not insignificant leap from static screenshots to becoming a fully animated game. I did my first test animatic character to work out the bugs of embedding a looping animation into the game world, which the player can interact with. It worked seamlessly and I couldn't be more pleased. I know a lot of you are following my updates on my blog because I can't post everything here, but if you want to see an animated version of one of the game screens go check it out...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #17

Glad to hear that you´re making progress !

Looking forward to playing your game

keep it goin´ !
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Glad to hear that you´re making progress !

Looking forward to playing your game

keep it goin´ !
Hey thanks for the encouragement, always appreciated! I hope to release the game in multiple episodes when I get enough of it done, rather than trying to finish the entire game before offering it up.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #19

Default Looking for writers to help with creating puzzles?

Okay, the game works in every way so far, I just tested it out this morning. Now all I need to do is fill it with puzzles, locations, and characters (many which I already have scripted out). Any writers out there who might be interested in helping brainstorming and creating some puzzles? This isn't a commercial project I'm just doing it in my spare time for my own entertainment, so there's nothing to be gained financially (but maybe there's some infamy to be won?). But remember this is an adult, R-Rated game, definitely not for children. Even though its a comedy/spoof, there's going to be nudity, sex, profanity, and graphic violence in it, just like you'd see in any R-Rated horror or comedy movie. So if you find that objectionable this probably isn't from you. I'm a little rusty when it comes to trying to think up fun and challenging puzzle situations, so if anyone out there would like to participate get a hold of me here or on my blog. Thanks! And more updates coming soon...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #20

Default First look at live gameplay!

This is the first look at an in-game screenshot that actually works. I posted a video demo on my blog, nothing spectacular, but it's looking more and more like an animated graphic adventure game.