You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Cognitive Dissonant

Default LassieAS

Just curiuos as to how everyone feels about LASSIEAS - or if you haven't seen it, check it out and let me know what you think. I came across it after playing WMYT and I loved the fact that you don't have to be a coder (or much of one), as I'm more graphic design/writing intensive.

I've played around with AGS, came to like Wintermute (but intimidated by scripting), but there's something I like about this editor/engine - thoughts?

Addition: I should say the primary difference is in the use of Flash in LASSIEAS- as it relies only on the use of fla or swf files. At this point, I don't know if that makes it easier or harder- to someone who has never used flash before.

Last edited by Tom_K; 11-28-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Don't you need a copy of the multi-hundred-quid Flash itself to be able to use it? That's why I haven't tried.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSH View Post
Don't you need a copy of the multi-hundred-quid Flash itself to be able to use it? That's why I haven't tried.
Yes, I believe you are correct. My company just purchased Flash CS3 about the time I happened upon LASSIEAS, so I never really thought about that particular barrier - but you're right; that might prevent some from using it.

Anybody have any thoughts on the pros/cons of using a Flash based system as opposed to other studios?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
JKR

I have some experience in Flash. I've run FredtheMonkey.com for the past 4 years. Or is it 5 now? Oh heck, I can't remember anymore. The point is, I know a thing or two about the program (and how expensive it was for me to buy, ouch).

Flash is a great system, and for many things it excels. That said, I would see some major issues for making adventure games with it. Nothing too specific, but just based on what I've come to know of the program. However don't take that to mean you CAN'T, because I've seen some AMAZING games done in Flash. I don't know too much about Lassieas, so I can't speak there, just for the program itself. Flash is great, and if you have the engine to work with you could certainly make adventure games, but it would be hard to do from scratch, that's for sure. Really hard.

Also you can download a 30 day trial of the program from the website, so it isn't a "must buy" thing if you familiarize yourself with it and are spending the time to do a project in 30 days. Difficult but not impossible. Since I was going to be basing my career on it, I bought a copy many years back. (I should upgrade to the new version soon, but sadly no money. FtM.com doesn't make me anything currently...)
Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
I have some experience in Flash....I don't know too much about Lassieas, so I can't speak there...
Hey JKR! Thanks for the input! Why don't you download (from my link above) LASSIEAS and check it out? It's freeware. I would truly be interested in your impression of this program based on your knowledge of Flash.

You know, it's just so hard to know which is the best way to go, when creating an adventure game. I guess the thing I like about Flash is the animation possibilities; animation (wheat moving in the wind, water, lantern lighting, clouds, etc) seems so very fluid in Flash, so very well put together. Animation, at least to me, is what really brings an adventure game to life, and creates the right atmosphere for the escapism (or buy-in) that I like so well.

I guess my overall impression is that Flash is a little easier to animate with than say, writing code to animate a sprite or item - I'd love to be disproved, or proven correct - because I'm really just spitballing.

I want to create an adventure - with obviously the easiest engine out there.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
JKR

Well don't forget easiest doesn't always equal BEST. But I understand what you mean.

I can try to download the program a little later, but I'm pretty busy during work with actual work (and the whole "neglecting work to post here and on the Fred boards ) to learn a whole new program. I'll let you know as soon as I check it out.

As for animation in Flash, to be honest it's only as good as the animator. You can do incredible things in Flash, yes, but if you don't know how to animate very well, someone could use MS Paint and manage to make something even better. They're all just tools. What Flash DOES do is make it so much less painful to animate things, because of tweening (basically it fills in the frames between point a and b for you) and the timeline setup. If you know nothing of Flash, this could help a little bit. I never finished it (really should) but it will start you off.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
.. If you know nothing of Flash, this could help a little bit. I never finished it (really should) but it will start you off.
Excellent! Thanks! Yes, I am at work *ahem* too - but hey, we're all entitled to a break now and again...and again...and again...

Thanks again, I appreciate your input!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #8

Hi Tom,

I thought I would add my grain of salt to the thread since this is what I do: making small flash games for the internet (see http://johnnybdesign.com/games.html ).

As you said, Flash is highly powerful because you can animate, draw and code in it. Flash handles movies, buttons, graphics etc. perfectly. Because you start from a blank page/timeframe, it is malleable. The possibilities are endless. If you are actionscript-savvy, sky is the limit!!! You can easily make RPG's, action games, adventure games, etc.

Other advantages include:
1) its ability to handle vector art,
2) the possibility of displaying your work in a browser. You reach your audience easily, no files to install, Flash player is widely spread, works on Mac and PC.
3) Flash is great with sounds.
4) You can edit everything in Flash from transparency to tweening etc.

The major limitation of Flash comes with his poor 3D compatibility.

However, I have to raise caution about another inconvenient that I have experienced with my games: Flash files can be downloaded, decompiled, stolen, altered, stripped of anti-theft codes, re-posted by malicious people on the internet.
That is unlikely to happen with other 3rd party specialized softwares such as wintermute and the others cuz they are not as spead as Flash is. I doubt that people are reverse-engineering them to steal artwork.

Last edited by JohnnyB; 11-29-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Cognitive Dissonant

Hey JohnnyB! Funny, I checked out your website and played one of your games before you even posted here (yesterday) - really like the noir feel and your color contrasts and easy navigation - way cool.

It's a tough decision- I want to learn to animate, and my time is so limited that I have (and I mean have) to make the right decision; Flash or 3D. I really like 2d (or what they call 2.5D), and I love the idea of fairly easy animation in Flash - but I'm also piqued about programs like 3DStuido Max or Maya (cost prohibitive to OWN, but certainly not learn). In the end, I want to pick something that may lead to a career, but also has won my heart as a hobbie, you know? It's tough.

Thanks for your input- both you and JKR- now back to checking out your websites!

Tom
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #10

ok.

I would not take my games as a good example of what Flash can do though. Flash can do much more:

-You can easily code a full inventory system (which my games lack).
-You can also make 3rd person game (mine are first person).
-You can code complex games like board games, platformers, etc.
-Flash is also great at A.I. which remains unexplored in adventure games. I would totally dig more complex NPC behavior in games.

Really, in my case, it is lack of time. Often, I will open Flash and work on a game for 15 minutes.... and maybe won't look at it for a week. So that makes it difficult to code complex games cuz I don't remember what variable controls what... or what I had in mind when I wrote this piece of code.

Quote:
In the end, I want to pick something that may lead to a career, but also has won my heart as a hobbie, you know?
Well... it depends what type of career you are aiming for. Is it game designer, producer, level designer, art director, programmer, 3d artist...

Knowing 3D is a highly desirable skill but may lead you to an artist job... and it doesn't give you a game (taken alone as a hobby). You'll need another software for the game.

Knowing Flash may give you a game if you invest some time in it... (and if you are decent at drawing) but won't be usefull if you are seeking a job in the video game industry cuz they don't work with Flash.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
Cognitive Dissonant

I mispoke, actually - I have a career as a graphic designer already. If my dream job were translated to an MS Project flow chart, at the top would be Animator, followed by Adventure Game Designer. I feel I must learn to do one, first, to make the other possible.

I have decided to put my nose to the grindstone and learn Flash's capabilities. If I later want to delve into the world of 3D, alls the better for having learned to animate in 2D. Part of what makes this decision easy is my access to Flash, as opposed to anything else, and I really want to try out LASSIAS.

I'm curious, does a flash game always have to have an .swf extension; can it be converted into an executable?

Thanks again for the input - it's helped me a lot!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #12

Yup. You can publish Flash projects into an array of formats, including the executable .exe for windows and whatever it is for Mac.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #13

Howdy! I'm making my game, Nearly Departed in LassieAS, and I'm having a blast with it.

The demo (link at my site) was made in what's now called LassieLegacy, and that's a bit different than the now all-Flash version of the Lassie engine. The demo has a Mac or PC version, whereas the final game (which yes, I'm still working on!) will be playable on any platform.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that you don't actually need Flash to use LassieAS, just software that can export into .swf format, of which there are a few cheaper, and maybe even free/open source applications out there.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #14
Cognitive Dissonant

Hey John! Yes, I have enjoyed playing your demo (actually, just yesterday, and still playing- during work no less..shhhh!). I also enjoyed this article as well, very informative and interesting read! Really liked the 9-step process example, fantastic way of showing exponential progress- and your art truly is excellent. Ah if only I could aspire to be THERE where you are right now. Keep up the great work- devs like you [guys] (and many others) are what continue to motivate me!