You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Freeware adventure game: almost done, maybe you can help us?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 03:24 AM   #1

Default Freeware adventure game: almost done, maybe you can help us?

* INTRODUCTION TO THE COMPANY:

We're an indie game developer's team and we're developing our second game. Our first release is an very original and innovative adventure game called THE SPOILER, about investigation and trial action, with all the elements of a good courtroom Hollywood movie (objections, cross-examining evidences, interrogation, etc). TS have just one problem: it's in Portuguese only. We got huge merits in Brazil, a lot of positive opinions and one award for originality ("indie game of the year '2006").

So we're developing a new adventure point-and-click game with some noir and mafia atmosphere. More simplistic, right-to-the-point than THE SPOILER, but with the same creativeness...

* BRASS TACKS:

You're a guy called Albert Swick who was invited for an old partner's house, Edward Duck. You learnt that he stole a large amount of money during the last few years from his boss (the feared "The Lobster") and his counsellor, Bruce, found it all, blackmailed Edward and gave him an ultimatum for the next day at morning. So, he want you to kill Bruce.

Of course, you won't to mess with Lobster's mob so you pass away the offer, and when you're ready to leave his house, your ex-partner used his last resort: a document proving an terrible mistake you did when you're younger. You're about to punch him to death, but you decide to turn around and just leave that place by the front-door. "If I see you on my back again, you're dead. And I mean that!", you said, the last words Edward will heard in this world. In a second, Edward is falling down the stairs: a stupid accident that broke his neck and now he's dead. And the game begins...

Basically you have to escape from this situation avoiding any chances to be related to what just hapenned. You can try to make the body disappear but first you have to clean the "crime scene", or you can make it looks like an ordinary robbery but first you have to clean any references of yourself on the house. There's a lot of details that will make everything more exciting, like unpredicable visits, annoying neighbours and stuffs, secrets and stories that you will find on his house, ...)

* BRASS TACKS: what do we need?

The game is almost done. To release it worldwide, we need people who:

- Can make the main character voice in english (British accent would be better)
- Can readproof the english texts
- A woman for Evelyn's voice in english (just a couple lines, really short job)

Like I said, it's almost done. Unfortunately, the developing progress stopped at 99%, three months ago, so we're in despair to release it... No experience is required, the priority is to have it done as fast as possible!

* BRASS TACKS: what do you get?

The game will be released as FREEWARE and in english (with portuguese subtitle's option) for the whole world. Every member of the team will have 100% control of the final product: you can do whatever you want to with the game, promote, share or publish like it's yours (you can put it in media, promo cds, etc, for any purpose - you'll have total right on it except to sell it, directly or indirectly).

Our perspective is to make a good impression in order to have people who want to invest in our company and, finally, be able to produce games commercially and be paid for it.

There's also a third project called DEBRIS: a first person 3D game like Half-Life series with a very spooky and ghostly story. The story, well, it will be the most disturbing horror game ever made, and we know the weight of such statement. But we won't be able to make it happen without investment. BRASS TACKS is the turning point for us…

* MORE INFO...

Please, visit our website for more information (overview, resume, screenshots, trailers and downloads, ...)

Here some demos, intros and highlights we made:

BRSSTCKS-STRT video 04/2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOzVwKHD3kg
(the game's first intro - 01:11)

Brass Tacks - trailer 08/2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L1tK4R6LYM
(the game's first prologue and some ingame demo - 04:38)

Brass Tacks - trailer II 08/2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdy1nZ5GdVo

(promo vĂ*deo, with parts of intro, prologue and epilogue, as well as some huge ingame demo - 10:15)

So, if you have interest to work with us, please, contact us here:
www.beware.co.nr
Thank you!

BEWARE THE LADYBEETLE: free game developer's team
Old 09-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Why don't you release the game in Portuguese with English subtitles, rather than the other way around? I'd be more likely to play it if that were the case...
Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Why don't you release the game in Portuguese with English subtitles, rather than the other way around? I'd be more likely to play it if that were the case...
Really? That's weird... I mean, I never thought that someone would like it more in portuguese dub than in their local language (Canada's language is half english/half french, right?)...

But there's no way to do this, the whole game is already done like that. I hope you reconsider trying it when it's finished...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by strattford View Post
Really? That's weird... I mean, I never thought that someone would like it more in portuguese dub than in their local language ...
It's not a unique view. See the recent "Quotable Thread":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeynuts View Post
Do adventure games ever have subtitles in other languages? If the French version had English subtitles, I would definitely prefer that version. After watching the trailer, it seems to add to the atmosphere.
But having the game in English isn't a fault, either.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Really? That's weird... I mean, I never thought that someone would like it more in portuguese dub than in their local language (Canada's language is half english/half french, right?)...
What Trumgottist said. It's the same reason I like watching foreign films subtitled rather than dubbed, really.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 AM   #6

Guys, I really hope you're the only ones who think this way, 'cos we're on this game so badly for so long, and we did some research before decide about languages... For instance, one of the workers who live in USA said most of people there don't use to watch foreign movies because they're not used to read subtitles. He even said a popular quote, something like: "I actually watch movies. If I want to read, I rather take a book"...

No one interested in work in this marvellous noir game?

Quote:
Do adventure games ever have subtitles in other languages
I hope not. Be the first ones to make it would be great, don't you think?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

It differs between countries. Here in the Netherlands, popular english tv shows and movies are always subtitled and never dubbed, except for cartoons and animated movies (which in cinemas come out in two versions, with the subtitled version usually filling more seats). On the other hand, in France and Germany they are always dubbed (though on forums I still see a lot of people from these countries indicating they prefer subtitles as well).
The main arguments in favor of subtitling are that dubs can never be as good as the original (and are typically far worse) and that having characters speak the wrong language doesn't feel right.
To me, the fact that the game Once Upon a Time in Japan will have actual Japanese speech is an important reason I look forward to it -even though I'll be reading the subtitles to understand it.

Last edited by Harald B; 09-26-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
Freeware Co-ordinator

Could possibly do the proofreading in English (I've done it for a couple of other games before) but I can't promise an immediate turnaround as I have a few other things on at the moment. How much text is there to be proofread? Feel free to PM me if you don't have anyone else for the job and I'll see if I can slot it in sometime.

I have a fine English accent but I don't have a computer mike so I can't do the voice part I'm afreaid.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #9
The Ultimate Insult

Yeah well Im afraid to say most Americans are terrified of reading. ¬¬
I'd like it in portugese, for a start I like subtitles because I can read faster than I can listen and I think the portugese would be a nice language to hear. providing theres english translation in text so I can understand whats going on, I think its fine that way.
But otherwise, I could try voicing your female if wanted. Im sixteen so my voice is fairly young.. but Im sure I can make it more mature and at times its fairly deep but I can make it more British and higher if needed.
Im guessing the proof-reading is to test the structure of the english sentences and if something has translated well? If Stepurhan hasnt got the time, I do. xD

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM   #10

Sterpurhan and Atlantis:
I just PM you guys. Did you get it? Thank you!!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #11

If you need more help in the proofreading department, I can help. I used to work for a newspaper proofreading copy for grammar and spelling. Then later on I worked for a radio station writing radio copy for on air broadcasting. Mind you all this took place many years ago in my younger days but I still believe I could help out.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Guys, I really hope you're the only ones who think this way, 'cos we're on this game so badly for so long, and we did some research before decide about languages... For instance, one of the workers who live in USA said most of people there don't use to watch foreign movies because they're not used to read subtitles. He even said a popular quote, something like: "I actually watch movies. If I want to read, I rather take a book"...
I think most adventure gamers are used to reading text on-screen, so there should be no problems there.

When it comes to movies, text does distract a little from the action, but rather that than horrible out-of-sync dubbing that sounds and looks just plain unrealistic.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
I think most adventure gamers are used to reading text on-screen, so there should be no problems there.

When it comes to movies, text does distract a little from the action, but rather that than horrible out-of-sync dubbing that sounds and looks just plain unrealistic.
Dude, I promisse you that such thing probably won't happen because I spent days and nights from the last few months over all these details.

Just one interesting history about this game (and to show how seriously I'm all-the-way on it): Do you know AGS (Adventure Game Maker)? Because the game was firstly planned to be developed with AGS. The "programmer" (no names) asked for being the only one programming because he had his own method, technics and stuff...

So he was doing everything perfectly, very profissionally, until he emailed me "I need to leave the project. No free time, sorry" and simply disappeared from the planet! We was only TWO rooms to finish the game's interface... The few ones who accepted a try on his code said they couldn't decypher his "programming methodology"... I was about to freaking out, I really was... But I took a long breath and decide to program the game myself... I never did a line of code before, but I decide to learn it, and the easiest way I found was Flash/ActionScript... I started from zero, doing everything once again...

It was painful, but I could make it... Actually, it was even better than the AGS version... So I decide to make from Brass Tacks the project of my life, as perfect as my amateurism knowledge could get...

Once again, the game was almost done, perfect and shining, but the main character (voice-actor), a British dude who actually is an actor and made the most beautiful and convincing dubs I ever heard for a game... Well, he was too busy to finish it too... Now I'm here, trying to find someone who would be kindly enough to re-record all the voices, for free...

So, mark my words: Brass Tacks will be such a h-bomb of a game!!!

Otherwise, at least I'll know that I gave my 1000%, so I will know for sure that making games is not for me...
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
The Ultimate Insult

well hey, what are strangers on an adventure games forum for. xD

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 10-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
well hey, what are strangers on an adventure games forum for. xD
Now I now that and I'm very happy with the project...
Thank you "Evelyn"
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #16
How am I not myself?

I just watched the trailers, and I must say it looks great. If you like, I can proofread it for you.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic View Post
I just watched the trailers, and I must say it looks great. If you like, I can proofread it for you.
Hey, thank you very much!!!!!

We have a long team working with proofread and It's almost done now... But we still need the voice for the main character, so you're welcome!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 AM   #18
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Hey, thank you very much!!!!!

We have a long team working with proofread and It's almost done now... But we still need the voice for the main character, so you're welcome!
I'm not sure how well I'd do with voice work. Oh, and I'm Australian not British.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic View Post
I'm not sure how well I'd do with voice work. Oh, and I'm Australian not British.
I PM you already
Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #20

Best of luck to you guys with your (highly anticipated) game! It sure looks terrific. Sorry I'm unable to help you with the voice acting - my accent is rather mediterranean