You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #1

Default adventure game graphics

ive decided to try and find a game to work on the graphics side of things, hower looking aound i see most games make use of pixel art backgrounds and characters, is ther a reason behind this (memory constraints,engine?)
also would that make it impossible to use realistic 3d rendered backgrounds and characters?
could any ppl experienced in this area give me some advice?

thanks
chris
Old 01-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

Um... It depends on the kind of game...

A lot of these fan made adventure game do use pixel based graphics because they are similar. However, with a 3-D Modeling software package, you can export images frame by frame and import them as sprites to give it a 3-D look.

I think part of the appeal of the fan made games is the pixel-based artwork because it reminds players of what it was like when they used to play their "old favorites".
Old 01-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
Under pressure.

There are engines around to create (realtime rendered) 3D games, but they're not specifically designed for adventure games. You also have to know quite a bit about programming.

Examples:

Blender: http://www.blender3d.com
DarkBasic: http://www.darkbasic.com
Jamagic: http://www.clickteam.com

--Erwin
Old 01-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #4

yeah ive seen them, im just looking to used pre rendered backgrounds and animated characters.
esp as im really not into programming
thanks for your reply
Old 01-25-2004, 01:20 PM   #5

hmm i wonder if a vector based adventure would work (ponders)
thanks for the replies so it seems its just a nostalga thing with the pixels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRBURNS
ive decided to try and find a game to work on the graphics side of things, hower looking aound i see most games make use of pixel art backgrounds and characters, is ther a reason behind this (memory constraints,engine?)
also would that make it impossible to use realistic 3d rendered backgrounds and characters?
could any ppl experienced in this area give me some advice?

thanks
chris
Old 01-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
hmm i wonder if a vector based adventure would work (ponders)
I think anything could work, if done well.
Quote:
thanks for the replies so it seems its just a nostalga thing with the pixels?
No! Well, ok, maybe it is for some, but my game creating has nothing to with nostalgia. I'm making an adventure game beacuse I really like the form. That I use "pixel art" (are not all computer graphics pixels anyway? ) is beacuse I feel most comfortable with a pen and paper. (Though I have been dabbling with 3d modelling, and have plans to create a fully 3d adventure game some time in the future. I just have to finish my current projects first...)

So use whatever you like. From an engine's point of view, it doesn't matter how the images are made (as long as we're not talking real-time 3d). A computer rendered image is just as 2d as a hand drawn one.