You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #101
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
I'm pretty disappointed some (if not all) think I'm an attention seeker. If you look at my posting history, I've never started a thread with the intention of a flame-war. I didn't start this one either...
Actually, I owe you an apology. The thread title was indeed very misleading. I think the mods went a bit over the top with that choice of words and, if I were you, I would ask them to change the title as it makes you look like a fool trying to start a war.

That said, I still think that you're being overly harsh and should step back a bit in some of your statements. You're treating the hard work of many people very unfairly.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
<Steals Soap Box>

*ahem*

I totally agree, I know some blunt people online but not as blunt as saying Fan games are shit or this is sh1t or that is sh1t. Try and target what fan project YOU think is sh1tty, and then try to develop your ideas on why you think its sh1tty. I don't see the point in this conversation, we're making no progress with this guy...
What would count as progress? And why does a conversation have to go anywehre?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #103
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
What would count as progress?
You understanding what you're talking about.

Quote:
And why does a conversation have to go anywehre?
Conversation has to go ''anywehre'' to be anything. Pointless conversations are pointless unless they are fun, this is not fun, this is me responding to someone who doesnt know much about fan game development other than what is blatently obvious.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
You understanding what you're talking about.

Conversation has to go ''anywehre'' to be anything. Pointless conversations are pointless unless they are fun, this is not fun, this is me responding to someone who doesnt know much about fan game development other than what is blatently obvious.
*Sigh*. This is an Internet forum. We're discussing a seemingly controversial topic and judging by the number of replies, it's going places. And who are you to decide whether a conversation is (and should be) going anywhere? And who are you to decide the extent to which I know about fan game development? And why are you replying if you’re finding it a joyless experience?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin
Actually, I owe you an apology. The thread title was indeed very misleading. I think the mods went a bit over the top with that choice of words and, if I were you, I would ask them to change the title as it makes you look like a fool trying to start a war.

That said, I still think that you're being overly harsh and should step back a bit in some of your statements. You're treating the hard work of many people very unfairly.
My word is not absolute. I'm just some loser on an Internet forum.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #106
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
In defense of the mods, nobody put words into AudioSolder's mouth. He made a post in the KQ9 thread that began "Fan games are shit. Full stop." We had a request to split that that post and the subsequent responses into a new thread because they were not on the subject of the original thread (KQ9 being resumed), which we did. The moderator who did it took AudioSoldier's first sentence, inserted a * in place of the i, and used it as the title.

I personally don't care what the thread is called, and it's been changed. But no one provoked the original poster into making the statement or edited anything that he said. I just want to make sure that's clear for people who may not have been following this thread from the beginning.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #107
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Sure fov, I understand that. But AudioSoldier's fateful post sounded much worse than it was as a first post. The in-your-face title didn't help either... I personally had no idea about that other thread.

Anyway, this thread has sadly become a waste of time. I just hope its (unwilling) author will reconsider his position.

I'm off to drink a Margarita!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #108
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
You better be planning to share.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #109
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
And work on Scratches, I hope. Which reminds me, I have a preview to type...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #110
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Waste of time? But the fun's only just started!

Seriously. I'd REALLY love to see the look on AudioSoldier's face upon being faced with RL&BAT. He may think that amateur adventure games suck, but truly, no one has ever played RL&BAT without finding it to be pure and utter genius.

The download link at the site I linked to didn't work, unfortunately; it can be found here.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:35 PM   #111
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
no one has ever played RL&BAT without finding it to be pure and utter genius.
Apart from the reviewer from this very site, sadly .

I happen to agree: it's genius. In a totally-deranged kind of way .

Old 12-16-2005, 04:36 PM   #112
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
And work on Scratches, I hope. Which reminds me, I have a preview to type...
The anticipation is killing me

I'll make a deal with you - I'll keep working after I read your preview!

[clichéd manic laughter goes here]
Old 12-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #113
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
I'll make a deal with you - I'll keep working after I read your preview!
I do hope so. But that's all I'm saying for now .

Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #114
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Heck, I'm not assuming I'm correct and that you're all a bunch of idiots, despite the implications. It's merely my opinion, and it's diabolically sad that I'm being lambasted so greatly for it.
Your claim that the fan games you've played are shit is your opinion, and I really don't think anyone cares one way or the other. People like what they like - big whoop.

Your assertion ever since that ALL fan games are shit, and in fact MUST be shit for reasons X, Y, and Z is so full of erroneous assumptions that you are rightly being "lambasted" for THAT, not your personal view of the games you've played. If you understood that distinction, this thread might in fact actually have a point.

But since you consider yourself misunderstood and abused, I'll remind you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself, earlier
Anyway, I actually agree with parts of what you're trying to say here.
Unfortunately, you had only one relevant point, and proceeded to bury it under a mound of nonsense.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #115

Okay, I skimmed over the topic and I'm just putting in my two cents, being a member of the "amateur adventure scene".

I did the music and a lot of character graphics/animation on Two of a Kind (Which I've seen hailed in this thread numerous times, so thanks to everyone for that!). Though we initially did the game for a competition on the AGS Forums (Wihch meant we did the bulk of the game within a month), we worked on it for months after to try and polish it up.

Of course, we're not professionals. The game may not look as good as commercial games, it may not sounds as good, but there's one underlying factor: IT IS FREE.

It was done for the love of the adventure game genre, by fans for fans. If someone doesn't like it, then they should not play it. Now personally, I love amateur made adventures, in fact, I've only bought four or five commercial adventures in the past couple years, whereas I've played dozens of free ones. Only a small handfull were great games, but I certainly don't condemn all amateur adventures because the majority of them are bad.

If someone wants amateur adventures to be more professional, then send me a large check. I'll go out and hire an orchestra to record the score I'm writing right now for "Three of a Kind" (Oops, did I let that slip?). Otherwise, people should stop complaining.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #116

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

In response to the claim that all amateur games are bad, I just wanted to mention the game the white chamber. It's by far the best underground game I've played and is definitely worth the free download.

the white chamber: http://www.studiotrophis.com/wc.php

On an unrelated note, in response to the posts about Scratches, I just had to express my excitement for the game. It's up there with Dreamfall as my most hyped upcoming games.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #117

What I find interesting is that he said "Steve Ince's game isn't a shitty fan game. He's having it published!"

So, basically, you're saying if the game's being published it's NOT a shitty game, and if it's not published it IS a shitty game.

Have you played Steve Ince's new game? What if it turns out not to be that good, heaven forbid? Will the fact that it's been published have any bearing on its quality?

What about games that were released as amatuer games, but publishers picked them up and they're now published? Were they shitty before but now magically aren't?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #118
Rogue Agent

I've followed this topic from the begining and he's not saying that having a game published makes it better quality-wise.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGreenArt
What I find interesting is that he said "Steve Ince's game isn't a shitty fan game. He's having it published!"

So, basically, you're saying if the game's being published it's NOT a shitty game, and if it's not published it IS a shitty game.

Have you played Steve Ince's new game? What if it turns out not to be that good, heaven forbid? Will the fact that it's been published have any bearing on its quality?

What about games that were released as amatuer games, but publishers picked them up and they're now published? Were they shitty before but now magically aren't?
I'm saying it's good enough to be published, and I hope he succeeds in pushing forward a publishing deal.

Edit: I'm downloading "The box who ate time".

Edit 2: Also, I'd just like to reiterate why I made my original post, since, admittedly it has been rather buried in some of my more questionable comments.

People were up-in-arms at the cancellation of KQ9. I can understand their reasoning: The game had been in development for quite some time, and Vivendi's sudden and seemingly inappropriate shut-down of the production was frowned upon by many.

I'm not going to comment on the company's decisions, but I felt compelled to make the point that I didn't believe KQ9 would be worth the hype, or the petitions created to have its production resumed. Why? Because I believed it was being created by a team of amateurs. Since I've been subsequently corrected -- apparently, members from professional companies are lending their talent -- I'll perhaps change my words slightly: I HAD no reason to anticipate KQ9 and I still don't think it will be as good as the anticipation warrants. Yes, there are some talented people working on it, but I have my doubts.

Also, I never singled out any fan-games as being "shit" (at least, I don't recall doing as such). I wasn't intending to hurt people's feelings. It's my blunt point-of-view that's been at fault.

Edit 3: The Box Who Ate Time doesn't work.

Last edited by AudioSoldier; 12-17-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM   #120
Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Mnemonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by odnorf
Also, try http://offstudio.fabry.cz for a very good freeware adventure. And yes, I'd pay for it. Also check this comment about this game http://offstudio.fabry.cz/forum/index.php?topic=162
This thread shows nicely why I'm working on amateur adventure games. As long as there are people who play and enjoy our games (and judging by the feedback we got from 5ma fans there are lots of them), there's no problem with their existence, even though their production values may not match commercial games.
Besides, creating games is fun and a challenging and creative hobby. Note the word *hobby*.

Quote:
And don't try and tell me that anyone working on any fangame would turn down a position working for a games company.
I would (and I did, actually, in a way). I wouldn't want game development to become yet another boring job with deadlines and management which tells you what to do and how to cripple your design. Amateur development gives me a freedom to do what I want and when I want.