You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tell Me about the Broken Sword series.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 07:02 PM   #1

Default Tell Me about the Broken Sword series.

whats it about? Why should I spend a month hunting down out of print games for exuberant prices? As a Humor Adventure fan would I enjoy it? or would I hate it like Syberia and Longest Journey?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventurer
or would I hate it like Syberia and Longest Journey?
ouch you trying to start a riot? well the reason bs stands out is their presentation. Their story is in the 4th person, yah that sounds wierd, everything they do they say in the past tense like they are telling you a story, wait maybe thats the 2nd person, bleh anyways... yah bs1 and 2 are pretty short but they are the top adv games. Its style is different from any adv game you can think of, it is almost incomparable. If you crave adv i highly recomend it. But if your just someone trying to understand good adv i dont know if you should risk it, especially if you dont like syberia or tlj.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventurer
whats it about?
There must be scores of easily-available reviews on the internet that can explain the plot. They're adventurey. And I mean that in a plot sense, not just a gameplay sense.

Quote:
Why should I spend a month hunting down out of print games for exuberant prices?
You shouldn't. Just buy them on budget. From here, for example, for ÂŁ5 each.

Quote:
As a Humor Adventure fan would I enjoy it?
As a Regular Adventure fan you probably would. They have bits of Humor, but I wouldn't call them Humor Adventures by any means.

Quote:
or would I hate it like Syberia and Longest Journey?
I have no idea. Perhaps those games weren't Humorous enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82
ouch you trying to start a riot? well the reason bs stands out is their presentation. Their story is in the 4th person, yah that sounds wierd, everything they do they say in the past tense like they are telling you a story, wait maybe thats the 2nd person, bleh anyways...
The gameplay (like most point-and-clicks) is 3rd person.

Quote:
yah bs1 and 2 are pretty short but they are the top adv games. Its style is different from any adv game you can think of, it is almost incomparable. If you crave adv i highly recomend it. But if your just someone trying to understand good adv i dont know if you should risk it, especially if you dont like syberia or tlj.
Agreed on all counts except the last bit. No harm in trying, especially when you can get them that cheap.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright

Last edited by remixor; 11-21-2003 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Yog

Try checking http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/database.php A truly EXCELLENT site for ALL Adventure Games information, listed by year, alphabetically, as well as by developer, etc. from the very first Adventure game to "yesterday's release" ....... links to all games include Previews, Reviews, Walkthroughs, where you can buy them ........ everything. Thanks to Peter (?) I think his name is ...... anyway, well worth adding to your bookmarks! A Real Adventure Gamers must have URL.

:wave:
Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #5
Dr Uberman

You hated TLJ and Syberia? Well what did you like?
Old 11-21-2003, 01:32 AM   #6

Did anyone not like Broken Sword? I loved the first one, second one not quite so much but was still cool, and the third was "different" but I also liked that.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
You hated TLJ and Syberia? Well what did you like?
Lucasart Adventures, Zork Adventures, and Discworld Noir.

That should be a good indication of my tastes.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:51 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

well, I personally don't think the BS games are the best games ever. I am near the end of BS2 and it's actually starting to get on my nerves. But they are *good* games, and they are available for cheap (the first two anyway).

the storylines are heavily grounded in history -- similar to the gabriel knight storylines, if you've played those, but the BS games take themselves less seriously than the GK games do.

As for this second person / fourth person / third person discussion, I'm not really sure what everyone means. These are straightforward third person point-and-click games (same perspective as Syberia and TLJ). You see your character walking across the screen, and he tells you what he observes or what's going on in his head. (Second person is when the narration says "You do this, you do that." Fourth person, I've never heard of. )

The BS games are heavy on dialogue and inventory puzzles. If you thought TLJ had too much dialogue, you will probably think the same of BS.

-emily
Old 11-21-2003, 08:46 AM   #9
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If you thought TLJ had too much dialogue, you will probably think the same of BS.
Possibly, but from what I remember of BS1 and BS2 (I haven't played through them in a while), the dialogue in the BS games is more along the lines of actual dialogue as opposed to the huge amount of pure exposition often contained in TLJ's dialogue. I didn't mind this about TLJ, but I do think it's sort of different. BS' verbosity is a bit "easier", I think.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-21-2003, 08:48 AM   #10
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Yes. I liked BS1's dialogue.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-21-2003, 09:08 AM   #11
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

You should get BS1 because it is The Best Game Ever.

You should get BS2 because it's a great game.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:24 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Possibly, but from what I remember of BS1 and BS2 (I haven't played through them in a while), the dialogue in the BS games is more along the lines of actual dialogue as opposed to the huge amount of pure exposition often contained in TLJ's dialogue. I didn't mind this about TLJ, but I do think it's sort of different. BS' verbosity is a bit "easier", I think.
i agree that the dialogue in the BS games is better integrated than it was in TLJ. but there's still a lot of it (especially at the beginning of BS1.)

emily