You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia or Still Life?

View Poll Results: Which Adventure game to play next?
Syberia 48 60.76%
Still Life 31 39.24%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #41

I liked both games.

I liked Syberia because the graphics all around are astounding, the puzzles were fairly hard and took some time to do, and the story line kept me interested.

I liked Still Life because the storyline was just amazing, the graphics were also astounding but my one gripe *which is probably everyones* is that it was too short. I, for whatever reason, played this in one day and found the puzzles too easy to solve. I loved the ending because it leaves you wanting more and i loved how it switched beautifully between Gus and Victoria and how the story just interweaved. It was just simply too short of a game.

I would say play both games. They are equally worth the money and very enjoyable.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:11 AM   #42

i found still life to be somewhat underwhelming and gray. constantly cutting between two different timelines made me feel indifferent about both.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyRenderedThinking
i found still life to be somewhat underwhelming and gray. constantly cutting between two different timelines made me feel indifferent about both.

see, i liked that. it kept me interested and i liked how they tied in both timelines perfectly and didnt just thrown them in. you learned about both and why the charecters are how they are in present because of past (why the grandfather is cold and doesn't discuss how he met the wife) and etc...
Old 08-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #44
Hegemonizing Swarm

I liked all those games. I think overall I had more fun with Syberia 1+2, perhaps because I played those first.

I'd say you should go for Syberia 1+2 (and DON'T skip straight to 2, play both).

Incidentally, here in the UK you can ONLY get Syberia 1+2; they are not sold separately over here any more.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I would say both. But if you absolutely had to choose, I would say the Syberia series.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:40 AM   #46

Syberia I & II combine to form one Syberia title is no exagerration. When we play adventure games like Syberia, wouldn't you say we are like reading a book? To read and feel the thoughts of the author helps when you read his book. Syberia is more artwork than merely just a game. What strikes me initially is that once you have entered the small little town together with Kate, one feels like everything takes place nearly 80 years back, which to me is romantic. Indeed, the robot world is genuinely classy. The innovations is absolutely outstanding. Syberia is like a movie. I actually read in quite a few places that fans of Syberia suggested to have Syberia made into a motion picture.

As to Still Life, I just bought it yesterday. I have started it yet. So I am not yet, in a position to comment, but I know it will be impressive to me. I briefly read the review and learnt that Still Life has taken a character called Gus MacPherson from another title called "Post Mortem". Anyone who has played Post Mortem will not find the name a stranger. post Mortem on the other hand is entirely different than Syberia. Post Mortem is somewhat a suspense with heavy detective elements. It could very well be classified as a thriller if you like. If you cast aside the walkthrough, you will be surprised by the zig-zagness of Post Mortem. You will play the role of Guz Macpherson, then Hellouin. Your memory has to be good, and like you watch a detective motion picture, guess who would be the most likely suspect and as you go along, you find more than one suspect or another person looks more likely be the suspect ...so so. I am actually glad that Still Life, at some stage, jumps back into the past and brings back Gus MacPherson. Though I haven't played it yet, I know I am going to like it.

Back to your question, it's very hard to say and suggest. Adventure games, unlike other genres, is very subjective to a player. Things like the player's taste, reading backgroung, naturally video games habit and history...all these form a big set of factors if the game is up to your expectations or likings. Black Mirror for instance, is also one of my favourites though it is not at the top of my list. Some games are much better in day time, some better all in the darkness of the night. Both Still LIfe and Post Mortem have mastered this important consideration. And Syberia soes it also because the designer or author what is appropriate for the story development.

Well...I would get both if I were you. I am not a veteran adventure gamer and my collection is rather small, less than 10. But in all honesty, Syberia, Post Mortem and Still LIfe are on the top of my list!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #47

I loved the first Syberia game but I didn't like the second one,especially the ending.I'd say Still Life is better because the graphics are awesome but in the other hand there is no fantasy element like Syberia but its a good scenario also for a movie and the switching between characters reminded me a little TLJ.Anyway I'd say...PLAY BOTH OF THEM.I play NiBIRu at the moment and it reminds me Ark Of Time,I like it a lot.Every 3rd person adventure with nice graphics and a serious plot its ok for me!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 AM   #48
pain is love

I'd go with Still Life, but that's my VERY subjective opinion. I just don't like Syberia, no matter how many times I try to replay it...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #49

I enjoyed the Syberia games far more than Still Life.

Still life felt rushed to me. I was left disappointed by the ending, and some of the puzzles hardly connected with the gameplay. I’m surprised they didn’t stick in a few random Sudoku puzzles just to pad it out a bit more.

Syberia sets itself up as a melancholic game right from the start, and its atmosphere may not be to everyone’s taste. The hollowness of the game only extenuates this, and I don’t think it's necessarily a bad thing. Everything that I’d reasonably want to intereact with was available for me to do so. It was never meant to be a busy game.

Playing Syberia when you’re not in the ‘right mood’ for it would be like watching a sad film when you’re happy – you’ll just get bored and disheartened by it.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #50

Indeed, macroid games seem to have a habit of being a bit empty and lack of communication with characters, which have often been more suitable for 1st person AGs.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed Still Life. It's not often I like serious 3rd person games, but this one had a terrific plot that held me well enough (although I did use the walkthrough more than i should have, but that lock pick puzzle really spun me out. I really don't get how people figured that one out, but enough ranting).

Anyway, i really vote for Still Life after the fantastic atmosphere in Prague 1929. I thought the game would go downhill when going back in time, but it only got even better. Prague 1929's story is even better than Victoria's story.

i wasn't too bothered about the ending either. That being said, I knew the ending before I bought it (someone didn't spoiler tag).

Anyway, I found Syberia 1 a little dragging, and only have the game on PS2, so the game has longer loading times, cheaper looking graphics and the story just didnt' drag. however, I'm going to give it a try again on PC in the future, and I'm sure it'll be worth it just to play part 2 which is supposed to be even better.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #51
It's Hard To Be Humble

I've played both (including both parts of Syberia) and while I enjoyed both, I personally found Still Life a more satisfying narrative, simply because I understood and sympathized with Vic and Gus MacPherson better than I did with Kate. Everything that centered around Kate worked for me, but once the whole story shifted to helping Hans, it fell apart for me.

That said, they are both very good games. I suggest that, if you do play Syberia, upi should try to get your hands on both parts before you start, so you can play it straight through. They really are meant to be played as one, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #52
Super Moderator

This thread was started a year ago and the person who started it never came back.

I suppose it would be helpful for someone else but the poll should probably be closed.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #53
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
This thread was started a year ago and the person who started it never came back.
EEP! I am so bad for not looking at the post dates.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #54
Super Moderator

Someone else bumped the old thread to comment on it. Although if it's a topic that's old that someone wants to discuss, it almost seems better to start a fresh thread because it just confuses those who don't notice the post dates right away.

I'm just being slightly fussy today.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #55
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Someone else bumped the old thread to comment on it. Although if it's a topic that's old that someone wants to discuss, it almost seems better to start a fresh thread because it just confuses those who don't notice the post dates right away.

I'm just being slightly fussy today.
Well, in the case of a thread this specific (ie 'Tell me what to do'), I agree that reviving an old thread is somewhat pointless. However, I tend to come from the school of thought that it's better to reuse an old thread than to start a brand new thread for the same topic. Not always practiceable, but still, I got in on this whole internet thing at the tail end of the days of proper netiquette, and this makes me normally very anal about searching for older topic threads before starting a new one.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #56

Hehe, having just finished the Syberia series, I would have to say I enjoyed both Still Life and Syberia...though Still Life is slightly a bit more engrossing than Syberia since I like detective games. The only real bad things about Still Life is the ending and certain insane/stupid puzzles. Otherwise, the story with the time change and the concept of a "Jack the Ripper" serial killer is really great, IMO.