You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia or Still Life?

View Poll Results: Which Adventure game to play next?
Syberia 48 60.76%
Still Life 31 39.24%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #1

Default Syberia or Still Life?

I liked both demos, and while Syberia seems more imaginative and fantasy-like, almost surreal, which I like, Still Life's FBI/detective based gameplay interests me equally. Eventually I'll play both I think, but I just cannot decide which one to start with. I'm interested in hearing about both, opinions, comparisons, etc. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
merely human

I've only played Syberia so far; it can be an emotionally moving experience and is very beautiful, but you may be disappointed by the 'emptiness' of the gameworld in terms of what you're allowed to do in it. The game suffers from lack of interactivity (where the character usually comments or examines things).

But from people here I heard that Still Life is quite good, though there are some complaints about its puzzle design and general execution. But I played to demo, and I love its look and style so I plan on getting the full game if only for that.

Why not do it chronologically and get Syberia first, then Still Life?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Dungeon Master

I have played neither, so I don't feel entitled to vote (however, I myself intend to try both Syberias eventually, which, so I gather, offer more complete experience than Still Life with its cliffhanger ending), but just wanted to ask...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I've only played Syberia so far; it can be an emotionally moving experience and is very beautiful, but you may be disappointed by the 'emptiness' of the gameworld in terms of what you're allowed to do in it. The game suffers from lack of interactivity (where the character usually comments or examines things).
...wasn't it a criticism about Still Life as well?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

I'll probably be no help, because I've played both and liked them both. I loved how Syberia opened and the whole toymaking/automaton world was just fascinating and unique to me.

I liked Still Life as well. I loved playing detective for the first parts of the game.

I played Syberia first, but liked them both about equally.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
It was, yes. But since I haven't played Still Life in full others who have might want to give their experiences of it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I found the demo of Syberia to be an extremely hollow experience. I've also yet to play Still Life. However, lots of people like both games. In terms of their subject matter I'd personally lean towards the latter, but you may well enjoy either.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Dungeon Master

And one more thing: welcome to the Forum, Dreamfall (I must admit, seeing "Syberia or Still Life? by Dreamfall" on the forums' index made me chuckle a bit) !
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
And one more thing: welcome to the Forum, Dreamfall (I must admit, seeing "Syberia or Still Life? by Dreamfall" on the forums' index made me chuckle a bit) !
Now all Dreamfall needs is an avatar from Farenheit .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It was, yes. But since I haven't played Still Life in full others who have might want to give their experiences of it.
I've read these criticisms of the game in the Still Life thread. I'm not an adventure gaming veteran, so while this may be a valid criticism for veterans, I didn't get frustrated at not being able to interact with more things.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
merely human

Well, having played other kinds of games, it gets annoying and frustrating. I feel like I'm walking through a beautiful world where everything is underglass, clinical, and I can't touch anything except the puzzles and inventory items.

The last adventure game I played where I had a great time interacting with the world was Gabriel Knight 3. The smart ass comments Gabe and Grace gave on all the things you clicked on were almost more fun than the puzzles and storyline.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #11

I enjoyed Still Life more than Syberia, personally, but that's just because Syberia seemed too lonely.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Now all Dreamfall needs is an avatar from Farenheit .
Man, your comment touched me to the Bone!
Old 08-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #13

Hah thanks guys, interesting stuff. I picked up Syberia and have started it. So far so good.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
merely human

When you finish the game, make sure you read this thread: Life and Death On Rails: The Symbolisms of Syberia.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I have played neither, so I don't feel entitled to vote (however, I myself intend to try both Syberias eventually, which, so I gather, offer more complete experience than Still Life with its cliffhanger ending), but just wanted to ask...
Well it was but I think in the case of Still Life, it is a little bit more justified. Most of the game happens at night (at least the Chicago part of it), and the locales usually involve a crime scene so I don't know if you would expect a crowd there. Still they might have added some kind of people walking in the background, to give it a more realistic feel. Seeing that the company did not even have enough money to finish the game, I'm satisfied with what they offered.

Firefox rules
Old 08-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I would say play Still Life first, then ignore Syberia and go straight for Syberia 2 - it's so much more engrossing than the first one.
Or you coud buy the Collectors edition or Ltd edition, whatever its called, which has both games on it for around £20
Old 08-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #17
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Well it was but I think in the case of Still Life, it is a little bit more justified. Most of the game happens at night (at least the Chicago part of it), and the locales usually involve a crime scene so I don't know if you would expect a crowd there.
I was talking more about how few possible interactions there are than about lack of people (which doesn't bother me much, actually). And I'd say this seems in fact less justified in case of FBI agent on assignment.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #18
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
I enjoyed Still Life more than Syberia, personally, but that's just because Syberia seemed too lonely.
yeah, such big places with so little people. It was like the whole world took a sick day
Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #19
cows are my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Well it was but I think in the case of Still Life, it is a little bit more justified. Most of the game happens at night (at least the Chicago part of it), and the locales usually involve a crime scene so I don't know if you would expect a crowd there. Still they might have added some kind of people walking in the background, to give it a more realistic feel. Seeing that the company did not even have enough money to finish the game, I'm satisfied with what they offered.
Wow. I totally (and respectfully) disagree. It doesn't matter if the locales were at a crime scene, it was still in the middle of Chicago and NO ONE was around. Prague should have had way more people crawling around it too, despite how it was the 1920s. Still Life's emptiness was out of place. Even the police station should have had much more life in it than it did. Plenty of cops work on Christmas, so that's no excuse. The locales of Syberia were supposed to be empty and barren of life; abandoned and lonely screens added to the overall beauty of the in game art.

I'm not saying Syberia was perfect. In fact, the gameplay in both was lacking. On that note, I have to say Syberia is the better of the two. At least with Syberia I got worlds that, in their own fantasy like way, made sense. Still Life's... not so much.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #20
Final Fantasy IXer

I found both to be very unimpressive.