You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure List of Rare Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman View Post
Hi All,

I am compiling a list of all RARE & Valuable Adventure Games. Any one can help or advice in adding any rare title in it ?
Hi,
do you have Umbra Conspiracy in it? do you have any information about this game? review ?
I only know the i-tube video about it. Not much...
thanks anyway!
And what about Skyborg?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #102

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta View Post
For a site that has a lot of "rare" collectors' games, check out the following hyper-Link.

http://www.playinggamesinteractive.com/catalog.html

Antoinetta
I wonder how they get their games, anyways... they mark their games REAL low, kinda depressing but good at the same time.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #103
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
I wonder how they get their games, anyways... they mark their games REAL low, kinda depressing but good at the same time.
In spite of their current sale prices, most of their games have never been exactly low-priced. Gilbert Goodmate still requires a whopping 129.95 dollars! Grim Fandango and Nightlong $79.95, Hopkins FBI $89.95, Drascula $179.95...
Old 05-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #104

If you are looking for Skyborg, PM me. I have a shipping box of retail-ready shrinkwrapped copies in my basement. Each copy includes with a pack of the trading cards, too.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #105
The name says it all!

So there's a lot of very, very rare adventures, but the ones that are the most rare I'm guessing are games that nobody has ever even heard of and there for can't list :-). But anyway I got Nippon Safes for example and Duckman and Kyrandia series in a yellow box and probably some other supposedly very rare games but they cant be worth more then a 100 dollars at the most, not exactly big bucks?! Or please correct me if I'm wrong, I could do with a couple of thousand dollars.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #106
The Major Grubert.

I just bought a shrink wrapped Duckman (German) and it cost me $40US.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #107
Schättenjager

The game is a first person, point & click adventure with whimsical, three-dimensional characters set in detailed graphical locations, which you view in 360 degrees. The collection of cute little creatures called imps is the key for saving games and solving some of the puzzles. Puzzles are varied and include the traditional ones (using inventory items, talking to non-player characters, etc.) as well as a few arcade style sequences.
Reminiscent of cartoon style LucasArts games, The Quivering brings together a blend of spookiness and comedy. Listen to voice impressions of Vincent Price and Boris Karloff. Visit and fully explore classic movie sets and meet your favorite monsters.
Yes The Quivering
Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #108
The Quiet One

What about Discworld 1 & 2 for PC? These must be the rarest of the rarest adventure games. You can't buy them anywhere from what i can tell, only download them from The Underdogs. They only seem available for the PlayStation.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #109
The name says it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
What about Discworld 1 & 2 for PC? These must be the rarest of the rarest adventure games. You can't buy them anywhere from what i can tell, only download them from The Underdogs. They only seem available for the PlayStation.
No sorry I dont think so, by that logic pretty much all adventure games should be rare! There are very few games you can buy from the stores or that isn't second hand now a days but Discworld was a very popular game and they're not that old so I'm guessing a lot of people still have their old copies at home but just dont want to sell them, I know I do. So does that really make them rare. Rare games to me are games like Voodoo kid, shit games that nobody bothered to buy when they had the chance and thus only exist in a very small number of copies.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #110

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Two contributions by myself.

The mention of Rex Nebular brought to mind another adventure by the same company, Return of the Phantom, based on the Phantom of the Opera. I believe they also did a third adventure...Dragonsphere, that was it.

Review is here

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/disp....jsp?index=227

Also, there is another game called Dreamweb
Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman View Post
Hi All,

I am compiling a list of all RARE & Valuable Adventure Games. Any one can help or advice in adding any rare title in it ?
Well, I guess I might help a little bit..., but I've no idea what you have there already... can you help me to help you?

Anyway, here are just a few:

Town With No Name (1993)
Hound of the Baskerville
Skyborg
Affaire Morlov
Drascula
Chewy: Esc from F5
Noir: A Shadowy Thriller

...but again, there are many more - if not knowing what you have I will lose track even those I am listing right now...
Cheers
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #112
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragom View Post
Town With No Name (1993)
Hound of the Baskerville
Skyborg
Affaire Morlov
Drascula
Chewy: Esc from F5
Noir: A Shadowy Thriller
Ah yes, The Hound of the Baskervilles by Prism Leisure Corporation (1993). I used to have it. It may be hard to find, but my mint copy got no bidders on ebay a couple of years ago. I later sold it privately for just ten dollars. It's not a game, it's a terribly watered-down version of the novel. They just added a few photographs and the voice of "Dr. Watson" who reads the novel to you. You're much better off with the real thing.

And the Morlov Affair! Shudder... a real eyeopener for me. I'd been collecting rare games on ebay and gametz like mad, I paid a lot for this one and it turned out to be the most awful stinker. The worst of the worst. Huuuu! I sold it again as fast as I could and I've become a different type of collector.

PS: I don't mean to imply that all the games you mentioned are bad. Not at all.

Last edited by Fien; 06-26-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Ah yes, The Hound of the Baskervilles by Prism Leisure Corporation (1993). I used to have it. It may be hard to find, but my mint copy got no bidders on ebay a couple of years ago. I later sold it privately for just ten dollars. It's not a game, it's a terribly watered-down version of the novel. They just added a few photographs and the voice of "Dr. Watson" who reads the novel to you. You're much better off with the real thing.

And the Morlov Affair! Shudder... a real eyeopener for me. I'd been collecting rare games on ebay and gametz like mad, I paid a lot for this one and it turned out to be the most awful stinker. The worst of the worst. Huuuu! I sold it again as fast as I could and I've become a different type of collector.
You are absolutely right about the lousy game HoB was!
Also, never finished Morlov (probably not enough interesting...).
But, to me, the main point in your note, is about how you respond to that...
I guess you took the healthy way...
On the contrary, I keep having pleasure on getting obscure games....
This is probably worse than the higher level of BAAGS (you know...).
So, among hundreds of games, which very probably I will never play, I keep hunting ALSO those "unplayable" ones.
Possibly they are rare because many threw them to the garbagge bin, still, even so, they are rare...
However make no mistake - I like good games!
(oh no don't ask me to define what is a good game - that should probably open another thread!)
Cheers!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #114
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragom View Post
On the contrary, I keep having pleasure on getting obscure games....
Nothing wrong with that. To be honest, I do too. But if they turn out to be really disappointing, I don't want to keep them around. For instance, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Who's Fat Lou, which is a mediocre game at best... or so I heard. But the choice between Fat Lou and Cosmology of Kyoto is easy.

Quote:
This is probably worse than the higher level of BAAGS (you know...).
So, among hundreds of games, which very probably I will never play, I keep hunting ALSO those "unplayable" ones.
Possibly they are rare because many threw them to the garbagge bin, still, even so, they are rare...
Any adventures you're especially proud of?
I treasure my Blue Heat, Puppet Motel (PC, the Mac version is not very hard to find), The Case of the Cautious Condor, Alice: An Interactive Museum, among others.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #115

I've got a really old one I never hear about. It's Treasure Island, put out by Wyndham Classics in the 80s sometime. It's a text-parser adventure game, but with graphics, and the story is right out of the book where you play Jim Hawkins. I've still got the box, the 5.25" floppy disks, and the booklet that came with it.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #116

Just curious...has anyone ever actually seen a Cosmology of Kyoto up for sale on eBay? I've spent a LOT of time on eBay in the last several years and have never seen one. I've never seen Who's Fat Lou, either. With the exception of those two, I believe I've seen just about every rare (mentioned) game out there at one point or another.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #117
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
Just curious...has anyone ever actually seen a Cosmology of Kyoto up for sale on eBay? I've spent a LOT of time on eBay in the last several years and have never seen one. I've never seen Who's Fat Lou, either. With the exception of those two, I believe I've seen just about every rare (mentioned) game out there at one point or another.
I've seen both. Twice. Once years ago, once in 2006.

I was too late to bid on the first Fat Lou, the auction had already ended. I did bid on the second one, but someone else was determined to get it. We were the only bidders.

I remember the Mac version of Cosmology of Kyoto up for sale (just the CD, nothing else), wasn't interested. Last year there was a boxed PC version on ebay, it sold for five or six hundred dollars. Too high for me. Especially since it was the blue Western box and not the much more beautiful red and white, Japanese folding box.

PS: Looked it up, CoK sold for $481.87 on 7-Oct-'06.

Last edited by Fien; 06-26-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #118

Wow. Interesting stuff. I highly doubt I will ever be the high bidder on a Cosmology of Kyoto auction!

What designer/publisher did Who's Fat Lou? I tried to find some info on it and came up with basically zip.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Any adventures you're especially proud of?
I treasure my Blue Heat, Puppet Motel (PC, the Mac version is not very hard to find), The Case of the Cautious Condor, Alice: An Interactive Museum, among others.

If you mean the so called rare, I prefer to call them "hard to find" games, I would say that feel lucky for enjoying to have a nice slice of those already mentioned in this thread (among them...Cautious Condor and Murder Makes Strange Dead Fellows, 3 Skulls, Touche, Alien Incident, Master of Dimensions, The Synnergist, Noir, Masterpieces, Chewy, Detritus, Dinotopia...King, Space and Police Quest collection series, as well as Quest for Glory collection).
From those you are proud of - and I envy you! - I just have French versions of Puppet Motel, Treasure Hunter and Kama Sutra). Grackon's Curse, Alice IM and Cassandra G. are still in the form of 'backup'...no way to reach those, so far! still my struggle, lately is to get all manuals - I bought too many games without them, in the past...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
I've got a really old one I never hear about. It's Treasure Island, put out by Wyndham Classics in the 80s sometime. It's a text-parser adventure game, but with graphics, and the story is right out of the book where you play Jim Hawkins. I've still got the box, the 5.25" floppy disks, and the booklet that came with it.
I know that one. There is the first version on Floppy, and another on CD: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, developed by Europress and published by USGOLD/Front Street Publishing, right playing Jim Hawkins.
I found my still sealed box at eBay...