You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Metronome Preview at Idle Thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #1

Default Metronome Preview at Idle Thumbs

http://www.idlethumbs.net/display.php?id=129

Quote:
What kind of game is Metronome? A lazy definition rife with genre-slotting would probably make use of the phrase “third person action game”, perhaps even venturing into such outlandish descriptions as “quirky”. The truth of the matter is that, despite immediate outward appearances, Metronome has the true spirit of an adventure game at its heart and it’s beating a very strong pulse. - A Preview by Alex Ashby
Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 PM   #2

Sounds like a very interesting game! I'll be keeping a close eye on it
Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
Your average crooner

Another case of a game announced as an adventure, but being an action game with more or less spare action elements. Another "Beyond good and evil", which is not a bad thing, but not what I'm looking for.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 AM   #4

'The City of Metronome' preview at Worthplaying
http://www.worthplaying.com/article....thread&order=0
Old 05-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

We saw Metronome yesterday (separately from the Thumbs guys). I'll hold on to my impressions for now, but it's worth noting that they do NOT have a game to show right now. What we saw was only a prototype they're showing in an attempt to secure funding. Also, they started off the presentation by saying that since we're media, they weren't going to tell us much of anything about the story, because they don't want people to know about it yet. So from my perspective, it's way too early to really know what this game is.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:57 AM   #6
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson
Another case of a game announced as an adventure, but being an action game with more or less spare action elements. Another "Beyond good and evil", which is not a bad thing, but not what I'm looking for.
It's not that I am already certain it will be what I call an Adventure, but why are you convinced it won't? In the preview, the only part referring to the actual gameplay is the following passage:
Quote:
The basic premise of this feature is that by recording sounds of throughout Metronome and then playing them back at relevant characters or areas of the environment you will be able to make progress through the city. An example of this was given in which a sleepy guard was sitting at his post next to a closed gate. Every once in a while the guard’s head would slip forward onto the gate mechanism causing it to open slightly before he would jerk back into wakefulness causing it to slam shut again. By recording the sound of a wind-up music box from a nearby dormitory and playing it to the guard at a slow speed, it would lull him into sleep until he finally slumped forward onto the gate mechanism, allowing you to continue on your way.
... which sounds as a puzzling "pure" enough for me.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I saw a different presentation of this game than Emily and what I saw was 95% puzzling, and 5% action. The action boils down to a slow-moving robot approaching you gradually, and you having to pick the right sound from your inventory to disable it. You don't have to shoot it or melee attack it or anything.

To my mind it's an adventure game that happens to be direct controlled and also has some puzzles disguised as action. Despite having the appearance of BGE, it's not like that at all. Judging from the demo, it has a Full Throttle levels of action at most.

The Metronome guys seemed very adventure literate by the way, referencing multiple adventure games during their talk. At the very least, we should not write this one off right away.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
We saw Metronome yesterday (separately from the Thumbs guys). I'll hold on to my impressions for now, but it's worth noting that they do NOT have a game to show right now. What we saw was only a prototype they're showing in an attempt to secure funding. Also, they started off the presentation by saying that since we're media, they weren't going to tell us much of anything about the story, because they don't want people to know about it yet. So from my perspective, it's way too early to really know what this game is.
You got such a crappy demo compared to ours, where they outlined the story and showed the entire demo from the perspective of it being a story and puzzle driven adventure game. The guy demoing it made comparisons to Grim Fandango and some other titles. So weird you got such a different experience.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 05-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

When was your demo? Ours was late afternoon on Day 2, so that may have had something to do with the energy levels (theirs and ours). It does sound like you guys heard different things than we did, and I obviously respect your opinions. I am excited to see where the game goes from here.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Epinionated.

Wow. Did you guys have different people demo'ing it? That's bizarre marketing.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

No, it was the same people, but the appointments were at different times.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Metronome is or was a city of creativity; a sprawling metropolis where ideas themselves are formed. That is until the Corporation (a name which instantly infers the worst kinds of bureaucratic evil) decided to get the monopoly on idea-production and enslave the souls of the city’s inhabitants for usage in their own lifeless, mechanical army. Their purpose for doing this is unclear but that is precisely what the protagonist has made his mission to find out.
Based on a true story?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:24 AM   #13

Default 'The City of Metronome' Q&A at Worthplaying

http://www.worthplaying.com/article....thread&order=0

Quote:
WP: What is the name and background of the main character in the game?

PB: Tin, the main character, is an orphan who has grown up outside of the city in the care of a chimney sweeper named Chim. All his life, Tin has been dreaming of working on a train, and the game starts on his first day at work as a ticket boy.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #14
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I think I made the mistake of telling the Metronome people that it would be best they didn't call it an adventure because that would make the publishers flee like from the plague. Well, it wasn't so much a mistake as it was a sound business suggestion.

Also, Emily is full of shit.
Spoiler:
But I love her dearly all the same.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Also, Emily is full of shit.
Spoiler:
But I love her dearly all the same.
Aww.

(E3 does strange things to people, doesn't it? )
Old 05-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #16
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Aww.

(E3 does strange things to people, doesn't it? )
He's just sleep-deprived! He'll be back to his usual AG-hatred before long, I bet!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #17
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
He's just sleep-deprived! He'll be back to his usual AG-hatred before long, I bet!
Don't give me ideas, punk.