You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #141
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I too found the Z:GI puzzle mentioned above rather fair. The entire game is more or less set up for crazy solutions, it's not that far fetched. If you got to that point in the game, IMO that concept shouldn't be alien to you...
Spoiler:
Afterall, you need to cast Kendall on the underground underground instructions, which is the same sort of warped logics of "don't try to figure it out, just use a magic spell"
Or, well, so I thought.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #142
Commander of chest

Does anyone remember, the first and in particular the second shivers. Man, I really hated some of the puzzles in it...
Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #143
kamikaze hummingbirds

I hate the zodiac thingy in Black Mirror.
And as for Riven, this is what i looked like in the middle of a puzzle>>
Old 02-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #144

Syberia 1 and 2 in general. Not because the puzzles were particularly hard, but because (especially in some parts of the game) there's a LOT of walking around if you want to try something out (the ice cave in Syberia 2 for instance and in the first game I can remember backtracking through some woods and all the way back into tow in that dream sequence - NOTHING to do until you reached the manor/factory).

Also there are several locations which serve no purpose except showing off some pretty graphics.

Why isn't there at least an option to enable you to double click on an exit point and get transported instantly? Watching Kate Walker walk (or in a light jog) isn't my idea of fun. I actually used walkthroughs in both games just because I was sick of spending 10 minutes to try out every idea I had...
Old 02-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #145
Commander of chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknaps
Watching Kate Walker walk (or in a light jog) isn't my idea of fun.
Maybe if she was more attractive.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
...the tile puzzle at the end of Rhea. I recall the solution required over 160 moves, and would have been impossible without a WT.
That puzzle in Reah was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title of this thread. When I played the game years ago, I couldn't locate a walkthrough to help, so had to resort to a save game kindly sent me by another gamer.

Hands down the most frustrating puzzle I've ever encountered -- leading to one of the stupidest endings ever!

I'm also glad to see Monkey Kombat mentioned so much in this thread. Basically because I never made it that far. Being arrow-key-challenged, I couldn't get past retrieving the milk bottle from the lava field, despite a couple weeks of trying. Finally threw in the towel and uninstalled the game. It's nice to know that I avoided even more frustration ahead by doing so.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #147
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Syberia 1 and 2 in general.

Why isn't there at least an option to enable you to double click on an exit point and get transported instantly? Watching Kate Walker walk (or in a light jog) isn't my idea of fun. I actually used walkthroughs in both games just because I was sick of spending 10 minutes to try out every idea I had...

If I remember rightly you could either double-click or press ESC or CTRL and Kate would appear at the end of the screen?
I am sure that's right because I too was very annoyed that it took so long for her to get from one end of the screen to another
Old 02-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #148
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto
Does anyone remember, the first and in particular the second shivers. Man, I really hated some of the puzzles in it...
Oh god yes, the chinese checkers puzzle thingie in shivers one. I had to walkthrough that bitch.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:06 AM   #149
Commander of chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Oh god yes, the chinese checkers puzzle thingie in shivers one. I had to walkthrough that bitch.
The real psychological horror...
Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #150
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Man at that time I was the proud owner of a 33K6 modem. I searched on the internet for a walkthru but couldn't find one. So I connected to the Sierra BBS. Took me about an hour or 2 before I found what I was looking for. I love Sierra but the Sierra BBS sucked...

Or was is just me?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #151

Quote:
Syberia 1 and 2 in general. Not because the puzzles were particularly hard, but because (especially in some parts of the game) there's a LOT of walking around if you want to try something out (the ice cave in Syberia 2 for instance and in the first game I can remember backtracking through some woods and all the way back into tow in that dream sequence - NOTHING to do until you reached the manor/factory).

Also there are several locations which serve no purpose except showing off some pretty graphics.

Syberia's all point is to let the player time to enjoy the atmosphere and the graphics.
I realise it cannot sit well with everyone, but I think the game would have lost some of its power if it had featured a double click snapping option.

Such an option in Moment of Silence would have been more than welcome, though.

Oh, and as far as frustrating puzzles go, the carrot feeding in Wanted was more than I could handle.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #152

In Grim Fandango I got really frustrated with with getting the Blue Casket hipsters to like me. I thought I had to make them like me by coming up with a good poem, so I sat there for hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I tried analyzing that women's poems and the poem about the moon, I counted syllables, I made notes on when the audience clapped, I made notes on punctuation, and I paid attention to word stress. It was horrible.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #153
Commander of chest

The....
Frustration...
Caused...By
...The sudden...
Memories...Coming back...

...Theraphy.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #154
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
In Grim Fandango I got really frustrated with with getting the Blue Casket hipsters to like me. I thought I had to make them like me by coming up with a good poem, so I sat there for hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.
I spent just as long trying to get into Olivia's "love nest". She kept saying that I couldn't go in because she "hadn't cleaned up yet", and those cleaning supplies were right there in the kitchen. But of course, Manny wouldn't pick them up.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
In Grim Fandango I got really frustrated with with getting the Blue Casket hipsters to like me. I thought I had to make them like me by coming up with a good poem, so I sat there for hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I tried analyzing that women's poems and the poem about the moon, I counted syllables, I made notes on when the audience clapped, I made notes on punctuation, and I paid attention to word stress. It was horrible.

I so hate it when I spend hours trying to figure out something useless.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 AM   #156

i spent 2 days telling poems, LMAO

i forgot about that
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #157
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Syberia's all point is to let the player time to enjoy the atmosphere and the graphics.
I realise it cannot sit well with everyone, but I think the game would have lost some of its power if it had featured a double click snapping option.
Ninth, I don't think so. Whatever makes a game more fluent and enjoyable makes it better. At least you should have the option: not everyone is masochist to see the same walking over and over again. It's like reading the same description in a book when the characters are there.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #158
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
If I remember rightly you could either double-click or press ESC or CTRL and Kate would appear at the end of the screen?
I am sure that's right because I too was very annoyed that it took so long for her to get from one end of the screen to another
I think you're thinking of The Longest Journey...? (Maybe not, it's been a long time since I played it.)

At least, Gabriel Knight 3 had this option, and it was great. I agree that all the traversing in Syberia got old.

-emily
Old 03-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson
Ninth, I don't think so. Whatever makes a game more fluent and enjoyable makes it better. At least you should have the option: not everyone is masochist to see the same walking over and over again. It's like reading the same description in a book when the characters are there.
Fair enough.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #160
Commander of chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony
Strange, that was maybe the only puzzle that I was able to beat in MK4. I would say trying to get a perfume that smells like Peghose Pete was the most rediculous puzzle ever created by a human being.
I second the perfume one, OMG it was irritating. I think the last installment of the Monkey Island series was the most frustrating one. Don't get me started on that monkey kombat.

Forgot who mentioned it, but putting the pieces of that diamant in Black Dahlia together...