You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #181
Two-Face

The door puzzle to enter the Barbershop in Shivers 2 was frustrating.

The lock puzzle in Still Life was annoying too.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakek
I think I've mentioned it before, but using the clamp and rubber duck with a bandaid from a pair of gloves to get a key in a subway always seemed silly. That's from The Longest Journey, by the way.
I really have to agree with you there. The Longest Journey was decent, but I didn't see anything truly epic about it (Compared to King's Quest and The Gabriel Knight series).

What I don't understand is why Dreamcatcher dropped the project that Jane Jensen was working on. I dislike most of their games. Coming from her, I was expecting something great and combined with Dreamcatcher's graphics...

That was a bad decision, IMO.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #183
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhaze
I dislike most of their games.
(...) Dreamcatcher's graphics...
Dreamcatcher, or The Adventure Company, are the publisher rather than developer (and, by the way, especially in America, the publisher responsible for the vast majority of adventure releases, as varied as they get nowadays).

But other than that, I agree. Project Jane-J's cancellation broke my heart, too.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #184
Funky Member

All the waiting puzzles in uru path of the shell. There are three seperate instances where you have to wait for fifteen minutes without doing anything. This would have been somewhat excusable if that was made clear to the player.

Also, that puzle in the dig where you have to assemble the turtle skeleton tas very frustrating.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #185
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by portabello
Also, that puzle in the dig where you have to assemble the turtle skeleton tas very frustrating.
The turtle puzzle made me rip my hair out in pure frustration.
Never managed to solve it.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #186
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhaze
What I don't understand is why Dreamcatcher dropped the project that Jane Jensen was working on.
One word: money.

--Josh
Old 08-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #187
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
i never bothered completing the dig cause of that puzzle...i did eventually get it done but it was what happened after that pissed me off, some monster gobbled it up in less that a second and spits the bones back out in the exact same way i found them in!

also that section in syberia where you had to get across the river to the cave, kat was pretty snobby at that bit. there was no physical reason why she couldnt pick up the oar to use as a handle apart from not wanting to get her hands muddy so she keeps picking on the special kid to do her dirty work for her, then when the lake is drained i realise there was no real need to do that cause the part where you had to walk across was only about an inch deep so all of this was just to avoid getting her shoes wet!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #188
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
i never bothered completing the dig cause of that puzzle...i did eventually get it done but it was what happened after that pissed me off, some monster gobbled it up in less that a second and spits the bones back out in the exact same way i found them in!
Heh. I'm glad I saved before completing the thing. You know that you have to
Spoiler:
put a bomb in with the bones
, right?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #189
SamNMax

Correct. It was pretty hard to complete that puzzle even when using a walkthrough. With a screenshot.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #190
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Doesn't the cursor change colour when a bone is in one of the officially allowed positions (it can be the wrong bone, but this does make positioning a lot easier)?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #191
nex

The most difficult puzzle to me is one in Syberia 2 when you have to set the old clock.Nemanja
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #192
rex
i go by rex

Tex murphy gave me alot of hard times. Specifially the brick puzzle in Overseer, I played it when i was like 12 years old and somehow got it really quickly. Last time I tried it it took me like an hour.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Black dahlia with that crystal thing.
I'd go as far as to say ANYTHING in the Black Dhalia...such a great game marred by absolutely fiendish puzzles.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Dent
The lock puzzle in Still Life was annoying too.
Is that the one in your fathers attic? I'm losing my mind trying to figure out that one!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #195
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
All the waiting puzzles in uru path of the shell. There are three seperate instances where you have to wait for fifteen minutes without doing anything. This would have been somewhat excusable if that was made clear to the player.

15 Minutes!? What kind of sorry excuse of gameplay is that supposed to be?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #196
Staff Member

I haven't read all the replies, so sorry if someones already said this, but the rocket puzzle in Myst gets my vote. For the record, Mr. Miller, not everyone is musically gifted! I spent hours on that, and it even stumped two musically inclined friends. Compared to that, the maze in selenitic was easy.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #197

The lock picking puzzle in 'Still Life' nearly had me jumping out the window. I had to read 3 separate players guides in order to get the puzzle done. It made me more angry that one of the other members of Adventure-eu.com completed the puzzle in about an hour or so.

Also, although not a puzzle as such, finding various items in 'Runaway' has almost sent me through therapy on a few occasions.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #198
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

There have been many "frustrating" puzzles mentioned so far, and I agree with most of them, although at the moment the most frustrating puzzle is in Still Life, where you have to guide the robot through the lasers

I have tried this about 10 times so far but the robot always gets zapped
Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #199

The monkey kombat in MI is what ended the game for me....its not really a puzzle, n still it takes so much time to do....just didnt wanna bother with writing down all those eek eek oop oop's.....MI4 generally was a dissapointment with the control and everything.....

The most frustating puzzle that comes to mind, is in 7th guest where u have to place some cans in right order, and they spell out a poem or something....somethng abt gypsies....i have no clue how anyone could figure out that one....

Am sure there are many more...but actions games has an easier job of pissing me off...gta f.ex......but am also not a fan of action sequences in AG's ....like in Broken Sword 3 where someone is trying to shoot u.....n the camerangle kept switcihng....i rem i had a hard time controlling the character....

I think what is most irritating is when i spend some time on a puzzle, then go look at the walkthough (i try to avoid that for the most part unless am worried its some solution that makes absolutely no sense), n then realize the puzzle was logically enough.......
Old 11-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #200
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAoTiC
The most frustating puzzle that comes to mind, is in 7th guest where u have to place some cans in right order, and they spell out a poem or something....somethng abt gypsies....i have no clue how anyone could figure out that one...
You have to look at the book in the library twice. It will give you synonyms of the words that you have to spell out.