You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #81

SPOILER

I've never actually had a problem with it, but I think it was a poor design choice for the final puzzle of EMI to have required the Monkey Kombat notes from earlier to do. I feel sorry for anyone who had thrown their notes away before the end, as there was really no reason to think to keep them. The Ps2 version has the charts, though, so I guess this is only a problem with the PC edition. I really, REALLY think it was a mistake to have the moves change from game to game. I love that last puzzle though.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #82
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I like Kyrandia's maze too, in a masochistic way. It's not that it's hard really (it was 10 years ago, though), but it's tedious. Without a map, there's no way to get out of it alive. And drawing the map takes a long time.
I wonder whether it was Kyrandia's map or Riddle of Master Lu's one that took me the longest to draw...
Riddle of Master Lu's maze was the one down note to an otherwise great game. I wouldn't have minded it so much if it didn't take so damn long for Ripley to pull the ropes, so you have to wait for that animation in every tiny little room.

Compared to that, Inherit the Earth's maze wasn't bad at all. With a sheet of graph paper it was downright simple, really.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #83

kq6's catacombs...

i didn't have the right item (the brick), so it was impossible to find a solution. i tried in vain for two years, on and off, hoping to find that secret room that would allow me to continue on with the game; not knowing i had already come to a dead end.

that's what i love about lucas arts games; they don't have dead ends.

kq6 is still my favorite game though. maybe because my childhood is tied with it. i know if i were to replay it now, a lot of memories will surface. mmm, yum.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #84
Shai-Hulud to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRogerz
The underwater alter puzzle in Longest Journey really started to piss me off after a week of toiling with it
Strange. I see a lot of people having problems with this puzzle, but I got it in like ten minutes. It was all about opposites and closing the perimeter with the gems.

The youkol village in Syberia II is chockful of puzzles that were very frustrating.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #85
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiajun
Strange. I see a lot of people having problems with this puzzle, but I got it in like ten minutes. It was all about opposites and closing the perimeter with the gems.
That one's weird. Both times I've played through the game, I've solved that puzzle accidentally, without knowing what the hell it was that I did.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #86
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Actually, I think Kyrandia has the only good maze ever in an adventure game. It wasn't as bad as maybe Inherit the Earth's. Really, how is the Kyrandian maze hard? You just write it down. You said it's hard even with a map? How is a maze hard with a map? It's not Zelda, where the map is pretty nondescript.

I mean I felt the same way when I was eight about Kyrandia, but come on.
Because of the fireberries.
Those things only lasted for a short while, and then you got attacked by some monsters and had to start over again.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #87
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Because of the fireberries.
Those things only lasted for a short while, and then you got attacked by some monsters and had to start over again.
Yeah, but as people have pointed out a bunch of times now, you can drop them and then they last forever. There's really no reason to die in the labyrinth if you figure that out.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Riddle of Master Lu's maze was the one down note to an otherwise great game. I wouldn't have minded it so much if it didn't take so damn long for Ripley to pull the ropes, so you have to wait for that animation in every tiny little room.
Yes, the rope pulling was incredibly frustrating, because it meant that even if you already had mapped the whole thing, you still had to pull rope after rope in order to get somewhere. And because it was stupid.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #89
Your average crooner

The Othello-like game in 7th Guest. Hard, hard, hard. And the pixel hunting and time puzzles in the well named "Countdown".
Old 02-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #90

I've got a number of nominations, but I'll just mention one. It's the maze in Myst. I don't understand why they had to put that in. I had to map out each route to make sure I didn't miss something or that I didn't go through places twice.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #91
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Yeah, but as people have pointed out a bunch of times now, you can drop them and then they last forever. There's really no reason to die in the labyrinth if you figure that out.
Oh, i didn´t know that.Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #92
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
I still don't see what people find illogical about the disguise puzzle in GK3. To me, the objective and resources were very clear in that part of the game.

Now, that cuckoo clock puzzle in GK2... I still don't know what that one's all about. :eek:
The disguise puzzle in GK3 was fine (although the part where you had to get the fur from the cat was a bit daft!)

Wasn't the clock puzzle in GK1 - in the attic at Gabriel's gran's house?
I can't remember a puzzle like that in GK2 (maybe I'm mistaken?)?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #93
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlglide
I know exactly what you mean about the cocktail puzzle in Syberia -- I figured it out, but the drink was always wrong anyways. So I finally went to a walkthrough only to read that the solution was what I'd already figured out and had been trying to do. And finally it worked............I don't know if it was a bug in the game or what.
Hehe The weird thing about this puzzle is that the first time I played this game I solved it after about 2 or 3 attempts.
But recently I bought The Syberia Collectors edition, which contained Syberia 1 + 2 on one DVD. I thought I would replay the first game to get me back into the mood before starting Syberia 2.
Would you believe the only problem I had with the whole game was that dammned cocktail puzzle
No matter what I did I just couldn't get the right combination, even though I had previously solved it!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #94
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I think this post should be divided into 2 halves - one called "the most frustrating puzzle" and one called "the most illogical puzzle"

There seems to be a mix of the 2 here!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #95
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat!the!champ!
... which reminds me of the underwater part in Grim Fandango. It took forever for that singing guy to walk by you. And if your idea doesn't work, you gotta wait another few minutes for him to come back. And that song! Of course, I could do a quicksave/reload, but it was annoying enough during his first couple of passes.
That was a real "bastard" of a puzzle!!
Even after consulting a dreaded walkthrough it was sooo annoying to have to wait for another attempt!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #96
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

In Grim Fandango the puzzle with the car in the forest where you have to find the correct spot to put the sign - aarrgh!!!!
And the puzzle where you have to make the machines vibrate in the right sequence!!!

Those two very nearly made me uninstall that game and throw it out my bedroom window!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #97
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Wasn't the clock puzzle in GK1 - in the attic at Gabriel's gran's house?
I can't remember a puzzle like that in GK2 (maybe I'm mistaken?)?
The cuckoo clock....I'm pretty sure that was in GK2.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #98
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney
The cuckoo clock....I'm pretty sure that was in GK2.
Please - somebody needs to to settle this

I remeber some sort of clock puzzle in GK1 - Gabe is in Granny's attic and has to set the arms of the clock to the right time in order to open the secret compartment!! I am 100% about that!!!

If there is a similar puzzle in GK2 would somebody pleeeeeeaaase let me know!!!
Maybe I'm just
Old 02-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #99
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalker
...since (unlelss you have a very good memory) pretty much all mazes are hard to escape unless you map them down yourself while playing.
Which is why mazes are generally a pointless challenge. It isn't difficult at all to map it out, and all it does is pointlessly waste paper. So what exactly is this for? Do developers hate trees or something?

Unless the maze can be memorized or has some method other than that to keep track of it, it is just stupid.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #100
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I've got a number of nominations, but I'll just mention one. It's the maze in Myst. I don't understand why they had to put that in. I had to map out each route to make sure I didn't miss something or that I didn't go through places twice.
This maze didn't require mapping.

Spoiler:
Only your ears.