You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight Games

View Poll Results: What's your favourite GK Game?
Gabriel Knight: SIns of the Fathers (GK1) 52 32.10%
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery (GK2) 34 20.99%
Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (GK3) 57 35.19%
I haven't played GK/I don't have an opinion 19 11.73%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 AM   #41

I didn't change the setting and it's still pretty playable with those lines on the screen.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 AM   #42
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Even though it's not my favourite, you should still check out GK2.
(I hope you were talking to me on this one, or this post is kinda embarassing )
Yeah, I know, and I will, if I can get my hands on it somewhere, but can't get it anywhere. I almost was able to get the collection of 1 and 2 (and some other stuff), but it was just sold away to a friend of mine... (Darn him ) But he copied 1 and I'm not sure (I believe it's not), but he might have GK2 on the CD he burned too, but it doesn't work, so... (there are some files of it too though)
Old 05-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #43
Banned User

It's a matter of taste, of course. I just never could stand those scanlines, myself...

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 05-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
(I hope you were talking to me on this one, or this post is kinda embarassing )
Heh, don't worry. I was talking to you.

Simo: I didn't even notice them the first time I played the game. I guess I wasn't use to high quality video in video games.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #45
Multi-dimensional avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayscavenger
How in the world is GK 2 last?
It's the best game ever. period.
I don't get it...oh well.
I guess not a lot of people played it, being 6 CDs long and quite old.
I actually never played GK2 until a day or two ago. I was boycotting Sierra with a few people after they didn't want to make QFG5. Anyway, I found GK2 to be a great game; my only problem with it was some of the acting, like Joanne Takahashi. In the beginning, she was way too angry. Acting's all about subtlety, not "GRRRRR! I'M MAD!" then "*GASP*! I'M SO SURPRISED!"

As for the 6 CD's ... "interactive movies" were all the rage in the mid 1990's, so 6-7 CD's was no big deal. Anyone remember Origin's Space sim "Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom"? It was also 6 CD's, but apparently, Origin released a limited edition dual sided DVD. I bought it off ebay last week and got it in the mail today. Would have been nice if Sierra had done the same thing for GK2, eh?
Old 05-05-2004, 02:13 PM   #46
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish
As for the 6 CD's ... "interactive movies" were all the rage in the mid 1990's, so 6-7 CD's was no big deal. Anyone remember Origin's Space sim "Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom"? It was also 6 CD's, but apparently, Origin released a limited edition dual sided DVD. I bought it off ebay last week and got it in the mail today. Would have been nice if Sierra had done the same thing for GK2, eh?
Does this DVD version of WC4 have better quality video or is it the same?

--Erwin
Old 05-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish
Anyone remember Origin's Space sim "Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom"? It was also 6 CD's, but apparently, Origin released a limited edition dual sided DVD.
Yeah, they released a limited edition dual sided DVD that SCREWS UP AT THE SECOND VIDEO FILE WHENEVER I TRY TO PLAY IT. Grrrrrrr.

Oh, and the DVD version does have much higher quality video than the original.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #48
Multi-dimensional avatar

Not to get off track to the main subject Gabriel Knight, the best game series of all time, but for those of you having trouble with Wing Commander 4 DVD, go here:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread...8&page=1&pp=50

I just started playing GK3 today. The problem with it is, it's a fairly early 3D game, so the graphics look dated, maybe even uncomfortable. I was getting Meridian 59 flashbacks to be quite honest. Let's just say arguendo that Sierra re-released GK3 with today's 3d graphics; nobody would find a reason to complain about it. As always GK has a very strong story.

I'd have liked GK3 better had it looked like GK2 or even GK1, excuse me if I sound weird for that. Please don't confuse this small critique for dislike for the game, I really like it!

Last edited by Dervish; 05-05-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:33 AM   #49

That fix worked! You just made my day, if not my millenium. I've been waiting to play Wing IV for about eight years now!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:23 AM   #50

havent played em.. but want to!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:37 AM   #51
Multi-dimensional avatar

Deviant,

I bought a Gabriel Knight Mysteries package on ebay. It shows up occasionally, just be sure to search regularly.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:51 AM   #52

That collection doesn't have GK3 though. You may be able to find GK3 in the re-released box at game stores still.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:53 AM   #53
Multi-dimensional avatar

Well it's a good start anyway When I bought mysteries, GK3 was included with it.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:55 AM   #54

Really? They may have re-released it. Was GK3 actually in the box or attached to it in a seperate box. I bought the Gabriel Knight Mysteries box in 1998 or early 1999 and it had GK1, GK2, the soundtrack CD, GK3 trailer, GK3 graphic novel, and the Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers book.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:04 AM   #55
Multi-dimensional avatar

I apologize, I didn't mean to be vague. I bought Mysteries, and the fellow on ebay included GK3 for me. Sometimes you get deals like that on ebay, where you can buy an entire series in one shot.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:14 AM   #56

Ah, okay. I get what you mean. How much did it cost? (Whatever it cost, it's worth it. )
Old 05-06-2004, 07:08 AM   #57
Multi-dimensional avatar

$51 US dollars, plus 3-5 for shipping (I can't remember exactly). I'm sure people out there got better deals, but it was worth it.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:10 AM   #58

That's not too shabby.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #59
Sierra Fanatic

Gabriel Knight 1 was very fun and is an exceptional game. I actually cannot think of one thing that's wrong with it.

Gabriel Knight 2, I feel, was also very good, but suffered from a VERY small amount of bad acting by Grace (there were some points where she was trying to look interested or surprised and I just didn't believe it). Also, some of the backgrounds were a little unimpressive, but otherwise, I really liked the story.

Allow me to now go on a tangent about Gabriel Knight 3, my favorite game of all time. The interface is one I have never seen before or since and it was amazing. Being able to move in 3d without the character and examine everything just seemed to really bring the 2d adventure feel to 3D. The voice acting is superb and the story is the greatest I have yet to see in any game. When I first played the game, I found the graphics to be awesome, though a play through later on (2003), showed that the graphics were not exactly what I remember, but it was released 6 years ago, so they're still pretty good. And I absolutely love the music.

So, I will say GK3 is the best.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #60

I think the G-Engine that's used in GK3 is awesome. It would be cool if other developers used a similar interface. The interface is nice and easy to use and the camera is awesome.