You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight Games

View Poll Results: What's your favourite GK Game?
Gabriel Knight: SIns of the Fathers (GK1) 52 32.10%
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery (GK2) 34 20.99%
Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (GK3) 57 35.19%
I haven't played GK/I don't have an opinion 19 11.73%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #81

I loved Gabriel Knight 2, mostly because of Van Glower, I liked Gabriel Knight 3, because ... it's good, and I thought Gabriel Knight 1 was annoying, because I often didn't know what I was supposed to do, running around from location to location without a sense of purpose.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:26 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I loved Gabriel Knight 2, mostly because of Van Glower, I liked Gabriel Knight 3, because ... it's good, and I thought Gabriel Knight 1 was annoying, because I often didn't know what I was supposed to do, running around from location to location without a sense of purpose.
Not to mention that the French translation of GK1 is probably the worst game translation that I've ever seen. Might that be the reason?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:29 AM   #83

I've only played the third one and loved it. I'm on the lookout for 1 & 2.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM   #84

For SeraphOO and Jeenius, and anyone else wanting Gabriel Knights I + II, try the following hyper-link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...venturegame-20

Antoinetta
Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #85
Penguin liberator

Send a message via AIM to seraph00 Send a message via Yahoo to seraph00
Default youch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
For SeraphOO and Jeenius, and anyone else wanting Gabriel Knights I + II, try the following hyper-link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...venturegame-20

Antoinetta

Youch! $75.00 for the set of both the first and second games? I can understand them being rare or collectable, but $75.00? If it were a complete set of all 3 games on DVD-Rom and every bit of animation from all 3 games had been completely remade by LucasArts or Disney I could see paying that much, but otherwise, wow....that's just way too expensive.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:06 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph00
Youch! $75.00 for the set of both the first and second games? I can understand them being rare or collectable, but $75.00? If it were a complete set of all 3 games on DVD-Rom and every bit of animation from all 3 games had been completely remade by LucasArts or Disney I could see paying that much, but otherwise, wow....that's just way too expensive.
The Mystery edition is enough rare to get the price that high! You can still find separate games in cheaper edition (only cd & manual or similar) on ebay at lower prices.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:57 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendroz
Not to mention that the French translation of GK1 is probably the worst game translation that I've ever seen. Might that be the reason?
Nope, I played it in english. Actually, I think it's the only one I played in english.
Speaking of french translations, the Moment of Silence's one almost ruined the game for me. Thanks guy, what I really wanted was hear "Bruce Willis"'s stupid voice on my computer. I really doesn't make the main character's lack of charism more appealing.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #88
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen
I love GK2 to bits, but GK3 is the better game, I feel. There's more freedom in every sense, there's more replayability (more non-essential as well as essential stuff to do), an infinite amount of camera angles, infinitely improved, fully dynamic sound world... And one heck of an impressive overall game design. To me, it's just the most immersive of the three games.
I have to agree with that - GK2 is a great game and I have grown to appreciate Dean Erickson in the role of Gabe - granted he's no Tim Curry, but in an FMV game I think he fits the role perfectly.

GK1 is a good game in its own right, especially because of the interesting voodoo storyline, although the gameplay is a bit awwkward and half the time you arent really sure where you are supposed to be going or speaking to.
It plays a lot better if you've read the novel (which is supplied with GK mysteries limited edtion - this consists of all 3 games + novel of 1st game)

Out of the 3 though, the last game has to be the best!
It is a thoroughly engrossing adventure game with many interesting facts about The Knights Templar and the mystery surrounding their lost treasure, + the 3D gameplay adds a whole new perspective
Old 01-15-2005, 04:09 AM   #89
Commander of chest

Default Definitely GK1

Gabriel Knight 1: sins of the fathers was the best game in the series. period.

The sequel that featured an interactive movie pleased me as well.

In the third one, you had to play one timeblock to another and this got me frustrated several times because I occasionally missed (overlooked) several items that consisted of a few unclear pixels in the revolutionary 3D world created. Storyline was great, though could use a little more punch instead of platform action, especially in the end.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #90
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto
In the third one, you had to play one timeblock to another and this got me frustrated several times because I occasionally missed (overlooked) several items that consisted of a few unclear pixels in the revolutionary 3D world created. Storyline was great, though could use a little more punch instead of platform action, especially in the end.
I quite enjoyed that aspect of the game, although the pixel hunting was a little annoying, especially when you were trying to find a hotspot through the binoculars!
With regards to the final stage of the game - I must admit that the platform aspect had me really frustrated - the damn chessboard puzzle and the end fight against the beast were replayed about 5 times

In the end though, the storyline and outcome more than made up for those problems.
I just wish that there could have been another game involving Gabe and Grace
Old 01-15-2005, 03:37 PM   #91

"With regards to the final stage of the game - I must admit that the platform aspect had me really frustrated - the damn chessboard puzzle and the end fight against the beast were replayed about 5 times" Posted by ManHunter71

Unfortunately, this "platform aspect" is central to the gameplay of the very last day/time segment of each of the three Gabriel Knight games. I consider this to be the only real flaw in what otherwise were first-rate games; I have never heard any convincing reason as to why Jane Jensen felt it necessary to conclude each game in this way.

Antoinetta
Old 01-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #92
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Unfortunately, this "platform aspect" is central to the gameplay of the very last day/time segment of each of the three Gabriel Knight games. I consider this to be the only real flaw in what otherwise were first-rate games; I have never heard any convincing reason as to why Jane Jensen felt it necessary to conclude each game in this way.

Antoinetta
Oh God! I'd totally forgotten about the Werewolf fight at the end of GK2 - that was one of the most annoying experiences I've ever had

I knew what I was supposed to do but timing it right and doing things in the correct order made me want to pick up my keyboard and throw it out my bedroom window!!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:33 PM   #93
Jane Jensen fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Oh God! I'd totally forgotten about the Werewolf fight at the end of GK2 - that was one of the most annoying experiences I've ever had

I knew what I was supposed to do but timing it right and doing things in the correct order made me want to pick up my keyboard and throw it out my bedroom window!!
The platform aspect in GK3 was much worse when it comes to problems with the controls. I didn't think that the GK2 sequence in the basement was hard to perform, when I finally figured out what to do. In GK3, I realized the solution almost immediately, but still died what felt like a million times before getting the timing right.

Otherwise, I think that GK3 has the superior control system.

Did GK1 have an ending like that too? I can't remember.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #94
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceNakimura

Did GK1 have an ending like that too? I can't remember.
And you call yourself a Jane Jensen fan

As far as I can remember I think it was something to do with stabbing some voodoo queen with a knife or using the Schattenjaeger amulet?
It's been a long time
Old 01-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #95
fov
Rattenmonster

There is also the mummy arcade sequence near the end of GK1 (but not on the last day).

I have seen the GK Mysteries pack sell for much less than $75 on ebay. Prices on Amazon tend to be a lot higher than on ebay (and I don't know if they actually sell at those high prices or not). A game is only worth what someone's willing to pay...

-emily
Old 01-16-2005, 03:39 AM   #96
Jane Jensen fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
And you call yourself a Jane Jensen fan
Blushing...
Old 01-16-2005, 03:48 AM   #97
Commander of chest

Default Endings

Quote:
Totally agreed

Gabriel Knight still continues to be one of the most intriguing adventure games I've ever played. Still in the end there seems to be something missing. Can't wait for another chapter to prove me wrong.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #98
Shai-Hulud to you

just a post from this lurker, yours truly:

You might as well stop waiting. Over the Gk boards there have some many discussions with sierra ex-executives, designers, people on the inside at Sierra (or what's left of it), between forumites, some input from Jane herself,etc. Te point is a GK4 has pretty much a nill chance of ever appearing. Sad fact, because it's my favorite game series ever.

My fav one is Gk1, just because it drips with atmosphere everywhere, I even like the narrator which the rest of the world mostly hates. I got so interested in the story and the voodoo things I wrote a paper on the religion, for school, bought several books, read up inmense amounts of info, etc. No other game or book has ever had that impact on me. Gk2 and Gk3 are tied in second place.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #99
professional recluse

How much of a difference does playing them in order make? I've never played any because I have never yet been able to find the first two at prices I can afford, but I see the third one sometimes. It goes against my inate obsessive compulsive insticts to play out of order, but if it doesn't make too big of a difference, I suppose I could make a sacrifice for an adventure classic..
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons... or turquoises... especially when they put their heads in their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they DIE...
Old 01-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
How much of a difference does playing them in order make? I've never played any because I have never yet been able to find the first two at prices I can afford, but I see the third one sometimes. It goes against my inate obsessive compulsive insticts to play out of order, but if it doesn't make too big of a difference, I suppose I could make a sacrifice for an adventure classic..
I'd say it doesn't matter that much if you play the Gabriel Knights in order or not.
I played 2, then ... I can't remember... Well, I started with 2 anyway, and it didn't bother me at all.