You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight Games

View Poll Results: What's your favourite GK Game?
Gabriel Knight: SIns of the Fathers (GK1) 52 32.10%
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery (GK2) 34 20.99%
Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned (GK3) 57 35.19%
I haven't played GK/I don't have an opinion 19 11.73%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #61
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK2901
Being able to move in 3d without the character and examine everything just seemed to really bring the 2d adventure feel to 3D.
Funny, because for me it was one of the reasons I was put off. First of all, it's not very realistic, secondly it reminded me of FPS games in which you can always float when you're dead, but the most important reason:

It allowed me to see the borders of the game world. It wasn't longer a mystery what's behind that wall or that house. Instead you're confronted with the fact that there's NOTHING behind it at all, that the gameworld is just an empty 3D model. That just killed the suspension of disbelief.

--Erwin
Old 05-07-2004, 10:28 PM   #62

I LOVE GK1 so much. it is everything i love about adventure games.

On the other hand, i truly hated GK2, haha. That game was 1-2 weeks of constant irritation. I had to finish it, because i loved the 1st one so much, and wanted to go through the series.

I played less than 1/3 of GK3. LOVE it so far, but it gives me motion sickness. i am honestly torn apart by it, because i want to finish the game so badly
Old 05-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #63
Schättenjager

Default GK Triology

Well,simply third game worst looking,second game best looking and first game
best playing..
Old 05-08-2004, 05:36 AM   #64
Multi-dimensional avatar

Has anyone checked on the GK series on imdb.com? The actors and actresses in GK1 have considerable acting experience. Unfortunately though, the actresses who played Tetelo and Gerde in GK1 have passed away
Old 05-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #65

Damn.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish
Has anyone checked on the GK series on imdb.com? The actors and actresses in GK1 have considerable acting experience. Unfortunately though, the actresses who played Tetelo and Gerde in GK1 have passed away
imdb.com mentions that Mary Kay Bergman, the actress who played Gerde, killed herself. I thought she had a decent career, does anyone know why she did it? Check out her profile from imdb.com:

http://www.us.imdb.com/name/nm0074834/
Old 05-09-2004, 12:05 AM   #67
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

As her profile says in imdb, she suffered from deep depression that none of her friends knew about before she took her on life with a gun.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #68

Default Gk2

There all excelent games, but if I had to choose it would be GK2... very easy logic, but exclent story telling

Andrew
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #69

After playing and beating them all in a three month period I must say that I still believe Gabriel Knight 1 is the best.

Gabriel Knight 3 suffers from a problem that really bothers me: it takes too long to encompass the player in the mystery, occupying him with mundane tasks (and the stupidiest puzzle ever, the Mosely mustache thing) and throw everything at you at once near the end, via cutscenes that, albeit interesting, would feel better if they were an actual part of the game. I also disliked the whole "the beginning of the story is in the comic book" - I think the fact that Price James's son is kidnapped should be in the actual game.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but it is below GK1 in my opinion. The ending did send shivers down my spine, though.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:26 AM   #70
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardi
Gabriel Knight 3 suffers from a problem that really bothers me: it takes too long to encompass the player in the mystery, occupying him with mundane tasks (and the stupidiest puzzle ever, the Mosely mustache thing) and throw everything at you at once near the end, via cutscenes that, albeit interesting, would feel better if they were an actual part of the game. I also disliked the whole "the beginning of the story is in the comic book" - I think the fact that Price James's son is kidnapped should be in the actual game.
I found the comic book cool. I see what you mean, though - I was more anxious to play as Grace than as Gabriel - but I still think the balance was maintained...

Sidney was great. I remember at one point I read about Stonehenge, which had nothing to do with the actual mystery.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:48 AM   #71
Oh no he is purple

Send a message via MSN to Nude

Gabriel knight 2 and Tex murphy pandora directive are my all thime best adventure games... I also enjoyed GK 3 but at that time i think they were experimenting with 3d models and world so 3d for the game in addition to movement didnt work for me. I enjoyed GK 1 but not as much as others. maybe I should play it again soon... cheers
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #72
DAVE

GK2 was an abortion. No Tim Curry means it just ain't Gabe. Now, 3 was the best. It just had everything. A dark mistery, scary parts, murders, one of the best stories in games ever. It takes the prize of the best of the three, definitely.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #73
Oh no he is purple

Send a message via MSN to Nude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
GK2 was an abortion. No Tim Curry means it just ain't Gabe. Now, 3 was the best. It just had everything. A dark mistery, scary parts, murders, one of the best stories in games ever. It takes the prize of the best of the three, definitely.
I think the actor playing gabe in 2 was great (the best fitting actor in a game other than chris jones of tex murphy) cant remember his name though... and I really didnt like tim curry's voice in the 3rd game. anyway all of the gk games are great and highly recommended for newcomes to the genre...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #74
DAVE

Dean Erickson I think, and his voice was so damn wimpy by comparison. Curry was way funnier.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #75

Curry's voice acting in Gabriel Knight III at one point is so bad its good; I still get a chuckle when Gabriel, after donning the infamous Mosely disguise, rents the motorbike. But definately, while Erickson was OK, Curry is the definitive Gabriel Knight.

Antoinetta
Old 01-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
While GK2 is not an abortion, it is admittededly a game that has never set easy with me. Regardless, I agree however, Catbert, with your assesment of GK3. I played the first 1/3 again lately (4th play through and the closest I've ever come to descending into fanboy diddling) and it was as intriguing and enigmatic as ever. Jensen really nailed the "setting as character" element with this splendid game.

Also, to all those who claim the acting in GK3 offends their delicate sensilbities, try playing under A Killing Moon sometimes, just for a reference point. Sheesh..... lots of pizza delivery people given 20 bucks and half a page of lines. I swear there were a couple of strippers in the mix plus some cement truck drivers drafted as talent.

All in all, the GK's are perfectly fine acting wise.

Last edited by scout; 01-05-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:03 AM   #77
Penguin liberator

Send a message via AIM to seraph00 Send a message via Yahoo to seraph00
Default right on

The entire series was awesome. Arguably the best adventure games ever made, even compared to some of the top games out today. I personally liked Sins of the fathers best, but the other two were quite awesome as well. However, I don't currently have a copy of any of them. Would anyone be able to point me in a good direction for a place to look for getting copies of any of them? I can't even seem to find a store online that sells them. I know they are an awesome series of games that appeal a lot to some collectors, but i'm not made of money, so spending like $250.00 on eBay for a copy of Sins of the fathers is a bit too high of a price for me to afford. I would really like to find copies of all 3 of those games so I could sit and play through them all over again. Any help or suggestions anyone?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #78
Jane Jensen fan

I think GK3 is the best one, but the other ones come really close. I'm currenty replaying GK2 and I had forgotten how great it was. The atmosphere is awsome!

Going back to GK3 again, I believe that the reason I like it the best is because you have gotten to know the main characters through the other games. I would probably not had cared as much for Gabe, Grace and Mosely if I hadn't played GK1 and GK2 before GK3. Another reason I have for choosing GK3 as the best is because Grace is so cool in that one. I love to hear her comments about paintings and stuff that has nothing to do with solving the puzzles.

The only thing that bothers me in GK3 is the "action parts" in the ending. It was easy enough to figure out what to do, but to actually do it was a completely different matter. I don't mind the "Mosely mustache" puzzle at all.

About Tim Curry vs. Dean Erickson, I agree that Curry's voice is better suited for Gabriel's character, even though I hated it in the beginning. I don't think Dean is doing a bad job, however.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #79
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen
I vote GK3. It's the pinnacle of adventure gaming design so far; the best achievement in interactive storytelling.
I totally agree - GK3 is the ultimate combination of storytelling + adventure game!
The characters are amazing and the storyline is as compelling as any you would find written by the best of today's authors!

Jane Jensen is an excellent writer, and if you have any doubts then try reading Dante's Equation!!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #80
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C.
The storyline that Jane Jensen has mentioned about the creepy haunting also sounds awesome. Project Jane-J sounds like it's going to be awesome, but I hope the interface won't feel like a step backwards from the awesome 3D interface GK3 had.
Bring it on!!!
I can't wait for this game - if it is ever published it is sure to be a winner, and hopefully it won't matter what the interface is like - all the GK games were different (GK1 - 2D, GK2 - FMV, GK3 - 3D) and they were all great games with great storylines and great playability!

If this new game has anywhere near a storyline as god as her previous ones then I will surely be buying it!!