You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Syberia - games with a similar atmosphere?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Default Syberia - games with a similar atmosphere?

Syberia has to be one of my favourite adventure games, but can anyone please recommend any point and click games with a similar 'feel'? IE a fairly 'quiet' and lonely atmosphere with some eye-popping visuals, along with good puzzles and an involving story?

Yes, I've played Syberia II.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Replicant

Hm, there are not many games like Syberia from my experience... it really is a unique experience. That said I haven't played some of Benoit Sokai's other games like Paradise and Sinking Island so they might be worth a try as Sokai is known for his unique style (reviews of those games should be on this site).

Not really like Syberia but oddly enough I found Gray Matter (a totally different game I know) to have that sort of quiet, moody atmosphere. Even in populated areas like Oxford the streets were very quiet and there were some enchanting settings in the game like Timmons Park and Christ Church College.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

Keepsake
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #4

Another vote for Keepsake! Full of loneliness, reminiscences, melancoly ... but I really like it!

The "quiet and lonely " and the puzzles say one thing: Myst games.

Journey to the center of the Earth is pretty lonely and also Return to Mysterious island games (but instead of the Yuki, you got Jep ) ...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant909 View Post
Syberia has to be one of my favourite adventure games... Yes, I've played Syberia II.
I reckon it's time for you to play your third adventure game .
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
I reckon it's time for you to play your third adventure game .
Don't get me wrong, I've played loads of adventure games over years, but none have been as evocative for Syberia for me.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions so far.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Has to be Longest Journey for me ...
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallandro View Post
Has to be Longest Journey for me ...
I ought to play that again - I enjoyed it, but for my own tastes it wasn't as good as Syberia.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #9

The Book of Unwritten Tales, fresh from the oven.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
I tried the demo of that but couldn't get into it - it just wasn't my cup of tea. A bit too 'light' for my tastes I guess.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Nah, too light and cartoony. It doesn't have the wondrous yet somber atmosphere of Syberia.

There really are very few games with Syberia's atmosphere. It's closer in spirit to the Myst games than any other 3rd person game.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

Would die for a Still Life mixed with Syberia mixed with Book of Unwritten Tales. (Just realized this should of been mentioned in the Adventure Game theme thread too.)

Syberia has a VERY unique feel to it. From the gray, depressing atmosphere to the architectural design familiar to the developer's homeland and culture. They chose not to make anything that all that looked reminisent of our own lifestyle. Even the village buildings looked unique. Thats probably why we haven't had a game that satisfied our thirsts like Syberia did.

Syberia felt fantastical without going to far out of the way of being complete fantasy. It felt a little romantic in terms of our connection with the world.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #13

Some good observations there, although I'd have to say that only onepart of Syberia was grey and depressing for me, and that's Komkolzgrad.

As for 'nice' locations, I really loved Valadilene.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #14

Though I haven't even gotten halfway through The Whispered World, it does have that general melancholy to it although the colors are far more vibrant and rich with a wider palette. That's not to say Syberia's visuals are subpar, but rather they fit the story and mood of a desolate environment.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
Replicant

Yeah, The Whispered World has a beautiful setting and world - and mystical, at least until one of the characters opens his or her mouth then it becomes a lot more lighthearted/comical.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
Filmfreak

Stuart mentioned Paradise (also by Benoît Sokal). While that has Sokal's same unique visual style, I found that game to be boring as hell. Don't know about Sinking Island, though, never played it.
Apparently (according to the Wikipedia), Sokal's working on Syberia III, due to be released in 2012, but I'm not sure on how accurate this info is.

If you haven't played it, you might consider The Dig by LucasArts. It's old (1995) and the visuals were a bit dated even back then, but the cutscenes were awesome. For the most part of that game there were only three characters and you were definitely alone a lot, so it certainly falls in your "quiet and lonely"-category. And it has one of the best soundtracks ever made for a game, that definitely adds a lot to the atmosphere. It's one of my favourite games, but it wasn't generally so well-liked (at least not compared to other LucasArts games), so take my opinion with a grain of salt...
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Stuart mentioned Paradise (also by Benoît Sokal). While that has Sokal's same unique visual style, I found that game to be boring as hell. Don't know about Sinking Island, though, never played it.
Apparently (according to the Wikipedia), Sokal's working on Syberia III, due to be released in 2012, but I'm not sure on how accurate this info is.
Afraid that's out of date - and from reading around, it looks like any 'Syberia III' created by Sokal would be very different from Syberia/Syberia II (seems he wants a more 3D environment).

Good suggestion re The Dig - I've played that (many years ago) and enjoyed it.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #18

going from 2d to 3d shouldn't be different. The same artistic direction should be kept the same.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #19

@Irongiant:i'm with Monolith on this.the whole game had a sense of loneliness and depression or at least in it's locations.most locations had that greyish tone in their colours.Not too many people around and in many places you can feel the coldness from the steel around from hans's inventions.
don't get me wrong here i love the Syberia games and the style they represent.and one of the reasons i do is that they convey that depression and loneliness so well.

i don't know how many of you feel the same about this but i think that most of us play ags alone which might resonate on some level with that lonely type of setting..making it easier to be immersed.And if the weather is along those lines the feeling gets amplified.I find that those days the only thing i want to do is play that kind of game.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #20

Is it even possible to play an AGs with other people? I find myself not understanding the story or missing bits since these games rely so much on dialogue and story. lol

Last edited by Monolith; 11-08-2011 at 03:15 AM.