You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Introduction- Request help in Adventure Game search

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Default Introduction- Request help in Adventure Game search

Peace!
This is Shawn- lifetime adventure gamer. I am also a collector of classic arcade games (with my wife Meg) We own High Scores Vintage Arcade Museum in Burlington NJ.

Both of us are long-time gamers when it comes to arcade games- but I am also a lifetime fan of Adventure games- everything from Pre-Zork to Post-Heavy Rain...

There is a lot of information available that has helped me to recover my favorite arcade games from the early eighties- but there is less on the PC Adventure games I loved as a kid in the early nineties... so I was hoping someone could help me remember a title I played which was good not great, but left an impression...
I am looking for the title of a PC adventure game which was less popular than the Sierra online and LucasArts games of the time. I bought it (for less money than a Sierra game) sometime between 1991-1993-probably closer to 91, at an Electronics Boutique. . It was a hero game, somewhat like Hero Quest series games but much more generic, much less production value. I didn't recognize the name of its publisher and the packaging wasn't as good as say a Kings Quest game.

The only thing I can remember about it was that in the beginning there was a forest with green trees that had an unusual sorta-3D vibe when you were traveling through them. the Hero, (blonde, maybe) kinda Conanish, but skinnier, and more Knights at the Round Table time, arrives at a castle. there, he is thrown into a jail and there may be someone there with him. I didn't play it long before returning it for some other game. I'm sure it was sub-par at best, but this has haunted me a long time and I need to get out of the jail or pit.

I'm sure that there are other people out there that know this game... less popular developer than Sierra, but an adventure game none the less...any ideas? Thanks.

Shawn
Old 06-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

Lure of the Temptress?

It is a 1991 release so fits the time period and you do get thrown in prison at the start. There main USP was the "Living Theatre" arrangement whereby non player characters moved around as if they had lives of their own. Also there was a character you met in the dungeon that you could instruct to perform tasks for you.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Psychonaut

I though maybe it was one of the Quest for Glory games but they were Sierra and don't remember getting tossed in jail in the first one.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/quest-...t-to-be-a-hero
Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Psychonaut

Or it could be Curse of Enchantria

http://www.mobygames.com/game/curse-of-enchantia
Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Lure of the Temptress?

It is a 1991 release so fits the time period and you do get thrown in prison at the start. There main USP was the "Living Theatre" arrangement whereby non player characters moved around as if they had lives of their own. Also there was a character you met in the dungeon that you could instruct to perform tasks for you.
there isn't a green forest in the intro of Lure from what i remember.... only a couple of rundown trees in the night with lots of horsemen around

and also @High Scores Arcade:when you say 3D vibe you mean like 2.5D?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Could it be "Obitus"?
It fits your description almost perfectly and while not an adventure game per se, it has a lot of adventure elements.
Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVYCGX63sao
Old 06-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks! I checked out the links... still no luck... the production values were way lower than Temptress, and Obitus was something like it, but not it. The images I remember most about the game was I was a hero (possibly with longish blonde hair) and it was night- dark, and I had to move through areas with trees in the dark. When i arrived at a castle I had an interaction with someone and I was thrown into a jail/pit. Or I feel. There may have been another character down there. The part with the trees was not true 3d... I believe this was a third person game closer to Sierra games-- but the low budget version- That's all I got- still searching- thanks for trying to help
Peace!

Shawn
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I'm positive it's Eternam

http://www.mobygames.com/game/eternam
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Wow! That just might be it!!! How can I find more information about this game to be sure? And does anyone know how I could pay to play it again?? Thanks
Shawn
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #10

I Downloaded "Eternam" but how could I run it on a macbook pro- a Dos Emulator of some kind of guessing?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

It has to be Eternam, not many options left. The games goes back and forth between a pseudo-3D world (which would explain your impression of the strange trees) and the first location you visit is a castle, with a prison. And the protagonist is blonde and looks like a warrior.

Sounds like bingo to me

Try Boxer for the Mac. It's DOS Heaven: http://boxer.washboardabs.net/
Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #12

THANKYOU... I think this is it! Im going to look into running it...
Shawn