You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Default Alpha Polaris

Funny enough, i couldn't find the thread for it.

Alpha Polaris, horror game aspiring to be "The Thing" among adventures, is coming in less than a month, on June 24th, both in German and English.

German demo is up for the download.

I like the crisp backgrounds but somehow i don't dig character close-ups, although that couldn't hurt much if story, puzzles... turn out to be ok.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #2

This is very very interesting. Please get a good English translation. :crossfingers:
Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #3

the cartoony closeups do seem a bit odd, that works on something like the DS which has a small screen so needs a closeup to really see the characters, but on a PC game it's just... odd. in fact at first glance I thought the screenshot you included in your post actually had three different characters in it
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
DirectX Developer

It looks interesting

Thanks a lot for posting this Diego, I'll keep an eye on this game
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #5

Good to hear you are interested!

Originally, we thought we would not get to do voice acting, so we opted for elaborate dialogue pictures instead. The cartoony style was chosen to soften up the 3D scenes.

The game was originally written to English, so the German version is actually a translation.

I think the voices turned out great, but maybe I'm biased.

We'll work to get the English demo out ASAP.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
DirectX Developer

Thanks a lot for dubbing the game Temesis , I know that's something very expensive to do but I really appreciate dub in games

I've checking the web and definitely looking forward to playing the game .

If I have understood correctly, the game is going to be released only digitally?, at least initially, or am I wrong?. I've been searching in your web but I was unable to find any info about payment, are You going to accept Paypal?, Any hint about the price?

Thanks

Last edited by zenger; 05-26-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #7

Turmoil Games is going to sell the game digitally, but at least German version is going to be boxed. I can't say for sure if there's going to be an English boxed version.

The price will be about 25 euros.

Yeah, voices add a lot to the atmosphere and to characters.

EDIT: And oh, we will support PayPal
Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
DirectX Developer

Great , thanks Temesis
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #9

Here's the Alpha Polaris English Demo, freshly uploaded to Gamefront:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20368132/AP_DEMO_EN_exe

Let us know what you think.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Whoa, I've never heard of this before but it looks really cool! I'll play anything that aspires to be The Thing.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #11

Temesis... Any chance to see the game on Steam ?!?! Steam has a huge install base and when there's a new release many of its user jump ship and buy the game... especially if there's some sort of a discount...
Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #12

There's a chance to see Alpha Polaris in Steam in the future, but I can't unfortunately say for sure or when. Steam is pretty picky on adventure games...
Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #13

Well.. I don't know how picky Valve are, but Lost Horizon has been there almost since day 1... All the Telltale games are there, Runaway 1, 2, 3... The Next Big Thing, etc... Steam's really good for Indy developers. And Valve is usually willing to help with promotion...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #14

Setting up your indie game on STEAM with Valve is a LOT more complicated than you might think it is.

It would however be a good thing if this option becomes available for this and other games from this developer.

Last edited by Jaesun; 05-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Just played the demo and I really enjoyed it, a good build-up of atmosphere in a very short time. Solid voicework and writing as well. I'm definitely going to get this when it comes out next month.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #16

Jaesun is right: Steam is a very sought after marketplace. Getting your game there is not just a matter of choice. But you are right, it would be great to see Alpha Polaris there.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #17
J.H
Frak.

Jesus the cartoon close up's are terrible, I don't see why every adventure game of late needs to have a portrait art of some kind when a conversation is taking place.

Other than that thought this game looks very promising. Been following it since it first began production.

P.S. Not terrible in the way they're drawn, it just doesn't feel right having 2D portraits in a 3D game. Especially the way they're positioned, it's like having Tyler Dudren flash up mid conversation. But I do love this game.

Last edited by J.H; 05-27-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #18

I just tried the demo a little bit. I LOVE this! I was honestly not expecting such a good quality of a demo. Graphics are great, music and voice over good and the writing are also good. This is now on my games I am looking forward to.

I also agree as the poster above mentioned, for the 2d portraits. Your 2D artwork is GREAT, it just doesn't seem fitting? It's just an odd combo of the 3D game (which already looks fantastic) with 2D portraits. And to be completely honest, I would just scrap all the 2D art and you guys should do an entire game with that 2D art. It is VERY good and I like that style. You have a very talented 2D art team.

Anyways you and your team Temesis, have done a fantastic job on a wonderful and interesting game. Now off to finish the demo.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

I have been waiting for this game for quite a time. The settings of the game interestingly makes it a good for both summers and winters. Nice to see a lot of snow/ice in these hot summer days.

Downloading the English Demo now. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
Setting up your indie game on STEAM with Valve is a LOT more complicated than you might think it is.

It would however be a good thing if this option becomes available for this and other games from this developer.

I am not saying it's an easy thing to do. What I'm saying is that there are tons of indie games on Steam and new indie games show up every week. It's great exposure for the genre as a whole, because the community is huge.