You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #41

A sequel is definitely a possibility! Although Rune could travel to some warm countries for a chance.

I think the future of Alpha Polaris looks bright, but of course there are always things you can do better next time!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #42

I played the demo, and enjoy it a lot. Really looking forward to play it. I'm intrigued to discover more about the story and the characters.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #43
DirectX Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temesis View Post
By all means Zefram, please do! I don't mind at all I'm also a big fan of your work on faster-than-light drive systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
Ah yes. The project is moving along nicely. We have a tentative date for the main experiment: April 5, 2063. Here's hoping everything will go fine.

Sorry but.. now I've to ask , I can't help it ... What's that all about?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #44

Let's just say Zefram Cochrane will (or already has, this is a temporal matter too) play a crucial role in our species inter-galactic relationships

Or let's just say I'm a huge nerd...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #45
DirectX Developer

I see
Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Or let's just say I'm a huge nerd...
Nerds FTW.

So anyway, I played the demo. Looking good! Definitely looking forward for it.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #47
Senior Automaton

Quote:
A sequel is definitely a possibility! Although Rune could travel to some warm countries for a chance.
Beta Barbados?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
Interesting, I think that limitation came up on these forums before. I remember a developer posting a poll here to see which was the most common screen resolution in order to develop the game for that resolution with Wintermute.

So Wintermute really offers no downscaling?
Afaik there is no free 2D/2.5D engine that does real time downscaling. Even for commercial engines it's a very rare feature. I can think of only the engine of secret files 2 & lost horizon (there might be others I don't remember) that offers such a feature which is in no way a trivial thing to implement for 2D.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Beta Barbados?
Buahaha!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #50

Default Enjoyed the demo and will be buying this

The demo was great and I will be buying this game as soon as you make it available. The English voice acting was of a very high standard. I am glad you kept the text so deaf people can play and enjoy it.

Places like adventure gamers and gameboomers are known to us gamers and I think if you have a good relationship with the editors there you will get plenty of promotion of your digital download.

Like machinarium, which initially was sold direct off the amanita design website, yours can be too; as soon as machinarium got a good reception in the gaming community it was picked up by the biggies like Steam / directdownload / metaboli aka sheep.com
Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #51

I've just checked the AG's review and the official site. I'm intrigued by the story, which is, without the doubt, inspired by one of my favourite SF movies. The graphics look clean and sharp, at least, as I could see from the screenshots. I'll probably download and play the demo tomorrow to see the other features. All in all, I wish all the best to the team.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #52
J.H
Frak.

Great demo, although I can't get it to play full screen, it only loads in a window. Man I hate windows7.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #53

I played the demo and enjoyed it. For a first-time indie effort, it's very impressive indeed. The graphics look great (even the 2D character overlays), the setting is intriguing and the story seems to get off to a good start.

The demo worked perfectly for me (Windows 7, 1680x1050), though it didn't stretch to fit the whole screen -- the game sat inside a black box, but that didn't bother me at all.

In terms of negatives, I'd have to list the animation as being typical adventure game fare -- relatively stiff with limited actions, characters that rotate on the spot, and slightly glitchy at times.

Some of the characterisation came across a little trite, such as the cocky co-worker with a pseudo-Boston accent that's basically the opposite of the main character, and the "old guy" that wishes he'd accomplished more in life. When the arrogant guy first called the old guy "gramps", I just had to roll my eyes.

Apart from that, I'm very much looking forward to the final game
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #54

Great. I'm looking forward to it. I love horror adventures.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #55
Replicant

Just finished the demo and really liked it. Great graphics, better than many high profile adventure games. Excellent cutscene quality too. Voice acting is good enough, taking into consideration I don't expect the very best. I like the inventory bag system and the controls/UI are very easy to use.

Also, the inclusion of a double-click to move between areas instantly option is a godsend, just finished Syberia II the other day (wonderful game but...) and I nearly went mad waiting for Kate to retrace her footsteps and go up stairs with agonizing slowness.

I also liked the general mood and ambience, with the soundtrack helping a lot. The cold north of the world makes for a great setting.

Curious about the storyline and will consider getting the full release. Will digital distribution via the official website be the only option?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #56

Hi Stuart! Great if you liked the demo! The will be English boxed release at some point, but I'm afraid I can't yet give any dates.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #57

Tried the demo. Liked the basic setting and puzzles that make sense logically and thematically. Graphics perhaps a bit bland - you'd expect an arctic research station to look more worn down and cramped. Characters seem a bit too much like stereotypes, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the full game. All in all, I was intrigued and want to play more.

On a different note (linguistic pedantry ahead): the attempt to include "exotic North Germanic language" in the mix did not turn out well. Someone should have told the voice actors that the "e" in Rune is NOT silent, and the main characters curious use of a nynorsk sentence delivered with an American accent sounds silly indeed. "Tre kompisene fron Narvik" - try finding "fron" in any Norwegian dictionary. In short - you should have taken more care with this or left it out entirely.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #58

We actually hesitated for a while if we should include the norwegian phrases, as the actor was American. At the end, we thought the Norwegians would appriciate if we try to include some Norwegian dialect in it, even if it would not sound 100% right.

Apparently not all of them!

But I'm glad if you are intriqued by the demo, Uhumsk.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #59

Temesis, is your team still on track for a 24.6.2011 release date?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #60

Absolutely! The game is ready for release, we are currently testing the webstore in a sandbox mode.